Bed and breakfasts pre-cruise and how many days

mjthecruiser

I am currently checking out pre-cruise options for our 10 day PG cruise next year. As we are coming from NJ, we want some time to recover from the long trip and get used to the new time. We also want to explore Tahiti because we have never been before.

How long do you recommend staying pre-cruise? What do you like to do? Has anyone stayed in a b&b rather than one of the large hotels? Good or bad choice?

Do people tend to book on their own or through PG?

I am currently checking out pre-cruise options for our 10 day PG cruise next year. As we are coming from NJ, we want some time to recover from the long trip and get used to the new time. We also want to explore Tahiti because we have never been before.

How long do you recommend staying pre-cruise? What do you like to do? Has anyone stayed in a b&b rather than one of the large hotels? Good or bad choice?

Do people tend to book on their own or through PG?

Some people recommend Fare Suisse for one night.

I love the Intercontinental. Just visit the Carrefours to stock up on snacks, water etc and you can keep costs down somewhat.

If it's a few days pre-cruise, get off of the island of Tahiti and go to Moorea for a pre-cruise. You get there by ferry, very easy. There are smaller hotels and fares (as the simple hotels are called). But they are not plentiful, not much that you'd call a B&B on either island.

For some additional clarity. Most (not all) flights land on Tahiti late in the evening. It is then too late to go to another island and you have to overnight on Tahiti. On Tahiti the Intercontinental is commonly suggested if you want a good 4 star option. If you are only staying the one night I recommend Fare Suisse. A small pension that is inexpensive. They will pick you up at the airport at no charge and bring you to the ferry/ship the next day at no charge.

Although your cruise will stop in Moorea I would add 3 nights precruise, if you can, and take the ferry ($30 USD round trip) to Moorea. While various hotels are available on Moorea we have always stayed at the Hilton which offers spectacular snorkeling and we love the overwater bungalows.

Moorea offers the South Pacific charm that many of us dream of. The island of Tahiti does have some decent things to see but it is built up and not that "tropical".

If you do go to Moorea the ferry back to Tahiti leave you about 50 yards from the cruise ship. It is a 2 minute walk even with your luggage.

I agree that three nights on Moorea is perfect, if you can swing it. And one night on Tahiti island, depending on when your flight lands. Last time we just waited at the airport until flights opened up (we flew to Moorea, ferried back), but that meant hanging around the airport for three or four hours. Better to get a good night's sleep locally, take your time, sleep in, check out, then take a cab to the ferry dock and proceed to your hotel.

I've never stayed at one of the big hotels on Moorea. We have stayed at Les Tipaniers, which is a small hotel catering mainly to Europeans. It is lovely, and has a nice little beach. No overwater bungalows or anything fancy. There are other small pensions on the island, can't vouch for any of them. You might try tripadvisor. The Hilton is a beautiful property, btw.

Being also in NJ and did this two years ago, look into flying Hawaiian Airlines from JFK through Honolulu. Or United from Newark then Hawaiian to Honolulu. Do one night pre in Hawaii then head to Tahiti. If your cruise starts mid week you will also get a few days pre there. This can work if you do your own air. It was the same price for me from JFK as ATN was just from LA.

I also like the IC on Tahiti by the way. Have stayed there 8 or 9 times.

Thanks for the hint about staying in Hawaii precruise. I hadn't thought of that.

Cool. I misspoke above I obviously meant Hawaiian to Papeete after United to Newark. I used FF miles for my wife on Hawaiian for first class but I paid for mine. Worth checking out. The only downside is the return - long wait for flight in Honolulu unless you do a post cruise stay also. They are the only USA airline left that feeds you in coach! Emdee flew United from Newark for our cruise.

Edited by twin123185

If you can handle 3 more days, why not put it into a longer PG Cruise? You could fly to LAX, overnight and then fly out to Tahiti.

I think the best value is to be found on the PG. FP is expensive, quality of food and service just average to poor considering the cost. The islands are not that large that you can get an idea of each island with most of the ship's stops.

We have tried both going over early and also staying after the cruise. We put our money into our cruise experience with a longer cruise. We are planning our 9th PG cruise.