Windstar vs Paul Gauguin

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Windstar Cruises
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:58 PM.
Quebec
973 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by vlaurend
Strenz - How many times have you done the WS cruise in Tahiti, and how recently? Would love to pick your brain for recommendations and advice!

I just came back if that help too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SeaEscape-Scandinavian Dawn - March 1990
Windstar-Wind Surf -December 2012
Windstar-Wind Surf - December 2013
Celebrity-Constellation - March 2014
Windstar-Wind Star - December 2014
Celebrity-Constellation - March 2015
Celebrity-Summit - January 2016
Celebrity-Constellation - August 2016
Windstar-Wind Spirit - July 2017
Celebrity-Silhouette - February 2018
Orleans MA
657 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Hi Vlaurend, I do not if I can help you with advice. May 2014 we did the crossing the Pacific and the first back to Tahiti cruise. To say that we loved it is a huge understatement. It was glorious. The crossing was as soomth as if you were sailing on ice. We made such good time the last two days we were solely with out motor, our Captain Pedro Pinto, was so skilled that we almost sailed into Papeete Harbor. Thrilling. We had a day in Papeete before the cruise because we were early, great. I tried to contact many excursion agencies and no one wrote me back, I heard they wanted cruise business and did not answer, do not know if that is the same now so we took the ship's e excursuins and they were great. Spinner Dolphin with Dr. Poole fantastic out of Moorea, out of Huahine we did the Moai and the blue eyed eel tour with a museum it was fantastic and we learned a lot, we had to climb a big hill in the heat so beware, we saw the moais on Easter Island needed to see these but it was simply the stones they sat on. Unlike Easter Island the moai were made of straw and wood so they did not last. We swam with the rays and sharks fantastic. We spent a day on the private motu, the fire dancing was truly a spectacle. Bora Bora was our least favorite island simply too touristy, but from the lagoon beautiful. What thrilled us was the lagoon incredibly beautiful. I think I would have been depressed if we had just stayed in a resort because the lagoon sailing was so beautiful with a thousand hues of blues. We spent one night at the Intercontinental on the way home because of flight schedules. Very nice resort. If I lived closer we would go again but we live on Cape Cod the flight distance is daunting. For us the crossing was perfect. A bit about us we love the sea, traveling and food culture. We have only sailed on the WS, no other cruise companies, we are grateful people and pride ourselves on being very easy to please. We love the WS for trips and vacations, two very different concepts for us but WS certainly meets our needs for both. I truly wish a wonderful time. Happiest of Sailing.
Quebec
973 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Vlaurend, When are you going again? Might be worth to book a whale encounter in Moorea if you are there August to November.

In Huahine, we did the hiking tour to the 3rd highest peak (700m / 2100 ft). We came back covered in mud. Fun and worth it. We missed the eels and the Marae however.

In Moorea: Jetski with Moorea Activities Centre - Great fun (but our 3rd expedition on the island as we were there for 4 days prior)

In Bora Bora. Vavau Tour Combo to the WW2 canon, viewpoint and tour of the island + Dinner on a motu a la Polynesian. (1st day). Went to the beach at Matira + Bloody Marys on the 2nd day. Back to the ship late afternoon for the tender to the Motu Evening BBQ and Fun. Great sunset - Don't miss it.

Raiatea: Took a local guide to teh Taputapuatea UNESCO Marea + we went to the local Heiva that was happening the same night (Wind Spirit overnighting). We missed the deck BBQ but had so much fun at the local Heiva that we didn't care (BTW, the local guide and his wife went with us - great guide. I'll give his name if you want).

Taha'a: We just did the Motu Beach & BBQ day. Great fun and great snorkeling.

My album here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm2rihG9
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SeaEscape-Scandinavian Dawn - March 1990
Windstar-Wind Surf -December 2012
Windstar-Wind Surf - December 2013
Celebrity-Constellation - March 2014
Windstar-Wind Star - December 2014
Celebrity-Constellation - March 2015
Celebrity-Summit - January 2016
Celebrity-Constellation - August 2016
Windstar-Wind Spirit - July 2017
Celebrity-Silhouette - February 2018
California
105 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Thank you both! We are definitely visiting Marae Taputapuatea (renting a car on Raiatea to do so)! Dandee2, I saw your photo album the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it! We are on the 11/16 sailing so probably a tad late for whale watching. We had a great whale watching excursion in Hawaii last year, though, so it's OK!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
California
105 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
P.S. Our plan for Bora Bora is a lagoon tour followed by lunch and swimming at Matira Beach, then on day 2 hanging out on Motu Tapu if Wind Spirit provides access during the day. Our focus is the lagoon, as reviews of the island itself have been uninspiring...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Orleans MA
657 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Dandee2, Merci pour les photographes, ramene de grands souvenirs.. Mon mari est un Quebecois. J'adore le Quebec. Je comprends mieus le feancais plus que je le parle. Voile heureuse.
143 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
We were in Tahiti in May 2016. The only time the water was rough was on the last night going back to Papeete. Get some wrist bands, put them on before you encounter rough water and you should be fine. I have a tendency to get seasick, but these wrist bands really worked. It is a great cruise. You will have a big grin on your face the whole time.
237 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
We were on the August 13th sailing on Windstar. I enjoyed the food on Windstar more and the private island (Motu) dinner with fire dancers! The stop at the day Motu was very nice. The Wind Spirit holds fewer than half of the passengers PG carries so tendering was very easy.

Second seating