Paul Gauguin Newbie - just starting consideration - a few questions...

eriko1908

Hello to all!! I'm relatively new to cruising, but I'm pretty sure I got the hang of it. ;)

I'm starting to consider a PG cruise, but I have a few questions as the process starts...I'm interested in feedback from seasoned PG cruisers.

1) Do you typically book directly through the cruise line or do you use an agent?

2) Does a representative from a certain agency contact EVERYONE who orders a brochure through the PG website?

3) What is your favorite itinerary? and Why?

4) How far out do you typically book your cruise?

5) Is there anything you wish you'd known before your first PG cruise?

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to all that you guys have to share!!

Hello to all!! I'm relatively new to cruising, but I'm pretty sure I got the hang of it. ;)

I'm starting to consider a PG cruise, but I have a few questions as the process starts...I'm interested in feedback from seasoned PG cruisers.

1) Do you typically book directly through the cruise line or do you use an agent?

2) Does a representative from a certain agency contact EVERYONE who orders a brochure through the PG website?

Keep in mind many of your questions have answers on other threads already on the board.

There is no mentioning of agents on the forum, that is a no no.

1. I've booked both ways. Depends on price or incentives offered by cruise line or agency. If this is your first time to FP you might want to give consideration to booking directly, they know their product and it's all figured out for you, no guessing. If you use an agent you want one who frequents FP often as things can change often.

3. 10 day Society and Atolls, you get a tad of everything FP has to offer.

4. Depends on the cruise and how booked it can get. The summer time for north america is bust in FP, better weather, thus the bookings are fast and the prices typically more.

I have awlays used an agent. They can't be named, but find one who knows the ship, has cruised on it, so can give advice about cabins. They often pay incentives, either rebates or onboard credits.

They are all great. The 7-day is a good start, the 10-day is a nicer length, but you can pad the 7-day with a pre-cruise hotel stay. My favourite was the 14-day Marquesas trip, but I haven't done them all. I've done the 7-day 4 times. The Marquesas trip was special because those islands are so spectacularly beautiful.

That's varied. At the moment I have one booked for next October, and I booked that last June I think. We once booked 3 months in advance, but that was a last-minute sale, in the low season.

The strength of the sun. Take lots of sunscreen and coverups. And the discomfort of Fa'aa airport in Papeete--you just have to grin and bear it. Also, you spend very little time in your cabin, believe me, so for most it's not worth paying the huge uptick for a balcony cabin. One more thing--the islands are very expensive, so the ship prices make more sense--they are good value.

Whatever you choose will be great, I'm sure.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I wish I had known prior was"RELAX" you will have a good time no matter which cruise itinerary you choose. (Go for the longest time you can afford.) Don't worry about clothing.

There are some agents who are better than others. Look for one that specializes in luxury cruises since they probably have a good relationship with the cruise line and can help you more. Look for one that kicks back some part of their commission. Look what the cruise line is offering in terms of specials. Sometimes it pays to go direct.

Wendy is correct about Tahiti being expensive. Put your money in the longest cruise since it is really a better value.

You are in for a treat! We will be taking our 9th PG cruise (Bali to Fiji) in June.

Edited by Cruisedreamer1
more information

That is a very big question ...

2017 will be our 20th trip to FP, around 150 days altogether, we are still learning new things plus there is the constant evolution. But fro what it is worth here are a few biggies ...

1. Arrive a few days ahead of your cruise, it takes a few to get on island time.

2. Relax, this is a well oiled crew, they will do anything within their power to make your trip memorable, just ask if you want something you don't see.

3. Take in the cultural experience. This means on Tahiti you go down to the Roulottes, even if you only watch. Go to the Marche, only a few blocks from the ship. Go check out the Cathedral and frankly churches you will see on many of the islands. A sunday morning at a Polynesian Christian church is a great thing to do, the singing in their native tongue is a must do in my book.

4. Pack your clothes and then remove half, all newbies take way to much.

5. Tipping to an older Polynesian can be misinterpreted. The older generation grew up when tipping was a no no, Polynesian culture prided themselves on great service as inclusive to their job without a tip. The younger generation, under 35, will expect a tip.

6. Take the 2 hour tour after the cruise if you have a day room booked with the cruise line, well worth the visit to the marae and the museum.

7. Slow down, things are done a bit slower in French Polynesia.

8. Catch the kid's Polynesian dance show in the grand salon, well worth it.

9. If you're by yourselves and want to be sat at dinner with other couples don't show up as the dining door is opened. Arrive 20 - 30 minutes after the door is opened. If you want a table for only 2 it doesn't matter which time you arrive.

10. Get up early as the morning sun is just coming into view. Some of the best skies can be seen at the early hour. Go up to the La Veranda and grab a coffee and head for the rail, make sure you bring your camera.

I could go on and one ........... but there are 10 to start with ...

Everything TBK said.

ESPECIALLY...you really need to arrive a day or two ahead of time to decompress, but you can spend a LOT of money in the resorts. Not just the room (or Bungalow), but the on-site restaurants are really expensive. Spend as much time on the ship as possible and use the hotel only to rest after your flight.

Extra Especially...don't plan on hiding out in your cabin. The public areas are not crowded and are the place to be. When you dine, tell the maitre d' you would like to be seated at a larger table with others. We have made life-long friends at dinner on the PG.

Most important of all: The crew are the best anywhere and it is fun to get to know them too. Many of the crew that were on our first sailing in 2001 are still on board and greet us by name when we meet again!