Host Mach - La Romana Question?

OSUKNIGHT

This doesn't make sense...La Romana is in the Dominican Republic while Catalina Island is off the coast of California. It wouldn't be possible to just "switch" the ports. Unless there is a La Romana in Mexico that I've never heard of :confused:

If there is an excursion from La Romana to Santo Domingo, as sandij mentioned, that is definitely the Dominican Republic.

This doesn't make sense...La Romana is in the Dominican Republic while Catalina Island is off the coast of California. It wouldn't be possible to just "switch" the ports. Unless there is a La Romana in Mexico that I've never heard of :confused:

If there is an excursion from La Romana to Santo Domingo, as sandij mentioned, that is definitely the Dominican Republic.

Did you ever think to check a map to determine if there is an island off the DR by the name of Catalina Island? California isn't the only one.

Wonder if they will?????

I would be shocked if they did it for our cruise, not enough time to make changes to excursion, setup tender, etc.

Later cruises maybe or if they were smart would just drop DR and add time to Grand Turk and Curacao! :cool:

I would be shocked if they did it for our cruise, not enough time to make changes to excursion, setup tender, etc.

Later cruises maybe or if they were smart would just drop DR and add time to Grand Turk and Curacao! :cool:

Changes like this aren't 'knee jerk' variety of things. I know the guy who's responsible for such changes and, with the exception of weather related events, it takes a lot of time and research to make it work.

I'm still waiting for a response.

:)

Just FYI, we sailed a few years ago on an itinerary which included both La Romana AND Catalina Island. We stayed overnight in La Romana and then repositioned to Catalina Island the following morning. It's literally right off the coast of La Romana and sail time is short (maybe an hour?)

On our sailing, La Romana excursions, including Santo Domingo , were still offered on the Catalina Island day. Many passengers opted to go to Santo Domingo from La Romana. We considered going as well, but decided to stay in La Romana and go horseback riding around Casa De Campo instead of enduring a long day on a tour bus.

For those of you who've never been, Catalina Island is a private beach experience, like Half Moon Cay. We did it on Royal Caribbean.

I know your right!!!!:rolleyes:

JUST hoping!!!!:p

Will get it figured out!!!

I doubt it will change, especially not for our sailing, but Mach will get the answer for us. He's great about that! (Hi Mach!)

Madelene

Well Madelene! What am I? stale pickles? Hi to you too! lol:D

I know there are a couple of people saying that they "heard" or thought they heard that Carnival will switch to Catalina, and I would love to know for sure. But I also wonder WHY? What makes these people even think it might happen. hummmm....

We visited Alto de Chavon when we were there in the past. We went on our own, which was a mistake. It turned out okay, but could have been very bad......! We are scheduled to visit La Romana in March on the Miracle and would be very happy if they changed to Catalina Island.

We did not feel safe in La Romana and would rather not visit there again. At the very least we would book a Carnival excursion and not go on our own.

Happy Cruising All!

We visited Alto de Chavon when we were there in the past. We went on our own, which was a mistake. It turned out okay, but could have been very bad......! We are scheduled to visit La Romana in March on the Miracle and would be very happy if they changed to Catalina Island.

We did not feel safe in La Romana and would rather not visit there again. At the very least we would book a Carnival excursion and not go on our own.

Happy Cruising All!

What happened to make you feel that way?

We hired a cab to Altos De Chavon and made an agreement with the cabbie to pick us up at 9pm for the ride back. Well, he didn't show and another cabbie came along and we piled into his cab...there was 8 of us. Just as we were leaving the parking lot, the original cabbie came along and saw that we were in the cab. He became very angry and basically raced us back to the drop off area. He confronted us in the parking lot and became rather threatening toward us. "Why didn't you wait, you knew I was coming". Thankfully there were some security guards there and told us to just keep walking toward the ship and they would take care of the cabbie. We waited for the original cab for almost a half hour and felt we should grab a ride when the second one came along.

We loved Altos De Chavon, had a great Mexican dinner there with great people, but the cabbie scared the sh#t out of us and the evening ended on a sour note.

We would ALWAYS book a Carnival excursion in the future while visiting here or just stay on the ship.

If the Miracle is stopping at Catalina Island we would would be very happy with that change.

Archived