Ochio Rios Dunn river falls

ronl

I was wondering if anyone taken the Dunn,s river fall excurtions swim with dolphins

I've done the Dunn's River Falls excursion; I'm sorry to tell you that I will never get off the ship in Ocho Rios again. It is not worth the hassle you get from the very aggressive and rude vendors.

I've done the Dunn's River Falls excursion; I'm sorry to tell you that I will never get off the ship in Ocho Rios again. It is not worth the hassle you get from the very aggressive and rude vendors.

Is hard to Waldo across those rooks as the water coming down to get to the Dolphins. And is there another way to get to see the dlophons

So nothing has changed in 31 years (surprise, surprise). We, due to a company benefit at the time, went to Jamaica for a week and stayed in Montego Bay. One of the provided excursions was to Ocho Rios and Dunn's River falls. What a scam at the falls. Our over-all impression of Jamaica and the people was, for us, never again. If we are ever on a cruise that stops there we will do the same as you.:cool:

BTW, for all who think that the ship has aggressive sales tactics, visit Jamaica........your mind will be forever changed about what "aggressive sales tactics" are.:eek:

Edited by ar1950

Climbing the falls is beautiful and fun. However, the agressive side vendors at the end is a turnoff. We have

The falls as an attraction were nice, except and however, and I'm assuming things are different now (31 years later), when we were there they had no real "system" for getting a "guide" to go up the falls with you. A lot of locals would grab you and say "I will lead you up the falls" and afterwards want a fairly large "tip" for having done so. Also, we saw more than one person take a spill and get hurt.

Anyway, couldn't agree more about all of the aggressive (my wife would say threatening) "vendors" everywhere that we went.

It's not only aggressive vendors but you need to make sure you do not bring ANYTHING of value with you to the falls even though you are on a Princess sponsored excursion. The locals "watch" the belongings while you climb the falls.

On our excursion 20yrs ago, people had cameras, money, jewelry stolen while they were supposedly secured by tour guides. They also look for tips as soon as you come off the falls, before you realize all your stuff is gone.

I agree with the OP, Jamaica is not safe to even get off the ship and it's not just aggressive vendors.

Is hard to Waldo across those rooks as the water coming down to get to the Dolphins. And is there another way to get to see the dlophons

I have no idea where the dolphins are, but there is a stairway next to the falls and you can go up and down the stairs instead of climbing the falls themselves.

The falls as an attraction were nice, except and however, and I'm assuming things are different now (31 years later), when we were there they had no real "system" for getting a "guide" to go up the falls with you. A lot of locals would grab you and say "I will lead you up the falls" and afterwards want a fairly large "tip" for having done so. Also, we saw more than one person take a spill and get hurt.

Anyway, couldn't agree more about all of the aggressive (my wife would say threatening) "vendors" everywhere that we went.

We have been to the falls about 6 or 7 times since 1983. Basically what has happened there is Jamaica has "nationalized" the attraction and taken away most of the freedom to enjoy it. Years ago you could pick up a local to carry your camera, take pictures and accompany you up. Now you are forced to join a tour group at the top and wait in assigned groups to climb with an official guide. The last time we spent a good 30 minutes before we were allowed to start at the bottom. We were continually pressured to buy the DVD, etc. as we were moved from pavilion to pavilion. After completing the climb, you can look forward to aggressive and sometimes dishonest vendors at the top working their tricks on you. Things like pushing trinkets on you pretending they were a good will gesture and then attacking you for not paying for them. Also keep a sharp eye on any valuables, wallet, etc.

You would have to pay me to ever return. It is no coincidence that the cruise industry has basically abandoned Ocho Rios.

Totally agree with you. I really enjoyed climbing Dunn's River Falls, but the agressive vendors in the parking lot were scary.

I was on a ship tour to the Falls when our bus stopped at a bunch of tables on the side of the road where ladies were selling trinkets. The bus driver made all of us get off the bus and said that only those who bought something could get back on the bus!! :eek: I reluctantly bought an overpriced junky trinket. The sellers of the trinkets turned out to be relatives of the driver! Such a scam.

Like many others have said, I will never go back to Jamaica. If I would happen to be on a ship with that port, I'd stay on the ship.