My Experience with Medical on Carnival Breeze

sjb.illinois

Hi all,

I didn't include anything about my experience with medical on my review of our recent trip on the Breeze. But after reading a scathing review of the Breeze which called out medical I feel compelled to mention it here. Obviously, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and experiences vary (witness the large discrepancies in the Breeze reviews). But the recently posted review describes something in Medical that was completely different from mine. So here goes.

First off, I am a nurse. And I am a super over-protective mom. I've never broken a bone in my life, and I'm the one telling my kids not to run in flip-flops. But on the first full day (at-sea) of the cruise, which was windy, we were walking outside on deck 5 and I kicked a deck lounger trying to cut a corner. Smack. I kicked it hard. In flip-flops. I looked down and and I could tell from the appearance of my toe more from the sensation that it was broken. I've stubbed my toes a thousand times, and it always hurts - but this time it was totally sideways. So off we went to medical- me, DH, and the 2 kids. I think I was hoping to get a quick a-ok, it's nothing, send-off so we could go back to the cabin and get ready for the first formal night (even though I knew it was broken, so this was wishful thinking). Medical was easy to locate, but as soon as we went through the door we could tell it was busy. Medical serves passengers as well as crew, and they were full up. There were a number of crew as well as fellow passengers in the waiting area, and it was evident each exam room was full, including the ICU room. Still, I was greeted right away, by a pleasant if slightly no-nonsense nurse. She kept me posted though, saying they were very busy, she'd be with me as soon as she could, etc. I was given forms to fill out, told when I'd be seen, then shown into a room. After the nurse took x-rays, the physician came to speak with me when he was available. I was advised I did have a displaced fracture, and that because of this they advised me to seek the care of an orthopedic physician as soon as possible. They advised me to see a physician in Grand Turk, where we would be docking the next day, and said to check back with them about the arrangements (an appointment is made through the port agent they explained). The physician then 'buddy splinted' my toe, and sent me on my way. He advised I stay off my foot, use a wheelchair, and take something for the pain; the nurse asked me which I preferred to take, and I told her I had ibuprofen in my cabin. I asked about a wheelchair, and she said I get it from guest services, and they would have room service bring it down to medical. By this time though I really wanted to just go up and get ready for dinner (I had sent DH and the kids up earlier) so I went up myself, hobbling along, not getting a chair just yet. Now, because this was an accident that occurred on board, security was called, and I had to fill out a bunch of extra forms. Security was very pleasant as well. The next day we did not dock at Grand Turk, but to be honest with you, I didn't want to see a physician in Grand Turk anyway- not for a broken toe, anyway. So I managed (using a wheelchair that night only), staying off my foot, keeping it iced, elevated, etc., using ibuprofen. Later in the week, after a day out in Nassau, I stopped back by medical to get some more tape to re-wrap my toe. There was no line, and the person behind the counter (I don't know if she was a nurse, PA, NP, or what have you) was polite and pleasant, and gave me some Coban wrap, and off I went.

I also was chatting a bit with the nurse while she was examining my toe, since my DD had joked that I should get a job as a nurse on a cruise ship. The nurse replied to that that I surely did NOT want her job - she works 20 hour days sometimes, and is extremely busy. So I would have given her the benefit of the doubt even if she had been a bit surly with me - which she was not.

Regarding the other review (http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=112183)

... I knew ahead of time to pack all manner of Dramamine/Meclizine/Pepto/Immodium/Gas-X etc., because if you go to medical, you run the danger of being quarantined. I would have thought most other cruisers knew this, and would not be surprised by the extreme precautions in place to prevent the spread of possible Noro-virus. I'm sorry this other cruiser's husband was quarantined, but frankly - I am glad the medical personnel take these precautions to keep others from getting sick.

That's all - i just wanted to share my thoughts - FWIW.

I too needed to seek medical attention while on the Breeze this summer. My physician had ordered up blood tests that needed to performed every 4-5 days or so. I had contacted Carnival Special Services prior to the cruise to see is this was possible, and they assured me that indeed it could be handled and exactly what the price would be. The tests were performed in a professional and timely manner, and the staff could not have been more accommodating. A friend cruising with us developed a UTI and also was seen by medical several times during our cruise. She too was impressed with the attention she received.

I am sorry that others may have not had a positive interaction with the folks in the medical unit on the Breeze. I guess everyone has different experiences, but just wanted to reiterate that we were more than satisfied.

Oh bummer on the toe situation! It will never look the same again. Which toe is/was it?

I'm the queen of broken toes but not anymore since I now have diabetes and chronic plantar faciitis. I'm in sneakers about 100% of the time. I have the ugliest toes you would ever want to see on a person.

I have myself to the point where I don't even have the broken toes or fingers checked out anymore unless its my thumb. The best finger splint I ever made was with a child's size thing used to help open airways. The doctor was so impressed that he used my example to teach emergency responders this tip!

Oh bummer on the toe situation! It will never look the same again. Which toe is/was it?

I'm the queen of broken toes but not anymore since I now have diabetes and chronic plantar faciitis. I'm in sneakers about 100% of the time. I have the ugliest toes you would ever want to see on a person.

I have myself to the point where I don't even have the broken toes or fingers checked out anymore unless its my thumb. The best finger splint I ever made was with a child's size thing used to help open airways. The doctor was so impressed that he used my example to teach emergency responders this tip!

