Birding & Cruising

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:03 PM.
Ontario - Canada
1,524 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
There are several sub-threads of birding here and there while cruising; so starting a more general thread where “all” regions can be included. This thread is in hopes that people will share their experiences of birding while they cruise!

There are a few of us out there - let’s join forces, unite, and share information!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Heather & Anthony - We cruise and we bird
7 Cruises; 38 Ports; 71 Nights at Sea
Next Up:
South America (=X= Infinity Dec 2017) Roll Call Chart / Excursions
Russia & Baltic Sea (=X= Eclipse Jul 2018) Roll Call Chart / Excursions

__________________________________________________ ____________________
Personal Travelogues (click individual links, below):
South America (=X= Infinity 2017) - live blogging as of Dec 20th!
Texas
282 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Hello all cruise ship birders. I'm scheduled for a Los Angeles to Buenos Aires cruise 3 Dec 2017 and have hired some local guides. I'll post info here and hopefully my checklists.
Cinda
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Navigator of the SeasThe ABCs 03/31/17; Carnival ValorMy Dad&My Bros 3/6/17; Independence of the SeasThe fun continues 01/9/17; NCL SkySailing w/friends 01/6/17; Explorer of the SeasTP SEA to SYD 10/6/16; Celebrity MillenniumAlaska On Our Own 8/7/16; Navigator of the SeasEB TA 5/8/16 Adventure of the SeasB2B 10/31/15 Celebrity EquinoxUltimate Caribbean/ birding 2/23/2015;Celebrity Silhouette Rome TA 11/1/2014;Pride of America Hawaii 6/21/2014 Independence of the Seas Caribbean 2/9/2014;Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean 10/26/2013; Allure of the Seas E. Caribbean May 5,2013; Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean 4/7/2013;Liberty of the Seas Barcelona TA 10/27/12; Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska 7/27/12; Mariner of the Seas W.Carib/40th 3/25/2012; Navigator of the Seas E.Carib/ Dia N Dec. 12/10/11; Liberty of the Seas E. Caribbean 3/5/11; Voyager of the Seas TA 11/7/10; Majesty of the Seas Bahamas 9/3/10; Grandeur of the Seas Cozumel 5/27/10 Serenade of the Seas Panama Canal 11/1/09 Majesty of the Seas Bahamas 2/23/09 Splendour of the Seas TA 4/23/07 Grandeur of the Seas W.Caribbean 12/4/04 Grandeur of the Docks MardiGras/Gulf 2/21/04
Seeing the world one cruise at a time!
beautiful Jersey Shore
968 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by hvbaskey
There are several sub-threads of birding here and there while cruising; so starting a more general thread where “all” regions can be included. This thread is in hopes that people will share their experiences of birding while they cruise!

There are a few of us out there - let’s join forces, unite, and share information!
Great idea, Heather! I'll follow the adventures of you and others. We usually cruise the Caribbean and will next sail at the end of October. We have a field trip scheduled on St. Maarten with Binkie van Es, birder and National Geographic photographer, so we're really looking forward to that.

Dena
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ontario Canada + Florida snowbirds
190 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
We have booked 11 day Western Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Reflection with Carefree Birding (Ken & Linda) for Jan 29th 2017. This is our 2nd cruise and first time birding south of Florida. Sure we will be overwhelmed with life birds. Birding trip is fully booked but others are available in later 2018 & 19. This will be so handy cuz we are attending SpaceCoast bird festival and then just drive down to Ft Lauderdale for cruise.
Ontario - Canada
1,524 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by texcin
Hello all cruise ship birders. I'm scheduled for a Los Angeles to Buenos Aires cruise 3 Dec 2017 and have hired some local guides. I'll post info here and hopefully my checklists.
Cinda
Nice!!! we are doing South America as well in December ---> Buenos Aires to Santiago.

We have hired local guides in BA, Punta Del Este, Puerto Madryn, Puerto Montt, and Santiago.

Heather
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Next Up:

Texas
282 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Nice!!! we are doing South America as well in December ---> Buenos Aires to Santiago.

