Car rental in Santorini

Man3148

We are sailing Celebrity Reflection here in a couple of weeks.

Anyone here had any experience with Tony's Car Service in Santorini?

I almost got scammed by another car rental company by placing a reservation, (won't get into the details here, but that company has been well documented on CC and on Travelocity). I then went to Tony's web site as I'd read wonderful reviews. I submitted my info for a quote and 6 days later, no contact. Nothing in junk mail either. Wondering now if I fat fingered my email address. Just looking to see if anyone else had any experience with Tony's

Alternative question. Is there any need to reserve a car in this port with only 3 ships in port that day? I think it is us, another small ship, then a larger ship in at 3:30 pm. We looked at all the options for this port and thought that car rental to explore the island would be perfect.

Thoughts from those who have been here before?

It is always wise to reserve a car.. But if you walk along the road near the bus station you will see multiple rental car places. Chances are good that you will be able to find a rental, but it might mean stopping at more then one agency. Keep in mind that cruise ships do deposit lots of souls on the island, but the passengers are not the main customers of rental cars. Santorini is also a major vacation destination and many folks who stay on the island will rent cars.

Hank

We rented a car through Tony's and had a positive experience. There was only 1 ship in port besides us, but we got on the first tender and to the car rental place as early as possible. It allowed us to head to Oia first and spend a few hours there before the tour buses arrived.

Once the crowds started to arrive, we drove to a number of other places around the island at our leisure. It was a great way to spend the entire day.

• 2 weeks later...

I second the Tony's recommendation. We had no issues and throughly enjoyed our day. We headed to the lighthouse end (opposite of Oia), stopped at the winery on the way back towards Fira, and got to Oia in time for a late lunch.

We have booked through Tony’s based on good reviews here, based on Travelocity, and based on generally sketch reviews of some of the other car companies on the island. Thank for you advice. Did they move their car pick up location closer to cable car exit? I had read older posts saying that it was somewhat confusing and a 20 min walk to find (hotel location). Web site says less than 150 meters. I like close and easy. Can someone who has rented recently confirm the close location?

We rented from Tony’s in May. We were on the first tender at 7 and up the cable car. After a short 7 min walk we found ourselves outside Tony’s. It was a quiet easy walk. I just followed directions on google map. The hours were 8am so waited from 7:45 til 8:15 then after ringing bell at hotel next door a lady came out. I guess they were getting a late start that day. The good thing is the traffic and kids had died down by the time we were leaving. There is a school nearby and as we waited there was constant stream of parents dropping off kids. So yeah we got a great rate online but the car was crappiest of all the ones we rented on the cruise. It served its purpose by getting us around. We drove to Oia for photos, shopping,and breakfast. Then we drove to some wineries on our way across the island to akrotiri ruins. It was a good day [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums