Bike & Brewery in Juneau

WhiteRabbit1865

I did the ship excursions on this and had a great time and no shortage of samples - this link appears to be the same people and itinerary that the ship tour was - there is one short little uphill that had a few pushing their bike a short distance but they also weren't much into riding - I actually beat the tour guide up the hill - he threatened to put a leash on me to slow me down but I cycle regularly as did a few others on the tour.

Cheers

Dennis

We did this tour 3 years ago and really enjoyed it. I looked into booking it independently, but couldn't find info on their web site about doing so, and didn't see any advantage in it anyway. It would be the same tour, and you'd probably end up with a group from the ship anyway. I can't imagine that they'd give a price break either, since they probably have agreements with the cruise lines to book through them. If there were multiple vendors doing similar tours, you might get a better deal booking independently, but with this tour, they are the only ones doing it, so you might as well just book it through the ship.

You can just rent a bike- www.traveljuneau.com should have the vendor.

then easy ride to the brewery. It is open for walk up public visits.

If you take this option, be sure to take a map and get clear instructions from the bike rental place. It's possible to bike from downtown to 'The Valley' but you do have to know where you're going; no bikes on the expressway.

I'm usually one for pushing independent touring, but the Bike and Brew does take you out to the glacier and then you bike to the brewery past some nicer scenery. The view coming from town on the surface streets won't be as scenic, IMO, and now you have to bike back with a few 'samples' under your belt. :D

If I were to rent a bike, I can think of some much better options for bike-seeing, then turn it in and hit one of the many bars downtown that have Alaskan on tap.

"and then you bike to the brewery past some nicer scenery. "

On our tour we had to leave the bikes about a 1/2 mile from the main visitor center and walk a short distance - tour operator not licensed to come into the main visitor area - then on the return we boarded the van for the ride to the brewery.

If I get time I will see if i still have the photos of the bike ride on my other computer which has seen it better days and post a link.

Cheers

Dennis

"and then you bike to the brewery past some nicer scenery. "

On our tour we had to leave the bikes about a 1/2 mile from the main visitor center and walk a short distance - tour operator not licensed to come into the main visitor area - then on the return we boarded the van for the ride to the brewery.

If I get time I will see if i still have the photos of the bike ride on my other computer which has seen it better days and post a link.

Cheers

Dennis

It makes sense they wouldn't try to take the group all the way to the brewery. You can reach nearly every place in town by bike, but the area the brewery is in is quite industrial with big rigs on a narrow road.

I've just seen the group buzzing along the back loop.

As I said, I'd just take the shuttle to the brewery and plan a nice bike ride.

• 2 weeks later...

I rented a bike downtown, road to the Mendenhall Glacier and stopped at the Alaska Brewery on the way back for some nice samples on my own. They have some nice bike lanes and trails. This is a pretty good ride so not recommending it for anyone who does not bike a lot and can't do 25 miles RT with some small hills.

Archived