San Diego port and Global Entry

SeaSickCecil

Hi all. Using search in West Coast port board didn't work, nor did a more general search of CC so I thought I'd ask the experts here. Panama Canal cruise ending in San Diego...does the cruise port use Global Entry?

Thanks so much for any help. I've learned so much from everyone here and you are part of the reason I'm a HAL fan (the wonderful crew is the other part).

Rachel

(just shy of 4 star mariner)

No Global Entry.....however, you don't need it. All guest file through a single line past a CBP station with 2-3 officials. Customs forms are no longer issued or required...so it goes very quickly....or at least as fast as the gangway (as long as you have your passport in hand).

David

David provided a very thorough answer. Although, there have been reports of the Customs line not moving that fast. David is in much better shape than we are, would vote for a cab ride. Seem to recall the walk to Amtrak is slightly uphill.

David provided a very thorough answer. Although, there have been reports of the Customs line not moving that fast. David is in much better shape than we are, would vote for a cab ride. Seem to recall the walk to Amtrak is slightly uphill.

As I recall, the uphill climb is not that bad. Be prepared to get some negative comments from cabbie for going all of 3-4 blocks (you might give him the tip and fare upfront to avoid this - $10 should be fair IMO.)

As I recall, the uphill climb is not that bad. Be prepared to get some negative comments from cabbie for going all of 3-4 blocks (you might give him the tip and fare upfront to avoid this - $10 should be fair IMO.)

The walk will do us good after all the food on the ship. We did the trip in reverse several years ago when we did the Eastbound Panama Canal...we took the train from Burbank to San Diego and walked to the cruise terminal, so we know what to expect.

And yes, cabbies are really unhappy with those short fares...try the 3 miles from my home to the Burbank airport if you want to get dirty looks! Thank goodness Uber and Lyft don't turn down anything ;p