La Terrazza vs. The Restaurant

Shift Colors

I have read many posts pertaining to the seating and reservations in La Terrazza. (We are many months from our first SS cruise.) So, I'm curious to learn why there is such a rush to make a reservation in La Terrazza vs. The Restaurant.

Would seasoned SilverSea cruisers please elaborate.

Thanks.

Peter

1. Terrazza limits bookings for evenings.

2. It is the informal alternative to restaurant on formal evenings

3. Some people prefer the more intimate atmosphere - and the food. It's lowered lights and candle-lit and more tables for just two. There's also the option of eating outside.

Jeff

In addition to what Jeff said, La Terrazza is a nice alternative to the same ol' same ol' of The Restaurant. In our experience in La T, the meals were generally jollier. I wouldn't say the food is necessarily better, but it is a change.

--Rich

We ate at La Terrazza our first night of our cruise. I must say, it made me feel a bit spoiled for the rest of the cruise, as I much enjoyed the more intimate atmosphere of LT. Also, the presentation and timing of the 5-course meal was very nicely done. (Not to mention, I love Italian, and found the food quite good)

SB

We ate at La Terrazza our first night of our cruise. I must say, it made me feel a bit spoiled for the rest of the cruise, as I much enjoyed the more intimate atmosphere of LT. Also, the presentation and timing of the 5-course meal was very nicely done. (Not to mention, I love Italian, and found the food quite good) SB

Thank you for your comments.

There are so many favorable posts regarding LT while virtually nothing about The Restaurant. This has caused me to wonder if or why anyone dines in The Restaurant.

Thank you for your comments.

There are so many favorable posts regarding LT while virtually nothing about The Restaurant. This has caused me to wonder if or why anyone dines in The Restaurant.

Because LT is fully booked.

Jeff

My Husband and I actually perfer the Restaurant over La Terrazza. When it was The Terrace you had to be seated by 7:45pm and it felt a little rushed. I much prefer the Restaurant because we are late diners and usually show up around 8:30pm and can take your time.

Don't know if it has changed since becoming La Terrazza. Can anyone answer this question.

Cindy

• 2 weeks later...

When we sailed in Jan-Feb La Terrazza was still serving a single menu nightly so everyone ate the same. The rumor was it was going completely Italian at some point. We particularly loved French night...it's just a nice change and the food was equally as good as the restaurant.

And yes, it is more intimate and informal I'd agree.

I have a slightly different take. We just completed a 14 day cruise from Hong Kong to Tokyo on the Shadow, and a number of us universally preferred The Restaurant. The food was wonderful and "gastronomic" at The Restaurant; service was never rushed, and the staff had gotten to know us and there was a familiarity/rapport we had. The food was, I would say, excellent to outstanding. There was never a problem securing a table for 2 if we wanted one.

In La Terraza, service was hit or miss and the food satisfactory (only). I had to ask 5 times to secure a $10.00 wine by the glass, as an example. There was a "branzino" on the menu; several of us ordered it only to find it was chilean sea bass then the plates were delivered (the waiter acknowledged it wasn't really branzino). Though we had 2 more reservations made for La T, we cancelled them.

Probably this was an aberration from some other ships but several of us universally preferred The Restaurant. I thought it was really outstanding.

How early can you find out what the dining theme is in LT for a particular evening, or do you simply book when you get on board and wait and see!

In the same vein - how would things differ in both restaurants on a formal night? The evenings will be warm on our upcoming cruise and I cannot think of anything more appealing than a table for 2 out on deck under the stars dressed in all our finery!:)

",,,I cannot think of anything more appealing than a table for 2 out on deck under the stars dressed in all our finery!"

LOL,, my thoughts EXACTLY! If we were on the same cruise, we'd have to wrestle for the tables! :D

and FWIW, my TA said that the menus are known the night before or early morning the day of the dinner. She also advised to book (quickly) all the nights we think we'd want to dine in LT upon embarkation and when the daily menu's come out, cancel that reservation if you don't like the features.

Mistrtj,

I'm off on vacation to your fair country (visiting Cape Cod) in the next few weeks, so in case I don't post again before you and your good lady leave, please promise that you'll return and write a review of your upcoming trip and your opinions on the ship!

I shall look forward to reading of your experiences when you return (and of any tips you might have)

Have a good time! :)

We just completed a 14 day cruise from Hong Kong to Tokyo on the Shadow.....

I would love to do that trip - how do you rate Japan compared to other places you have visited on a cruise?

At least on the Shadow, La T is only Italian--no more "theme" nights. You can be either formal or informal in La Terraza on formal night. But no one will take issue is you show up in all your finery.

....OK, I'll omit the crown jewels from the finery and just enjoy the stars instead!;)

The evenings will be warm on our upcoming cruise and I cannot think of anything more appealing than a table for 2 out on deck under the stars dressed in all our finery!:)

Unless something has changed, dining in LT is indoor only.

Unless something has changed, dining in LT is indoor only.

That's a shame!:eek: My SS Brochure states "La Terrazza (formerly the Terrace Cafe) is an a la carte Italian restaurant offering panoramic ocean views, terrace dining al fresco and a sublime selection of authentic Italian dishes"

...Maybe al fresco is only lunchtime?:confused:

My next question has to be whether anyone has ordered dinner in their suite and dined out on their balcony?

I would love to do that trip - how do you rate Japan compared to other places you have visited on a cruise?

We went with RSSC on that trip in October and while Japan was OK, China was fantastic. Looking forward to our first SS cruise to Norwegian Fjords in Aug. The info found on this board is just so appreciated!

...FWIW, my TA said that the menus are known the night before or early morning the day of the dinner. She also advised to book (quickly) all the nights we think we'd want to dine in LT upon embarkation and when the daily menu's come out, cancel that reservation if you don't like the features.
In April, the themes were listed (in the Chronicles, IIRC) ahead of time, and the draft menu was available the night before. The M'd in La Terrazza can probably find you a sample menu if you're interested in a particular theme.

We went with RSSC on that trip in October and while Japan was OK, China was fantastic. Looking forward to our first SS cruise to Norwegian Fjords in Aug. The info found on this board is just so appreciated!

You are really spoiling your future.....first SS cruise - and to the ULTIMATE DESTINATION. Norwegian fjords was the best cruise ever taken - and we've done 19 SS to this point.

It is FANTASTIC. Opened the drapes first morning after cruising into the fjords overnight and was overwhelmed -- OMG -- amazing sight.

It will be a hard act to follow.

But keep on cruisin' - arrival into Cape Town is a close second....;)

Archived