What'sThe Best Way To See Kauai ???

gskline

My wife and I have been to every Island EXCEPT Kauai. We are sailing on the POA with our best friends. We like to book our shore excursions ahead so that we don't feel rushed at the last moment.

So I need your help. What do all of you recommend we do on Kauai? I don't want to miss anything good on this Island. Are the NCL excursions acceptable or is a private operator better? Whenever we travel I always get the best information on destinations from people who have actually been there:).

My wife and I have been to every Island EXCEPT Kauai. We are sailing on the POA with our best friends. We like to book our shore excursions ahead so that we don't feel rushed at the last moment.

So I need your help. What do all of you recommend we do on Kauai? I don't want to miss anything good on this Island. Are the NCL excursions acceptable or is a private operator better? Whenever we travel I always get the best information on destinations from people who have actually been there:).

It has been over 30 years since we went to Hawaii, but we are sailing on the POA on March 19th. We are renting a car in Kauai because we can see more faster on our own. We will head for Waimea Canyon the first day, and I have read that you should beat it up there with no stops and then do your stops on the way back. The clouds come in late in the morning and then you can't see anything.

BTW, you need to purchase a parking pass right after you get your car to be sure the lot won't fill up.

We haven't planned the whole itinerary, but will probably head north the second morning. I intend to take a couple of guidebooks and really study them so we can maximize our available time. If you don't want to rent a car, I'm not much help, as we rarely take the ship's excursions (though we often arrange private ones.) Have fun!

Nancy

What do all of you recommend we do on Kauai?

I have heard that this is the best island for a helicopter ride - and that the Napali Coast is a must see. I've also read that the Kalalau trail is on the bucket list too.

I'm going on HAL so I can't speak to the NCL excursions. We also only have 1 day in Kauai so I plan to do the helicopter and then do my souvenir shopping and then catch my breath from a few busy days.

BTW, you need to purchase a parking pass right after you get your car to be sure the lot won't fill up.

We haven't planned the whole itinerary, but will probably head north the second morning. I intend to take a couple of guidebooks and really study them so we can maximize our available time. If you don't want to rent a car, I'm not much help, as we rarely take the ship's excursions (though we often arrange private ones.) Have fun!

Nancy

Thank you Nancy. We hope to have some fun. We also tend to do private tours. I always go on the Travel Forums, before a trip, and find out all the do's and don'ts. We took our 3 college age children on the Freedom of the Seas (Eastern Carb). I was recommended to a private tour guide on St. Maartin's. He started with one and now has several mini vans in his fleet. Our kids said that was their most memorable activity that we did the whole cruise!

Greg

Kauai is told to be the most beautiful of all the islands and many people swear the helicopter rides are the way to go. I would do that, except my eyes would be closed the entire time and I would be hanging on to the seat for dear life, so we won't be doing that!:p

It is also our last stop on a very busy itinerary. We are not going to try to see it all on any island, but we are going to make our priorities. We plan to relax in Kauai while getting a taste of the island. We will be skipping the canyon, as we have a pretty nice one here in our state.;) Instead, we are going to let Robert's Tours do the driving here.

Here is our Kauai itinerary:

Thursday - Kauai (May 19)

Morning at leisure

Take free shuttle to Anchor Cove Mall/Kalapaki Beach

2:30 PM - Wailua River/Luau Combination Tour through Robert's Tours

Friday - Kauai (May 20)

7:00 AM - Hanalei Tour through Robert's

Napali coast Sailby

I would like to mention that one of my Guide Books (Hawaii by Cruise Ship) does make very specific recommendations for Kauai. They suggest renting a car on Day 1, going to the canyon in the early morning, then drive up the Coconut Coast to the North Shore Beaches. For Day 2 they recommend taking a helicopter tour or one of the ship sponsored excursions due to the short day on the POA. Because we chose to do the luau in Kauai we are not following that plan, but I think it is a good one and is one that many on this board follow.

I hope that helps!:)

Rent a car and drive to sights and then a hike / walk around.

Of course as another mentioned some of the most beautiful sights and views are from the air and a helicopter ride is breathaking and will worth it.

Our plans are to drive to Waimea Canyon 1st thing Day 1, with stops at Spouting Horn, Poipu Beach, Wailua & Opaekaa Falls. After this we will be doing an excursion called "Tubing the Ditch". After this we'll return our car and Day 2 will be a helicopter tour. I hear from many folks on these boards that the helicopter tour is the highlight.

Check out the attached list of websites for lots of excursions. A couple other things that have been mentioned to be really fantastic on this island is the zipline & mudbugging excursions. We almost diecided on the zipline but changed to the Tubing at the last minute.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Websites for Hawaii Excursions - Kauai.pdf

We did b2b on POA last October, we did heli ride first week and words cannot express the magnificence of the island by air.

The second week we did the Hanalei Tour through Roberts this was for us one of the best and memorable tours we have ever done out of 20 plus cruises. To see the taro fields from a hilltop looked just like a huge patchwork quilt, Hanalei Bay is unbelievable.

We did b2b on POA last October, we did heli ride first week and words cannot express the magnificence of the island by air.

The second week we did the Hanalei Tour through Roberts this was for us one of the best and memorable tours we have ever done out of 20 plus cruises. To see the taro fields from a hilltop looked just like a huge patchwork quilt, Hanalei Bay is unbelievable.

I am glad that you liked the Hanalei tour. We are booked on that one ourselves. I have heard other excellent reviews. What else did you do on the tour?