Yeah, my husband, who is Mr. Tough Guy, offered to just straighten it right out for me there on the deck by giving it a yank- which nearly had me keeling over at the thought. I'm tough, but orthopedics is so not my thing.

It was my left pinky toe, so I'm not too concerned about it. I really should get it checked out. But I know they'll just do what I'm doing - which is keep it protected/splinted.

I would have left him pull it straight. I've had my share of accidents so I can deal with pain. I'm a female machinist and one time I had a vice loosen up and the brass part I was countersinking smashed my fingernail and it filled up with blood below the nail. The old timers (men) took out the smallest sized drill we had and drilled through my nail to relieve the pressure. I will never forget how good it felt when the blood had room to escape. Pure relief but I did play the girl card and wouldn't work the rest of the day :)

Also, did you have travelers insurance and did it cover it? On a cruise to Mexico on the Elation, DH developed an inner and outer ear infection - doctor said it was the worse he had ever seen. He prescribed antibiotics and DH recuperated within a weeks time. The doctor and his staff were professional and we were confident in their expertise. We did not have travelers insurance! IIRC the cost was around $75.00. I could have turned it into our insurance company when we returned home but decided not to pursue it.

Hope your toe is feeling better and I know the pain!

regarding the cost and the insurance -- I have health insurance (and had met my deductible for the year) plus I had bought trip insurance for the family for the whole trip. For that reason I didn't think twice about going to medical since I knew it was broken. The trip insurance we purchased through insuremytrip dot com (which I highly recommend to anyone comparison shopping or with questions). We bought Travel Guard Gold for $113.00.

Apparently, since my accident occurred on the ship, there was no charge, according to the nurse. I can't say when or how this applies - only that in my case I didn't have to pay for the visit or the wheelchair. If I had gone to the private physician on GT I would have had to pay up front and then file a claim with my two insurance plans.

Having said all that, since I needed xrays (3 views) I can imagine the visit would have been pricey, and I can only imagine the cost of the orthopedist on GT. So I'm really glad I had the insurace, even though I didn't need it. I won't travel without it.

regarding the cost and the insurance -- I have health insurance (and had met my deductible for the year) plus I had bought trip insurance for the family for the whole trip. For that reason I didn't think twice about going to medical since I knew it was broken. The trip insurance we purchased through insuremytrip dot com (which I highly recommend to anyone comparison shopping or with questions). We bought Travel Guard Gold for $113.00.

Apparently, since my accident occurred on the ship, there was no charge, according to the nurse. I can't say when or how this applies - only that in my case I didn't have to pay for the visit or the wheelchair. If I had gone to the private physician on GT I would have had to pay up front and then file a claim with my two insurance plans.

Having said all that, since I needed xrays (3 views) I can imagine the visit would have been pricey, and I can only imagine the cost of the orthopedist on GT. So I'm really glad I had the insurace, even though I didn't need it. I won't travel without it.

Good going. Our next two cruises/travel I did insure through insuremytrip.com via travelguard. I'm more concerned about being air lifted and all the things that go with it. Even though we are healthy, you just never know. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing! I was on your cruise and am glad (for you) that we didn't dock in Grand Turk :)

On my cruise last year (Valor 2011), I got stung by a coral or fish in Isla Roatan. The staff on the beach rinsed it with vinegar but I was having a reaction and my knee blew up. I went back to the ship and was greeted at the door by a wheelchair and taken to the medical center. The nurse (PA?) told me that I should take ibrupofen, benedryl and ice it and that I did. I too pack an entire emergency kit (complete with the above items plus tape, bandages, vapor rub, tiger balm, heat wraps, etc.) and it is worth it. The medical unit did not charge me (but said she could charge $20 if I didn't have the Benedryl or we could buy it up in the shop for $7).

My interaction was perfectly fine and professional as well!

Good going. Our next two cruises/travel I did insure through insuremytrip.com via travelguard. I'm more concerned about being air lifted and all the things that go with it. Even though we are healthy, you just never know. :rolleyes:

I agree about the airlifting/medevac-ing fear. Especially with kids along, I just can't bear the thought of being in a different country and NOT having all the best options for care - including medevac. Also, I personally know two separate people who had medical emergencies out of the country who required medevac-ing. This is not a chance I'd ever take, in terms of having to pay this out of pocket.

Thanks for sharing! I was on your cruise and am glad (for you) that we didn't dock in Grand Turk :)

On my cruise last year (Valor 2011), I got stung by a coral or fish in Isla Roatan. The staff on the beach rinsed it with vinegar but I was having a reaction and my knee blew up. I went back to the ship and was greeted at the door by a wheelchair and taken to the medical center. The nurse (PA?) told me that I should take ibrupofen, benedryl and ice it and that I did. I too pack an entire emergency kit (complete with the above items plus tape, bandages, vapor rub, tiger balm, heat wraps, etc.) and it is worth it. The medical unit did not charge me (but said she could charge $20 if I didn't have the Benedryl or we could buy it up in the shop for $7).

My interaction was perfectly fine and professional as well!

I have to say after reading a couple of these posts I'm adding a couple more things to my first aid kit - like vinegar. Plus, I won't skimp on the ibuprofen next time - I'm taking the whole bottle. I only took about 20 this last trip, and I had to ration them at the end (!!!).

Thank you for sharing your experience, sorry you had to use the medical on the ship. Broken pinkie toes are quite painful especially if you have to come home and wear shoes since it is winter. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Archived