What has changed?

Teegiee

Hello!

It's been a long time since I've cruised... too long :o

I've convinced the DH to do a Christmas NYE cruise on the NCL Jewel from Sydney to NZ :cool:

So my question is, what has changed? I think cruising has become more 'cooler'. Are lanyards still the thing to do?

Also since this ship is American, I am going to presume the electrical outlets will also be American and we will need adapters? :confused:

Thanks!

Hello!

I've convinced the DH to do a Christmas NYE cruise on the NCL Jewel from Sydney to NZ :cool:

So my question is, what has changed? I think cruising has become more 'cooler'. Are lanyards still the thing to do?

Also since this ship is American, I am going to presume the electrical outlets will also be American and we will need adapters? :confused:

Thanks!

I haven't been on her yet, sounds like we are disembarking as our embark.

Many people use Lanyards, I'm not one of them, I usually have too much other junk around my neck, Mrs Gut always uses one.

Yep it'll have US power points, also charges are in US$.

What has changed? Well cost cutting seems to be in vogue in a big way with long time cruisers noting general cutting across the board; depending on cruise line, less choice for meals, less premium products, removal of 'products' in ordinary cabins, more user pays etc etc.

Not sure what NCL will be like in this regard but if you found cruising up market in the past, it may have slipped a little. On the other hand, prices are much lower these days.

Enjoy the cruise - it is still a great experience :)

Hello!

Welcome back, I guess the cruise bug has taken over again :p

Yep, people still have lanyards.

I think one thing that has changed is the type of people who cruise, as more family's and younger and older people are cruising.

Thanks!

yep, the electrical outlets will be American and Europe.

What has changed? Well cost cutting seems to be in vogue in a big way with long time cruisers noting general cutting across the board; depending on cruise line, less choice for meals, less premium products, removal of 'products' in ordinary cabins, more user pays etc etc.

Not sure what NCL will be like in this regard but if you found cruising up market in the past, it may have slipped a little.

I hate to say this, but Aussieflyer is correct, cost cutting seems to be the "in" thing at the moment.

I have noticed this more with P&O Aust and some what with Princess as well :rolleyes:

Looks like your last cruise was on NCL in 2013. Probably not much changed since then. From my perspective, NCL is more "laid back" than other lines (no formal nights, etc). As I recall the outlets on the Pearl were a mix of Euro and US, but my memory is not what it used to be :)

Oh, by the way, some don't like the POA because it's US flagged and must abide by US maritime rules. Not so with the Pearl.

thanks everyone!

Yes, I've noticed the specialty dinning options seem to be varied now! Not just the streak restaurant anymore.

Thanks for the electrical plug option, i'll remember to take them.

I really hope the Jewel will be like the POA, the food was a lot better IMO and i enjoyed not being forced to dress up. I will miss formal night though, might have to get the DH to dress up for some pics.

The cost cutting is annoying considering NCL have a 'service fee' which is compulsory $18 or something per person per day and 18% added to your drink prices. I don't mind paying, but it does make you wonder.