Upgrade bidding for uk guests

glennmartin

Have they? Can I ask how you know that. I tried to bid for a Baltic cruise on the Getaway this year with no luck. I phoned and emailed customer services here and in the US to no avail. I was told it was not open to the European market and there was no plans to introduce it. The last email came from a senior manager.

We have 2 NCL cruises booked in the coming year and would love the chance to bid,

They've just recently opened up bidding to the UK. It still only applies if there is space on the cruise though.

Of course there has to be room. Okay, sort of. Sometimes they offer bidding and there are little or no cabins to move up to - but they hope there will be with other upgrades or cancels.

As to UK - others have posted in the longer thread they have done it. And, there are some agencies that do not do it.

Have they? Can I ask how you know that. I tried to bid for a Baltic cruise on the Getaway this year with no luck. I phoned and emailed customer services here and in the US to no avail. I was told it was not open to the European market and there was no plans to introduce it. The last email came from a senior manager.

We have 2 NCL cruises booked in the coming year and would love the chance to bid,

Yes, but it only started last month or so. I imagine your Getaway cruise predated it, but the new cruises should have the possibility - although not everyone receives the chance on every cruise.

There are a couple of threads in the forum from that time with UK cruisers posting about it. Interestingly, the UK one is open to people in studios, unlike the US one, so I took particular note.

I received my upgrade email 17th August for a November cruise.

Still pending.

I booked through my bank's travel service, not directly with NCL UK.

It would seem we have exactly the same opportunities to upgrade as our USA friends.

The cruise I am on is fully booked so I am not holding out much hope - but at least it was nice to be invited to bid.

The bidding prices are in £s not $s too - so for sure its a UK thing now.

Happy BritBidding folks - good luck to us all!

Yes, but it only started last month or so..

Mine came in August 17th ...

Loooooooooong wait lol! I had to look back at the email as I have tweaked my bids a bit - but the first email came in on Aug 17. I guess that would be around the 90 days in mark or thereabouts.

OK I'm intrigued tell me more. Is the idea to book an inside stateroom for example then bid for a "better" cabin? Is the system available when you book the cruise or is it a separate web site? Lastly is it invitation only?

We book through NCL UK, I recently paid the final balance for our Xmas cruise on Norwegian Spirit and the next day I got an email giving me the opportunity to Bid for an upgrade from a Balcony Cabin to a couple of suite options plus every time I log into MyNCL the opportunity is there to bid. However there is a minimum bid Which for an aft facing suite was £385 pp and for a larger suite was over £500 pp ,which is probably good value for a suite but as we are quite happy with our balcony we shan’t be bidding this time

OK I'm intrigued tell me more. Is the idea to book an inside stateroom for example then bid for a "better" cabin? Is the system available when you book the cruise or is it a separate web site? Lastly is it invitation only?

Not everyone is invited so basically you book what you are happy with - (an inside is fine if you are happy enough with that should you not be able to bid or your bid is unsuccessful ).

If invited to bid, you can bid on categories up to two higher, so for an inside you could bid on a balcony and on a mini suite. (I think I have that right).

I've no idea how they decide who gets the invites - we are platinum but I am sure there are new NCL cruisers who have had invitations to bid.

Who knows.

Once you bid, your bid remains active up until up to 48 hours prior to cruising. At any point during this, you can go into your bid and tweak it or withdraw it. If successful your card is charged and they let you know.

Hope this makes sense :confused:

Not everyone is invited so basically you book what you are happy with - (an inside is fine if you are happy enough with that should you not be able to bid or your bid is unsuccessful ).

If invited to bid, you can bid on categories up to two higher, so for an inside you could bid on a balcony and on a mini suite. (I think I have that right).

I've no idea how they decide who gets the invites - we are platinum but I am sure there are new NCL cruisers who have had invitations to bid.

Who knows.

Once you bid, your bid remains active up until up to 48 hours prior to cruising. At any point during this, you can go into your bid and tweak it or withdraw it. If successful your card is charged and they let you know.

Hope this makes sense :confused:

This means it is an up sell rather than a (free) upgrade?

Yes, I guess. Its not a free upgrade - but people are getting bargains from the bidding process.

I have always been a believer in booking the cabin I am happy with - anything else would be a bonus. There is a "meter" comes with your bid email showing poor to strong - so its up to you where you bid on the scale. I think its poor, fair, good and strong if I remember rightly.

Shows the minimum bid in ££s

You bid how much you are willing to pay for it. So no, it is not Free, you pay what you are willing to pay and NCL says if your offer is an acceptable amount to them. If others who bid are willing to pay more then it is their bid that will be accepted.