Train from Southampton to London

Brian1713

Thinking of taking the train after disembarking in early May. I’ve read that you will get no assistance with luggage and you must stow your luggage as best you can. After finally seeing a picture of a rail car I see they have an overhead bin. Just can’t tell if it’s big enough for a large suitcase. Can anybody let me know. Tia

After finally seeing a picture of a rail car I see they have an overhead bin. Just can’t tell if it’s big enough for a large suitcase. Can anybody let me know.
It's not a bin, it's just an open rack. Whatever you do, please don't put a big heavy suitcase up there, because it could hurt someone badly if it falls off.

People on CC have a tendency to wildly overthink this one. These are just commuter trains after all. So simply improvise and use whatever space there is, like on any other commuter train. In particular, where there are rows of seats back-to-back, the space between the seat backs can be a good place, subject to size.

Here is a picture showing the inside of a typical South West Train carriage. The overhead racks are for laptops and briefcases - luggage is best stowed near the doors, but keep an eye on it.

interior-of-south-west-train-carriage-cxh9x7.jpg

A lot of people grab a '2 facing 2' seat (see the photo in Bob's post...first proper seats on the right) and just park the luggage near the window and sit in the aisle seat. This is fine if the train isn't busy (eg not weekday rush hour!). So you know, if you have rolling luggage its a fairly easy 10 minute walk to the train station from City Cruise terminal (RCI, Celeb and NCL normally), but all other terminals will need a £7 cab ride.

Simon

Are you travelling on your own? If not and you can share the cost its well worth taking a taxi door to door. Coach is another option where your luggage is stored in a safe place. There is still the problem of transport at each end of the journey.

My mother managed to get a 24-inch hard-sided suitcase in the upper rack. Not saying I recommend this, just that it's possible (it was quite tightly wedged, so not going anywhere).

Of course, she also vowed that was the last time she was travelling with such a large suitcase...

It's not a bin, it's just an open rack. Whatever you do, please don't put a big heavy suitcase up there, because it could hurt someone badly if it falls off..

Depends what you by "big" or "heavy". A medium size 20kg suitcase will fit quite neatly and safely, but that is reliant on you being able to lift a medium size 20kg suitcase over your head.

Depends what you by "big" or "heavy". A medium size 20kg suitcase will fit quite neatly and safely, but that is reliant on you being able to lift a medium size 20kg suitcase over your head.
It reminds me of the question: "Where's the most dangerous place to sit on an airliner?" The answer is "an aisle seat", because of the number of injuries caused by bags falling out of the overheads onto aisle seat occupants. :)

Thank you all for your help, we are traveling on a Saturday . Would it be worth it to purchase a first class ticket ?

Personally, I wouldn't. Its not that much different to standard and you are only on the train for an hour or so. BTW, Saturday should be fairly quiet...no commuters!!

Simon

Thank you all for your help, we are traveling on a Saturday . Would it be worth it to purchase a first class ticket ?

We use trains extensively and certainly at busy times we always go first class but at the time you're travelling on a Saturday you'll be fine in standard.

We're visiting your part of the world next year btw. What would you recommend we see. We were meant to be meeting friends we met on a cruise but sadly that can't happen any more

Personally, I wouldn't. Its not that much different to standard and you are only on the train for an hour or so. BTW, Saturday should be fairly quiet...no commuters!!
And hence the Weekend First promotion - so it's pretty definitely not worth buying a first class ticket on a Saturday even if you'd like to travel in first class.