Celebrity Infinity Review-February 18 2018 Antarctica and SA

johhnnyt

thank you so much for sharing Home from work sick today, & this is a nice treat.

Agree with you about Mickey, he was on our NZ cruise, & was the best speaker/presenter I've ever encountered on a Celebrity ship. We were lucky enough to run into him quite a bit on shore & around the ship & he's just an all around great guy.

I agree Kitty, he has that enthusiasm we all had (have) as children, and he makes learning interesting

Thanks for sharing. You must have great expertise to navigate in those waters full of icebergs, they look huge.

And with icebergs what you see on the surface is only 10% of the total size. 90% of their size is hidden underwater. They do bring on an Ice Pilot for the whole Antarctic part, and usually have between 3-6 EXTRA lookouts on the bridge as well. He was an intersting fellow to talk with. A few years back, a storm came in the same week he was supposed to leave, so was stuck in the South Pole for an extra 6 months with the 100 man skeleton crew that man the 60 permanent stations during the winter since no ships, planes, heleicopters can come in during that period

Wondering if the heat kept up in your cabin? When we did this in 2010 it definately DID NOT. At the time they still had the wall mounted hair driers in the bathroom. We stretched it out over the bathroom door and used it to help heat the room!!! Also CC2 cabins. Infinity was not designed for such cold weather!

I was a bit worried about that too, but at least where I was didn't have a problem, cabin was comfy from 30 degree weather of Antarctica to the 85 degree weather of Montevideo

Ours was the second of the two Antarctica sailings that year. We heard the weather was so bad on the first one that there was water that came into Michaels Club on deck 4 due to the heavy seas. Ours was PERFECT ! Plus we did the following two sailings and ended up in Ft Lauderdale.

Yes, unlike any other cruise I ever took, this cruise is made or broken by the weather. No matter what cruise line, ship size, or date you take, odds are the schedule will end up changing because of the weather. To be honest I could of cared less which ports we stopped at, as the main reason for the cruise was to experience Antarctica, the other places were all just great bonuses.

Love the flying penguins! :)

I thought they were Sooooooo coool

Thanks for your review, Johnny. We were on the 21 January 2018 cruise. Yes, Puerto Madryn was dropped because of the Pod Issue. Unfortunately, we didn't get to Port Stanly in the Falklands, either. The weather was really bad the day and night before we were to anchor and tender. 70 MPH winds and 20 ft seas. We were in the Aqua Class Staterooms up in deck 11 aft. She was rocking and rolling that night. We had to tie the shower door handles together to keep them from banging all night long :-) . We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise, too.

Thoroughly enjoyed your review. Since we live in the middle of Alaska and always fly to embarkation and disembarkation ports we generally do B2B or B2B2B series -- just makes more sense given the air fare. In 2015 we did the second Antarctic cruise of that season followed by BA to Valparaiso and then onto Ft. Lauderdale. I usually say that my favorite cruise is the last one we were on, but that B2B2B series was truly my favorite. Just an interesting contrast in ports and scenery.

Thoroughly enjoyed your review. Since we live in the middle of Alaska and always fly to embarkation and disembarkation ports we generally do B2B or B2B2B series -- just makes more sense given the air fare. In 2015 we did the second Antarctic cruise of that season followed by BA to Valparaiso and then onto Ft. Lauderdale. I usually say that my favorite cruise is the last one we were on, but that B2B2B series was truly my favorite. Just an interesting contrast in ports and scenery.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the review. I met 3 couples onboard that were doing the b2b and one that were doing the b2b2b series like you described. I think you nailed it with the thought that the contrasting ports just make it even better.

I hope someday to do a b2b2b series, time will tell I guess

I genuinely believe each cruise seems to be better than the last, but this ones a tough act to follow:D:D