CUC/CUP Question

Texasnee

I think I understand the USD to CUC conversion. And I understand that Cubans use CUP (Cuban Peso) not CUC (Cuban Convertible Peso). So, if we give our tour guide say, $50 CUC as a tip, do they have to convert it back to CUP in order to spend it? If so, how much would $50 CUC actually be worth to them?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Greetings

Many of the nicer stores only accept CUC. We were taken to a nice grocery store with decent stock which only took CUC. We then went to a store just a few doors down that was a peso based store and it was like night and day. Very little selection and what they had looked terrible. So if your guide (or their spouse) likes shopping at the better stores they will keep the CUC and not convert them.

Good Sailing

Tom

Greetings

Many of the nicer stores only accept CUC. We were taken to a nice grocery store with decent stock which only took CUC. We then went to a store just a few doors down that was a peso based store and it was like night and day. Very little selection and what they had looked terrible. So if your guide (or their spouse) likes shopping at the better stores they will keep the CUC and not convert them.

Good Sailing

Tom

Very interesting! Thanks, Tom!

Sent from my iPad using Forums