EPIC seriously considering upgrading to 2 bdrm Haven

SailLaVie

I've recently thought of upgrading to a 2 bedroom Haven suite on upcoming January cruise. It will just be myself and my 11 year old. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it? I'm thinking that it'll be a smaller group in the Haven for us to find others to chat with. I love my kid, but I need other adult conversations ;p Any thoughts/experiences are greatly appreciated.

We have loved our experiences in the Haven and find the smaller group easier to talk to new people. Our daughter tends to go to the teen club so she’s off running around anyway, it hasn’t always worked out that she’s made friends staying in the Haven, but it’s good for hubby and I. I outlined our experiences here if its helpful https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

We have loved our experiences in the Haven and find the smaller group easier to talk to new people. Our daughter tends to go to the teen club so she’s off running around anyway, it hasn’t always worked out that she’s made friends staying in the Haven, but it’s good for hubby and I. I outlined our experiences here if its helpful https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/

That's what I was thinking too... smaller groups is less intimidating to kids and to myself. LOL I have read that there's usually less kids on longer sailings (over 7 days) and/or younger ones during school months.

I have seen your review before, thank you :)

If you can afford it, I think you would love it. The cabins are fairly large and both of you would have such privacy having your own bedroom and bathroom. Although every kid is going to love to shower in the picture window to the ocean.

I think we would love it too! It's almost the same price for 3 people as it is for 2 and I'm trying to convince my son to go with us, but he doesn't want to use up all his holidays for the year in January! ;p

That shower AND tub look a real treat!

I think you should because I love the Epic Haven so much! But there are some things to consider.

Do you really need a 2 bedroom? I think as long as you can get yourself into the Haven address you don't really need to pay for a 2 bedroom suite. Are there any other cheaper room options? I just think you will get yourself into the 2 bedroom and realize it really is a lot of room for two people. Do you each really need your own bathroom when you could save money and share?

The other issue to consider is that your son will not be allowed up in POSH. He will be allowed of course in the Haven courtyard and that is where the families with children go. But POSH is such an amazing sundeck with comfortable loungers and a big fabulous bar that is nice to sit around and you will become friendly with the other cruisers because you will see the same group all week. But will it be fun knowing ds can't go in there and if you want to be together you also can't be there?

I think you will like the Haven resteraunt with just the 2 of you because the servers will all learn your name and make you always feel welcome and friendly. Cruisers meet up in the Haven bar too, that would be nice.

Take your ds to the Cirque dinner show. That, the hypnotist and Howl at the Moon were my teens favorite shows.

I think you should because I love the Epic Haven so much! But there are some things to consider.

Do you really need a 2 bedroom? I think as long as you can get yourself into the Haven address you don't really need to pay for a 2 bedroom suite. Are there any other cheaper room options? I just think you will get yourself into the 2 bedroom and realize it really is a lot of room for two people. Do you each really need your own bathroom when you could save money and share?

The other issue to consider is that your son will not be allowed up in POSH. He will be allowed of course in the Haven courtyard and that is where the families with children go. But POSH is such an amazing sundeck with comfortable loungers and a big fabulous bar that is nice to sit around and you will become friendly with the other cruisers because you will see the same group all week. But will it be fun knowing ds can't go in there and if you want to be together you also can't be there?

I think you will like the Haven resteraunt with just the 2 of you because the servers will all learn your name and make you always feel welcome and friendly. Cruisers meet up in the Haven bar too, that would be nice.

Take your ds to the Cirque dinner show. That, the hypnotist and Howl at the Moon were my teens favorite shows.

The only other Haven suites available would be with just the one bed. I don't mind sleeping with my dd, but would much rather not, if I don't have to. The cost for the 2 bedroom is $750 more than the Courtyard Spa room (and that room isn't in the Haven, which is kind of nice if spending the money to be right beside the pool and restaurants) and the cost of the Courtyard Penthouse is more than the 2 bedroom. So, I think the value is in the 2 bedroom, and then we would at least have our own bed! She would also enjoy having her own area, as she as the age where she's enjoying the preparations for going out as a lady ;)

As for my son, I'm still trying to get him to join us and it's only about $800 more for 3 people than 2. I do plan on enjoying the Posh area on occasion if my kid is happy in the kid's club. My son is over 21, so can go anywhere if he joins us. My daughter and I will see the Cirque show, though we have seen it before. She loves seeing the comedians and has a pretty quick wit and always has a good time. I like seeing the adult shows, but not sure I will this cruise.

Thanks for your help :)

I'd do it, if I were you. One, you would both have the privacy of your own bedroom and two, you would have access to the Haven.

The privacy isn't really an issue with my daughter, it would be if my son were to join us. But I totally agree with you on having our own place because tweens are very temperamental beings and it'll be good to have our own space. I know if my son doesn't come, my daughter will absolutely be over the moon to have that little room all to herself. She knows if her brother comes, she'll be on the sofa in the living room. LOL However, she's my heart, so I will absolutely share my bathroom with her if she wants to use it.

We have never been in a Haven suite and with 7 ports on our sailing, having the ability to get on and off the ship a bit easier is VERY appealing to me. I remember standing in the very hot, hot sun in Grand Cayman for about 2 hours waiting to tender back to the ship. I'm not sure about the butler though because I'm a do it yourself kind of girl, and usually ask very little of the cabin stewards. Usually just the bed making in the evening (never get it done in the morning cause I sometimes take a nap and feel guilty for messing the bed) the requisite towel animal for the kiddo, clean towels when needed, and ICE every day! I couldn't even imagine asking someone to unpack my suitcase for me. I think our butler will be greatly underused.