P &O excursions from Hamburg

Eglesbrech

We are visiting Hamburg later this year and on the other occasions we have been there we have been in a central berth within reasonable walking distance of the city. So in the past we have just walked in, avoiding the shuttle queues and used the city boats, visited the shops etc.

This time we appear to be being berthed at the Altona berth which is apparently much further out and not walkable. Given the that we have been to Hamburg a few times has anyone done any of the P&O tours from here that they would recommend eg Lubek.

Also any information about your experiences of the ships shuttles at this berth / coming back or using public transport (I believe there is a water bus near) would be appreciated in case we do decide just to do Hamburg again.

We are visiting Hamburg later this year and on the other occasions we have been there we have been in a central berth within reasonable walking distance of the city. So in the past we have just walked in, avoiding the shuttle queues and used the city boats, visited the shops etc.

This time we appear to be being berthed at the Altona berth which is apparently much further out and not walkable. Given the that we have been to Hamburg a few times has anyone done any of the P&O tours from here that they would recommend eg Lubek.

Also any information about your experiences of the ships shuttles at this berth / coming back or using public transport (I believe there is a water bus near) would be appreciated in case we do decide just to do Hamburg again.

We used the ship shuttle, I can’t recall how long it took but it ran smoothly as expected. We were there when most things were closed and walked to the model railway museum which was ok if it’s your thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We visited Hamburg twice this August on a Norwegian round trip from Soton on board the liner QM2 and berthed at the recently opened cruise port. A previous visit in 2006, also on the QM2, berthing was near the centre. An excursion guide said silting up and lack of shoreside land caused the change.

We did two excursions, 'Lubeck & Niederregger' 6 hours and 'Medieval Luneburg' 5 hours. Not much to choose between them, on balance the second, as the first is available on some Baltic cruises. As always, to make the coach journey more interesting take a road map.

Some 3-4 hr from the berth, you pass the massive glass German, Airbus Ind.'s assembly facility, a blaze of light at night.

49 cruises 19 ships 1Liner(!) 5 cruise lines

Edited by joro44
3-4 not 3/4

We visited Hamburg twice this August on a Norwegian round trip from Soton on board the liner QM2 and berthed at the recently opened cruise port. A previous visit in 2006, also on the QM2, berthing was near the centre. An excursion guide said silting up and lack of shoreside land caused the change.

We did two excursions, 'Lubeck & Niederregger' 6 hours and 'Medieval Luneburg' 5 hours. Not much to choose between them, on balance the second, as the first is available on some Baltic cruises. As always, to make the coach journey more interesting take a road map.

Some 3-4 hr from the berth, you pass the massive glass German, Airbus Ind.'s assembly facility, a blaze of light at night.

49 cruises 19 ships 1Liner(!) 5 cruise lines

According to google maps the airbus facility is quite near the centre of Hamburg. Are you sure you mean it is 3 to 4 hours from the berth?

Spike II: crows fly, ships swim. Lines are dropped, astern off the berth into a pool, rotate 180 degrees, regain forward motion, slowly work through the port ( from the new terminal not former central one), had 6 pm dinner, was on the rail sometime about 9 pm., full darkness.

Spike II: crows fly, ships swim. Lines are dropped, astern off the berth into a pool, rotate 180 degrees, regain forward motion, slowly work through the port ( from the new terminal not former central one), had 6 pm dinner, was on the rail sometime about 9 pm., full darkness.

Yes I get that BUT the airbus facility is only 5 miles down the river from the new cruise terminal! I wanted to clarify as we are sailing into and out of Hamburg in the future and would like to see the airbus site. Anyway I’ll keep an eye on QM2 on the Marine traffic AP when she next visits Hamburg to get a better idea. Perhaps we are talking about different things - I’m interested in the airbus site at

Finkenwerder.