How early can you drop off luggage at Canada Place -Vancouver

rgmacm

We would like to check out of our hotel 8:30-9 am the morning of our cruise, drop off luggage at Canada Place, then do a bit of sightseeing that morning...and return to the port around noon to check in...

Is that possible? and if not, are there places to store luggage until we can check in? (we weren't planning to purchase a transfer from the cruise line, but if that's our ONLY option, I guess we can...)

Edited by rgmacm

What hotel are you staying at ? If it is the Pan Pacific, they will deliver your cruise luggage to the terminal. I believe that the Fairmont across the street has the same service.

...VTX-Al

If you aren't at one of the two above-mentioned 'take luggage for you' hotels, the earliest official start time for luggage drop is between 10am and 10:30am. In practice there are many folks who mention being able to drop bags as early as 9:30am, especially on less busy days, but if you want to guarantee being able to drop it I would not go before 10am.

Depending what you want to do it's probably most efficient to leave bags with your hotel, do your sightseeing, then return to the hotel once you are done before heading to the pier. This of course depends where the hotel is (how far from the pier, how far from sightseeing site(s), which direction) but unless you are staying at the airport odds there will be less wasted time by doing this than delaying the start of your sightseeing by 60-90mins...

• Like 1

We would like to check out of our hotel 8:30-9 am the morning of our cruise, drop off luggage at Canada Place, then do a bit of sightseeing that morning...and return to the port around noon to check in...

Is that possible? and if not, are there places to store luggage until we can check in? (we weren't planning to purchase a transfer from the cruise line, but if that's our ONLY option, I guess we can...)

Thoughts....

• agreed.... knowing which hotel and how far you are from the terminal can make a difference on the logistics.
  • return to port at noon? If you are willing to skip the welcome breakfast.... some are showing up closer to 2pm to avoid peak congestion with security, customs and registration.

This cruise is not until next year....so I don't have a hotel yet, and honestly, logistics with several things - luggage the morning of debarkation/transportation from airport, etc... are playing a HUGE role in it's selection and location. (Of course, price is to be considered too...not really wanting to spend more on the pre-cruise hotel than we're spending on the cruise...) :rolleyes:

If we can't leave luggage at the pier early, we'll be more open to spending more on the hotel and leaving it there then returning to pick it up before check in.

If we CAN take luggage to pier early, then we would consider a hotel a little further out...drop off luggage that morning then do some sightseeing in the general area.

I'm still in the beginning stages of planning obviously so open to many scenarios.

Thanks!

Edited by rgmacm

On a 3 ship day a couple weeks ago we left our hotel, Delta Suites, at 9:30. We walked approximately 4 blocks to Canada Place and dropped our luggage. We then proceeded on to the rest of the boarding process. Could not have gone smoother. On this day there were port employees everywhere making sure you stayed on the correct route. As I recall it would have been easy to drop bags and head back out to sightsee. I have heard though that things could be done differently depending on what's happening at CP that day. I would stay at Delta Suites again. Less expensive than the hotels right on top or across from CP, but a very nice hotel and still really close. We booked refundable rate early and watched hotel prices rise leading up to the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't have a hotel yet, and honestly, logistics with several things - luggage the morning of debarkation/transportation from airport, etc... are playing a HUGE role in it's selection and location. (Of course, price is to be considered too...not really wanting to spend more on the pre-cruise hotel than we're spending on the cruise...) :rolleyes:
Delta is a good choice, but I see a price increase since they became part of the Marriot.

@rgmacm: What is your cruise date? Perhaps we can shortlist some hotel options with availability and distance for you.

xlxo: cruise date is still a ways out...Aug. 26, 2017 (I'm a 'planner' ha)

I would LOVE some recommendations for hotels....economical without sacrificing cleanliness or safety. :) Close to Canada Place would be a "plus"!!

Edited by rgmacm

With the date of your cruise... here's some nightly rates looking at Booking.com in USD for one night on August 25, 2017.

• $167 Empire Landmark » check reviews for potential issues
  • $181 Rosedale » I really like the price
  • $211 Blue Horizon » fav for budget travellers
  • $224 Holiday Inn Vancouver Downtown
  • $227 Metropolitan
  • $242 Century Plaza
  • $250 Delta » 5 blocks from cruise terminal
  • $251 Auberge » 3 blocks from cruise terminal
  • $280 Georgian Court
  • $322 Hotel BLU
  • $325 Hampton Inn & Suites » Fav for Hilton collectors
  • $337 Shangri-La
  • $339 Westin Grand
  • $344 Sheraton Wall Centre
  • $347 Opus Hotel
  • $348 Sutton Place
  • $366 Grande Residence at Sutton Place
  • $378 Trump
  • $385 Marriot Pinnacle
  • $400 Hyatt Regency
  • $446 Westin Bayshore
  • $474 Four Seasons
  • $483 Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
  • $506 Fairmont Waterfront » across the street from the cruise terminal
  • $558 Fairmont Pacific Rim » 3 blocks from cruise terminal
  • $613 Rosewood Georgia

Rates can go up and down between now and your cruise. Check online reviews for potential issues.

Blue Horizon is a popular choice for budget travelers with a great neighborhood for restaurant choices. However, I like Rosedale for the bigger room. These two choices are HALF compared to living across the street from the cruise terminal.

Delta is 5 blocks away, Auberge is 3 blocks away

Downtown and Economical has one perfect overlap - YWCA Hotel. For anyone who can get over the concept of 'staying at the Y' it is by far the best value choice in the entire city and surrounding municipalities too - it's cheaper than airport hotels but excellently located downtown. Private double/twin rooms with en suites, just like any regular hotel, run CAD$143 in peak season - that's about US$110 at current exchange rates... and it's among he best-rated hotels in the city on Tripadvisor, Expedia, Booking .coms

Empire Landmark will almost certainly be demolished by the time OP cruises, as every Vancouverite who hasn't been living under a rock for the last fortnight should know. Since the owners want to knock it down, and it's a ridiculous building that didn't fit the area when it was built (and still sticks out like a sore thumb), plus the prelim plans call for two smaller towers that will be much more in keeping with the surrounding area and no impact on protected view corridors, it's virtually guaranteed to be approved at the committee meeting Dec 12th. The only reason they're still taking bookings is because of the delay getting in front of the committee - lots and lots of building work in Vancouver, so long queues, and they'd have to be really silly not to consider the possibility of delays finalizing approval for demo date.

The only way you'll realistically get better rates than the Rosedale price above is to do a 'blind booking' on priceline or similar, or wait until as close as possible to the last minute and check nonrefundable rates to fill rooms - it's easy to find <$150 3* properties on Expedia etc. even in cruise season a week to a month out.

With the date of your cruise... here's some nightly rates looking at Booking.com in USD for one night on August 25, 2017.

• $167 Empire Landmark » check reviews for potential issues
  • $181 Rosedale » I really like the price

Rates can go up and down between now and your cruise. Check online reviews for potential issues.

ay

I just booked the Rosedale...and by calling them directly, got not only a AAA rate (something i didn't expect since it's in BC but made it less than ANYTHING I've found within close proximity to pier, etc... ) but also got the breakfast included. Booking through online consolidators doesn't give you that. (just as an fyi to anyone else reading this... :D)

Thanks for the info xlxo!!! :):):)

• 1 year later...