We have hired local guides in BA, Punta Del Este, Puerto Madryn, Puerto Montt, and Santiago.

Heather
We are sailing from LA 3 Dec - BA 3 January. I checked the schedules to see if we were in port together. Of course, no. We are heading in opposite directs but our paths cross. Looks like it will be "2 ships passing in the night" as we port in Puerto Madryn on the 30th and you port there on the 29th.

My guides:
Buenos Aires: 1/2/18 -- Diego Gallegos
Ushuaia: 12/26/17 -- Esteban Daniels
Lima: 12/14/17 -- Alejandro Tello

Have tours for:
Falkland Islands -- Volunteer Point
Punta Arenas -- Magdalena Island & Penguin Reserve

I'm looking for a guide for Valparaiso Chile or Puerto Montt Chile & also Puerto Madryn AR. If you wouldn't mind sharing your guide info for these places, I would appreciate it.

Cinda
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Navigator of the SeasThe ABCs 03/31/17; Carnival ValorMy Dad&My Bros 3/6/17; Independence of the SeasThe fun continues 01/9/17; NCL SkySailing w/friends 01/6/17; Explorer of the SeasTP SEA to SYD 10/6/16; Celebrity MillenniumAlaska On Our Own 8/7/16; Navigator of the SeasEB TA 5/8/16 Adventure of the SeasB2B 10/31/15 Celebrity EquinoxUltimate Caribbean/ birding 2/23/2015;Celebrity Silhouette Rome TA 11/1/2014;Pride of America Hawaii 6/21/2014 Independence of the Seas Caribbean 2/9/2014;Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean 10/26/2013; Allure of the Seas E. Caribbean May 5,2013; Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean 4/7/2013;Liberty of the Seas Barcelona TA 10/27/12; Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska 7/27/12; Mariner of the Seas W.Carib/40th 3/25/2012; Navigator of the Seas E.Carib/ Dia N Dec. 12/10/11; Liberty of the Seas E. Caribbean 3/5/11; Voyager of the Seas TA 11/7/10; Majesty of the Seas Bahamas 9/3/10; Grandeur of the Seas Cozumel 5/27/10 Serenade of the Seas Panama Canal 11/1/09 Majesty of the Seas Bahamas 2/23/09 Splendour of the Seas TA 4/23/07 Grandeur of the Seas W.Caribbean 12/4/04 Grandeur of the Docks MardiGras/Gulf 2/21/04
Ontario - Canada
1,524 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
We are sailing from LA 3 Dec - BA 3 January. I checked the schedules to see if we were in port together. Of course, no. We are heading in opposite directs but our paths cross. Looks like it will be "2 ships passing in the night" as we port in Puerto Madryn on the 30th and you port there on the 29th.

My guides:
Buenos Aires: 1/2/18 -- Diego Gallegos
Ushuaia: 12/26/17 -- Esteban Daniels
Lima: 12/14/17 -- Alejandro Tello

Have tours for:
Falkland Islands -- Volunteer Point
Punta Arenas -- Magdalena Island & Penguin Reserve

I'm looking for a guide for Valparaiso Chile or Puerto Montt Chile & also Puerto Madryn AR. If you wouldn't mind sharing your guide info for these places, I would appreciate it.

Cinda
Oh what a shame that we are only passing ships in the night!

For Puerto Montt - we are using “Birds Chile” and they also offered us a trip from Valparaiso, but we actually went with “Albatross Birding” as they price-matched and are located out of Santiago. For Puerto Montt, we are doing a 6-hour (half-day) “Birds of the Lake District” tour. For Santiago, we are going to El Yeso Valley.

I have also been in contact with Esteban (Ushuaia) - but we made plans prior to him contacting me

for B.A. - we are using “Birding Buenos Aires”.

for Punta Arenas, we are also going to Magdalena Island (weather pending!)

It’s going to be fantastic as we come back relatively the same time, so we must share our experiences!!!

Heather
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Next Up:

Texas
282 Posts
Joined Feb 2009

Heather
One last question: Who are you using for for Puerto Madryn?
Cinda
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ontario - Canada
1,524 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
One last question: Who are you using for for Puerto Madryn?
Cinda
Agustin of birdingpuertomadryn.com

He does half days and full days - we are doing a full day combination of wildlife and birds.

