Five night on the Glory out of NOLA for Mardi Gras

cocacola86

Mardi Gras is on Tuesday March 5,2019 and the Glory cruises on the 2nd and would get back on the 7th is still a good time to go for Mardi Gras and has anyone gone to Mardi Gras and your thoughts on the best time to go

In New Orleans, Mardi Gras is a season, not just one day. Mardi Gras celebrations begin 2 weeks before and through Fat Tuesday, so for 2019 you'll get the best Mardi Gras experience before your March 2nd cruise. Enjoy your cruise!

My DW and I did a cruise and Mardi Gras this year and had a great time we actually left on the Monday before Fat Tuesday but arrived on Saturday night so we could enjoy the parades on Sunday. The view of what TV makes Mardi Gras out to be really isn't the truth. We enjoyed a fun filled day with families on both sides of us and just had a really good time. If you want beads you will have your fill along with alot of other trinkets. If Mardi Gras is something you think you would like to do then do it. Nothing like it in the world. As a poster before said Mardi Gras is a season not just a day. As it gets closer you will be able to look up a schedule for 2019 and be better able to plan what parades you would like to go to.

Any hotel recommendations

Book as early as possible and be prepared to spend $$$. (I caught the Staybridge Suites before they updated their MG rates for 2006 and got it for less than $150night.) The Royal Sonesta is pretty much Ground Zero at Mardi Gras, but you may think about the Riverside Hilton or a number of other hotels along the river/convention area if you wish to rest once in a while and be near the cruise terminal.

In New Orleans, Mardi Gras is a season, not just one day. Mardi Gras celebrations begin 2 weeks before and through Fat Tuesday, so for 2019 you'll get the best Mardi Gras experience before your March 2nd cruise. Enjoy your cruise!

Actually Mardi Gras IS just one day, literally the Fat Tuesday of which you speak, The season is Carnival.

To the OP, Mardi Gras is the day before Ash Wednesday, which marks the start of the Lenten season of fasting in the Roman Catholic church. If you wait until you return from your cruise, you will find the partying much more subdued. :cool:

Mardi Gras is on Tuesday March 5,2019 and the Glory cruises on the 2nd and would get back on the 7th is still a good time to go for Mardi Gras and has anyone gone to Mardi Gras and your thoughts on the best time to go

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not to take away from any of the other responses you've received because they've all been good, I'd say if you decide to visit any time around Mardi Gras, be sure to book far in advance because availability can be difficult and prices will be high.

NOLA is my favorite embarkation port, but I try to avoid the typically busy times in the city to enjoy my pre-cruise stay. NOLA has so much to offer year-round, you don't have to visit during peak times to have a great time and experience the culture. The people of NOLA are very warm and welcoming year-round and you'll enjoy a fun time no matter when you choose to visit. NOLA's downtown area has a lot to offer and is very walkable in the day time, but you'll probably want to arrange transportation for night time excursions.