Mykonos- 6 Ships in Port

lks1512

It looks like Mykonos is a pretty easy port to navigate on your own, particularly if we want to take the ferry to Delos- or at least I have searched this board and that seems to be the consensus. Using one of the recommended port guides, it appears that our stop in Mykonos next summer will be with six other cruise ships- which just seems overwhelming! Anyone have any advice to navigate Delos or recommend a private tour (looks like most still take the ferry?) with those crowds? Our goal really is Delos because my sons are very interested in the Ancient Greek ruins, but feel free to convince me otherwise, too! Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have visited Mykonos twice.

Because of the number of ships in on our first visit, we booked a shorex to Delos.

We travelled to and back from Delos by boat, (not the ferry) from and back to our ship.

I don't know if that is typically how shorex operate on other cruise lines in Mykonos, but might be worth considering if your ship offers a shorex. With that number of ships in that day it could be your best option.

• Thanks 1

We have visited Mykonos twice.

Because of the number of ships in on our first visit, we booked a shorex to Delos.

We travelled to and back from Delos by boat, (not the ferry) from and back to our ship.

I don't know if that is typically how shorex operate on other cruise lines in Mykonos, but might be worth considering if your ship offers a shorex. With that number of ships in that day it could be your best option.

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it. The description within the shoe excursion states

• Guests must be able to walk approximately 10 minutes between shuttle station and pier to board ferry bound to/from Delos." This makes me think it is THE ferry, not a chartered boat, so, for the price, it seems a bit much if we are going to be on the same transportation as everyone else. I guess I can call the cruise line for clarification.

It looks like Mykonos is a pretty easy port to navigate on your own, particularly if we want to take the ferry to Delos- or at least I have searched this board and that seems to be the consensus. Using one of the recommended port guides, it appears that our stop in Mykonos next summer will be with six other cruise ships- which just seems overwhelming! Anyone have any advice to navigate Delos or recommend a private tour (looks like most still take the ferry?) with those crowds? Our goal really is Delos because my sons are very interested in the Ancient Greek ruins, but feel free to convince me otherwise, too! Thank you.

What site did you use to find the number of ships? We will be there on May 22 next year and would like to find that information as well

Thanks

What site did you use to find the number of ships? We will be there on May 22 next year and would like to find that information as well

Thanks

I used Cruisetimetables. There are some discussions on the accuracy of using the sites listing ships in port and other factors, such as time in port, so please consider the source!

Whatsinport is another one which we often use, although as not all the sites are accurate you should check more than one.

Sometimes the "cruisecalendar" on these sites connects via link to the official port site.

Some official port sites give the cruise calendar, some do not, but the official port site is always worth trying first. Some also give the name of the berth and its location within the port, others only list the ships and their timings in port.

I used Cruisetimetables. There are some discussions on the accuracy of using the sites listing ships in port and other factors, such as time in port, so please consider the source!

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind

Whatsinport is another one which we often use, although as not all the sites are accurate you should check more than one.

Sometimes the "cruisecalendar" on these sites connects via link to the official port site.

Some official port sites give the cruise calendar, some do not, but the official port site is always worth trying first. Some also give the name of the berth and its location within the port, others only list the ships and their timings in port.

Thanks, will check that on as well

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, vluvski said:

We have 7 ships in port on our Mykonos date! 😞 Did you ever find a tour that offers private boat transfer to avoid the crowds of the ferry with so many ships there?

What website  did you get this information from?  On the 22nd of May?

48 minutes ago, nealjr said:

What website  did you get this information from?  On the 22nd of May?

Hi Neal, we are not sailing on 22nd May, but on 23 July. Cruisetimetables shows 6, but I couldn't find the other port page listing again where I saw 7.

23 hours ago, vluvski said:

We have 7 ships in port on our Mykonos date! 😞 Did you ever find a tour that offers private boat transfer to avoid the crowds of the ferry with so many ships there?

I booked a tour through Viator.  Not 100% thrilled, but not too pricey and I should email them or question what happens with the large crowds. I thought the reviews were okay and the tour sounded better than the ship.  I tabled the planning until after the holidays, so I need to look at this again!  Please post if you find anything!

*This is not a recommendation but a sharing of information that I found!  I have not been on these tours.

I found this on tripadvisor with 4.5 stars and own boat transportation to Delos. $205 our for family of 4.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g189430-d12464855-Ancient_Delos_Tour-Mykonos_Cyclades_South_Aegean.html

I did learn from a cruising facebook group that pre-arranged tours get priority boarding the ferry, though I do not know if that applies to the purchased tickets or not.  1 person mentioned being unable to get to Delos on 2 separate trips for that reason- the ferry was simply full.  If we decide we must see Delos, I will probably book this over the direct ferry option.

My other dilemma is that we will also make stops in Athens and in Katakolon (Olympia), and I am now getting worried we will get overwhelmed with lots of sunny, hot, exposed ancient ruins while missing the natural beauty or "modern architecture" in the cities.  I thought I found a great boat tour at a great price, but it is apparently in the wrong folder and not out of Mykonos, but Kos! Ugh!

I hope this is helpful to you!  Keep me posted if you find any other great options!

Edited by vluvski
incorrect information and link

1 hour ago, vluvski said:

*This is not a recommendation but a sharing of information that I found!  I have not been on these tours.

I found this on tripadvisor with 4.5 stars and own boat transportation to Delos. $205 our for family of 4.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g189430-d12464855-Ancient_Delos_Tour-Mykonos_Cyclades_South_Aegean.html

I did learn from a cruising facebook group that pre-arranged tours get priority boarding the ferry, though I do not know if that applies to the purchased tickets or not.  1 person mentioned being unable to get to Delos on 2 separate trips for that reason- the ferry was simply full.  If we decide we must see Delos, I will probably book this over the direct ferry option.

My other dilemma is that we will also make stops in Athens and in Katakolon (Olympia), and I am now getting worried we will get overwhelmed with lots of sunny, hot, exposed ancient ruins while missing the natural beauty or "modern architecture" in the cities.  I thought I found a great boat tour at a great price, but it is apparently in the wrong folder and not out of Mykonos, but Kos! Ugh!

I hope this is helpful to you!  Keep me posted if you find any other great options!

This information is great and looks like the one we booked, it does not include entrance fees.  I am a little nervous about where to meet and the timing as their is apparently an old and a new port? 

We are also going to Athens, and booked a taxi tour for our family.   I think Athens and Mykonos woll be our two big “archeological ruins” days, but we are going to Kotor as well, and were planning to climb to the fortress and won’t dock until the afternoon, so that will be another sunny and hot day!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We have just returned from a b2b cruise in the Caribbean where on both legs, the itinerary was altered as a result of too many skips at a given port - Celebrity cited port congestion as the reason for the rescheduling. At one island, it was meant to be 5 ships but we ended up with only 3 ships on the day we visited. We visited all the islands on the itinerary, just in a different order.

I have no idea if this happens in the Med but with numbers like 6 or 7 ships in port on a given day, I would hope the companies may consider this.

On the down side, since I book private tours, I then had the issue of contacting them all to reschedule my trips. Luckily I was able to move the date on all my trips but this may be more of an issue in the Med.