Kauai is told to be the most beautiful of all the islands and many people swear the helicopter rides are the way to go. I would do that, except my eyes would be closed the entire time and I would be hanging on to the seat for dear life, so we won't be doing that!:p

It is also our last stop on a very busy itinerary. We are not going to try to see it all on any island, but we are going to make our priorities. We plan to relax in Kauai while getting a taste of the island. We will be skipping the canyon, as we have a pretty nice one here in our state.;) Instead, we are going to let Robert's Tours do the driving here.

Here is our Kauai itinerary:

Thursday - Kauai (May 19)

Morning at leisure

Take free shuttle to Anchor Cove Mall/Kalapaki Beach

2:30 PM - Wailua River/Luau Combination Tour through Robert's Tours

Friday - Kauai (May 20)

7:00 AM - Hanalei Tour through Robert's

Napali coast Sailby

I would like to mention that one of my Guide Books (Hawaii by Cruise Ship) does make very specific recommendations for Kauai. They suggest renting a car on Day 1, going to the canyon in the early morning, then drive up the Coconut Coast to the North Shore Beaches. For Day 2 they recommend taking a helicopter tour or one of the ship sponsored excursions due to the short day on the POA. Because we chose to do the luau in Kauai we are not following that plan, but I think it is a good one and is one that many on this board follow.

I hope that helps!:)

This is very helpful information. When I mentioned a helicopter ride to my wife, I got that look that she too would be hanging on for dear life with her eyes closed also LOL:D

Greg

This is very helpful information. When I mentioned a helicopter ride to my wife, I got that look that she too would be hanging on for dear life with her eyes closed also LOL:D

Greg

I'm going without hubby on heli ride. He didn't want to go & there is just no way I'm missing this for myself. I am doing this on our 2nd day so it's a short port day anyway. He will spend time relaxing which I know he will be thankful for anyway as we have a busy itinerary. From what I hear there is a shuttle to the shopping area so if you were to do it without your wife she could always spend her time spening more of your money.:D

I'm going without hubby on heli ride. He didn't want to go & there is just no way I'm missing this for myself. I am doing this on our 2nd day so it's a short port day anyway. He will spend time relaxing which I know he will be thankful for anyway as we have a busy itinerary. From what I hear there is a shuttle to the shopping area so if you were to do it without your wife she could always spend her time spening more of your money.:D

That will put a smile on HER face and the look of FEAR IN MY EYES:eek: !!!

Greg

We sailed in Dec and did the Heaven and Earth Tour with NCL-6 hour land excursion (including Hanalai Bay) and 45 minute Helicopter ride. This was a bit expensive but it was one of the best excursions we have ever done! The helicopter will take you places you can not get to by car-just an awesome ride. I know you can also book with Blue Hawaii independently and this may be a cheaper way to do the helicopter ride but the NCL excursion was great.

we were on PoA last November...

sorry, but I have to say... :p

helicopter rides is the *best* way to see Kauai, hand down... :rolleyes:

the scenery are just so eye popping, you can't even blink your eyes... ;)

Did you book your helicopter ride independently or was it an excursion through RCL?

GypRasc,

Did you book your helicopter ride through NCL or on your own. If independently, which helicopter company is the best to go with?

Did you book your helicopter ride independently or was it an excursion through RCL?

we gone for Island helicopter, on our own... ;)

and they did pick us up and drop us off right @ the pier...

http://www.islandhelicopters.com/

full 55 minutes ride (and yes, I've my GPS to proof that) for $180/pp... :D

183729_10150115579808673_721123672_6501654_1827653_n.jpg

151048_485045388672_721123672_5826086_7383462_n.jpg

163046_485046588672_721123672_5826102_6939416_n.jpg

GypRasc,

Did you book your helicopter ride through NCL or on your own. If independently, which helicopter company is the best to go with?

Independently through Blue Hawaiian. I have read SOOOOOO many excellent reviews on these boards about them that I didn't hesitate to do it independently. Remember, if you do decide to do this, schedule it for early morning as later in the day clouds tend to roll in & visibility is reported to not be nearly as good.

All my excursions this trip have been booked independently. Saving a ton of money!

we gone for Island helicopter, on our own... ;)

and they did pick us up and drop us off right @ the pier...

http://www.islandhelicopters.com/

full 55 minutes ride (and yes, I've my GPS to proof that) for $180/pp... :Dquote]

Thanks for the really cool pics Somonia. The map with all the red dots, are those areas you flew over?? Does this tour have a DVD that you can buy afterwards of your flight?

Greg

Independently through Blue Hawaiian. I have read SOOOOOO many excellent reviews on these boards about them that I didn't hesitate to do it independently. Remember, if you do decide to do this, schedule it for early morning as later in the day clouds tend to roll in & visibility is reported to not be nearly as good.

All my excursions this trip have been booked independently. Saving a ton of money!

GypRasc,

I see that you're on the POA in a couple of weeks. We're about the same age and I would love to hear about your trip when you get back. My email is: gskline3@verizon.net

GypRasc,

I see that you're on the POA in a couple of weeks. We're about the same age and I would love to hear about your trip when you get back. My email is: gskline3@verizon.net

I will definitely be posting my review. The info on these boards is priceless so I do want to help those still in the planning stages. My countdown clock is now at 24 days & counting.:D

Do these independent helicopter tours fill up quickly? How far ahead should we book? :confused:

Not sure how quickly they fill up. This may be determined by the time of year also, but not sure. I booked mine on Jan 9 for an Apr 1st flight @ 8 am. Others in my party just booked theirs on Feb 11 for an 8:30 am flight. As I said in a previous post it is recommended you go as early in the day as possible due to clouds moving in & less visibility. Although your credit card will be billed immediately their cancellation policy does let you cancel prior to 24 hrs before the flight so if you think you want to do it I wouldn't wait to do it too close to your desired date.

Archived