Heather
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Next Up:

Ontario Canada + Florida snowbirds
190 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
There are a few of us out there - let’s join forces, unite, and share information! Love this statement.
248 Posts
Joined Apr 2008

Heather
We will be Punta del Este in late February. Having been there before and done a walking tour, this time we would like to have a birding guide for the day. If you wouldn't mind, may I ask who you got for a guide?
Texas
282 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Agustin of birdingpuertomadryn.com

He does half days and full days - we are doing a full day combination of wildlife and birds.

Heather
Thank you Heather for your help. I was able to to book Augustin in Puerto Madryn and Birds Chile for Puerto Montt. I saw that WINGS offers this Tour/cruise. I'm am going to try my best with Pelagics! Let's keep in touch & exchange bird lists here!

Cinda
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ontario - Canada
1,524 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Thank you Heather for your help. I was able to to book Augustin in Puerto Madryn and Birds Chile for Puerto Montt. I saw that WINGS offers this Tour/cruise. I'm am going to try my best with Pelagics! Let's keep in touch & exchange bird lists here!

Cinda
Awesomeness! for sure, let's keep in touch and share what we have experienced We are going to try our best with the Pelagics as well. More so me than DH, as I don't think he will stand out there for hours on end, as I will be - LOL!

I remember when we did the Panama Canal, we had Masked Boobies follow the ship when out at sea. Brown Boobies as well, but we also saw them in port. The Masked Boobies were only seen at sea, which I am thankful for spending the time at the bow, seeking out birds, whales, and dolphins.

Heather
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Next Up:

Ontario - Canada
1,524 Posts
Joined Dec 2004

Cinda
Cinda, our guide Agustin, just released this video on YouTube. sooooooooooooooooooo excited!!!

Birding Puerto Madryn

Heather
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Next Up:

Central Florida
1,237 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
I'm also a birder, and nature photographer in general.

We are looking forward to seeing new birds during our stops in Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, and Cozumel.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Gina & Chris
Kindness matters!

Future:
Freedom OTS - 6 day Western Caribbean 12/2017 Preview- Semi-live report
Alaska - NCL Jewel - 7 day Southbound with Inside Passage 2020
Hawaii - Pride of America - 7 day RT 2023

Past:

RCL Majesty - 12-12-2016 Review
RCL Enchantment - 10-25-2013
RCL Monarch - 12-12-2008
RCL Sovereign - 10-6-2008
Ontario - Canada
1,524 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by shorefolks
We will be Punta del Este in late February. Having been there before and done a walking tour, this time we would like to have a birding guide for the day. If you wouldn't mind, may I ask who you got for a guide?
We are using this company for Punta del Este: http://www.guyrapyta.com/

With kind regards

Heather
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Next Up:

248 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Heather,

I just want to mention that I went to the site you provided, and I saw that Agustin Carriquiry is one of their guides. We had a tour with him once before out of Montevideo, and he did an excellent job. He took us to places that nobody would ever find, including the "yards" of his friends. We got many, many lifers that day.

Good luck!
Ontario - Canada
1,524 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by shorefolks
Heather,

I just want to mention that I went to the site you provided, and I saw that Agustin Carriquiry is one of their guides. We had a tour with him once before out of Montevideo, and he did an excellent job. He took us to places that nobody would ever find, including the "yards" of his friends. We got many, many lifers that day.

Good luck!
That is awesome! I'm not sure who we will have yet for Punta del Este. We wanted to bird out of MVD as well, but it is Christmas Day when we will be there and most places are quite deservingly closed (although the company did offer to try and find us a guide, we will do something else in lieu of).

I am though very excited about our birding trip on the 26th out of Punta del Este, the itinerary sent sounds most exciting!!!

Heather
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Next Up:

Reading
36 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Hi we are bird watchers from UK. On Princess cruise from BA to San Antonio 31/01/18. Any others on the same crise interested in bird watcing? Trying to book with Birding BA at the moment