Norwegian Gem - Best boarding time?

Jitters

Hello! We will be on a cruise departing NYC at 6pm but boarding can begin anytime after 10:30am. What time would you recommend we board? We are staying in the Haven if that matters. Mostly, we'd hate to miss out on any fun (if it is indeed fun) but otherwise were planning on arriving around 4pm. I'm trying to determine if that is too late of an arrival.

Boarding starts around 11:30, 4 would be cutting it close, you need to be onboard no later than 4:30. Since you are in the Haven, you will be one of the first to board.

Thank you so much for the reply! Is there any real benefit to arriving earlier? Ideally, we'd like our son to attend school that day but if we are missing out on something worthwhile we could be persuaded.

Thank you so much for the reply! Is there any real benefit to arriving earlier? Ideally, we'd like our son to attend school that day but if we are missing out on something worthwhile we could be persuaded.

Well, it’s the first day of your vacation! Have a nice lunch, a cocktail, explore the ship, sign up your son for the kids club. We get there before 10 (we live 10 miles away in NJ), my kids insist we get their early. We board, have lunch, go find our cabin, unpack when the luggage comes, go to the kids clubs, go to muster, and then go up for sailaway, which is great. Depending upon weather, pools and hot tubs are open at boarding.

Well, it’s the first day of your vacation! Have a nice lunch, a cocktail, explore the ship, sign up your son for the kids club. We get there before 10 (we live 10 miles away in NJ), my kids insist we get their early. We board, have lunch, go find our cabin, unpack when the luggage comes, go to the kids clubs, go to muster, and then go up for sailaway, which is great. Depending upon weather, pools and hot tubs are open at boarding.

Thank you! It sounds like we are shortchanging ourselves day by going later. We haven't cruised in 17 years and I just don't remember the process well. I was worried everyone kinda just sits around waiting for their room etc. Is it fair to say we could use that day for the more mundane tasks like registering for kid clubs, settling in etc....but not much else until the boat departs?

Is it fair to say we could use that day for the more mundane tasks like registering for kid clubs, settling in etc....but not much else until the boat departs?

I would not call embarkation day on an NCL ship mundane. While you may do some mundane things, the line counts embarkation as a "day" of your voyage, not just from sailing onwards. The ship is up and running and expecting guests. It won't be sea-day level of activity, however the dining options will be open, and depending on the weather there will be music on deck (or the Spinnaker) and the atrium. Multiple bars will be open and the pools, hot tubs and sports court are usually available.

You won't be missing out terribly if you can't make it at 11 am, but 4 pm is pushing it. From NCL's website re: departure time:

"Departure time is when your ship sets sail. We highly encourage you to board no later than two hours prior to the departure time noted in your eDocs."

If it were me and I lived in NYC, I'd probably be there the moment the doors opened for entry to the ship. My guess is that the day's schooling will be spent thinking about the vacation. Grab the bull by the horns and begin the vacation when the opportunity arrives.

Cagney's and The Haven area will be doing lunch. Haven pool will be open and warm. Bar's are open (but charging NY taxes). It's also a great time to explore and start to make plans. We did the Gem Haven at Thanksgiving got on at 1 after driving in to NYC, wouldn't want to go much later than that.