Host Mach - La Romana Question?

OSUKNIGHT

In case you missed our LaRomana experience as told on another thread:

My husband and I did the Bayahibe Beach Break last year (Splendor) and had an awesome time. We were not to happy with the times when we booked it, 9:00 - 1:00, thinking that all inclusive drinks that early in the day might be a bit of a waste. After a half hour bus trip, a short check-in and walk to the beach, we were blown away by the beauty of the water and the beach! The sun was HOT, the music was going, and soon we were in full island party mode! We had no problem obtaining a variety of beverages, enjoyed aerobics in the ocean, walking the beach to where the local vendors are next door (didn't browse, just said hello & walked back), enjoyed the pool (although technically not included, no one said anything) and 19 (small) drinks later, definitely had a good time! We had a wonderful afternoon back on board enjoying the ships amenities and watching the various types of watercraft coming and going from the port, often with returning excursion passengers. We have also enjoyed a day on Catalina Island (Millenium) that included a BBQ lunch; both were great beach days. La Romana has some of the Caribbean's most beautiful beaches and water. We'll definitely go back again!

We hired a cab to Altos De Chavon and made an agreement with the cabbie to pick us up at 9pm for the ride back. Well, he didn't show and another cabbie came along and we piled into his cab...there was 8 of us. Just as we were leaving the parking lot, the original cabbie came along and saw that we were in the cab. He became very angry and basically raced us back to the drop off area. He confronted us in the parking lot and became rather threatening toward us. "Why didn't you wait, you knew I was coming". Thankfully there were some security guards there and told us to just keep walking toward the ship and they would take care of the cabbie. We waited for the original cab for almost a half hour and felt we should grab a ride when the second one came along.

We loved Altos De Chavon, had a great Mexican dinner there with great people, but the cabbie scared the sh#t out of us and the evening ended on a sour note.

We would ALWAYS book a Carnival excursion in the future while visiting here or just stay on the ship.

If the Miracle is stopping at Catalina Island we would would be very happy with that change.

Thanks for the info. I can understand why you didn't feel safe in that situation.

For the record, we had a similiar experience in St. Maarten. We have since learned to always set a firm price and the exact time and meeting place for a return ride before we get into the cab. We like to build in a little time buffer too...if we want to leave the beach by 2 PM we tell the driver 1:45. It helps to have the drivers name and cell phone number as well.

I heard from John Heald late last night... we'll have an answer tomorrow and I'll post it as soon as I get it.

:)

Great! Thank you.

Thanks Mach!

Madelene

P.S. -- hi to you too Janet! :)

:D I feel much better now! lol Happy Halloween!

We went to the Dominican Republic on our first cruise on the Paradise, and even though its been a long time, it is still my favorite port we have ever visited. We docked in La Romana, but took an excursion via a short boat ride to a beach on Catalina Island... it was one of the most gorgeous beaches I've ever been to! The distance between La Romana and Catalina Island is not far at all. If ship ends up docking at Catalina, I would imagine that they would still offer many of the same shore excursions.

We hired a cab to Altos De Chavon and made an agreement with the cabbie to pick us up at 9pm for the ride back. Well, he didn't show and another cabbie came along and we piled into his cab...there was 8 of us.

Someone who just came back from the Miracle mentioned a shuttle to Altos de Chavon that leaves from the port. I'm still trying to find out what the "entry fee" is into Altos de Chavon but I am leaning towards taking the shuttle there wander for 2-3 hours then come back to the ship.

Considering our welcome in both Aruba and Curacao, LaRomana left much to be desired. Plain concrete pier, a single duty free shop at the port..30 minute ride to the Carnival sanctioned 'Bayahibe beach break' to a beautiful resort that poured little liquor into their drinks...yes it was lovely, but I sure wasn't very appreciative of the 'scre***ing I got by the man who came down from $50 to $25 for a bottle of rum that I found on the internet for less than $20. Granted, I get the 'caveat emptor' thing, but it still kind of steers you off from the people of the country when the only ones you meet are either out to screw you over or don't exactly meet your needs at an all inclusive resort. Our group was trying to re create a Nachi Cocum experience, and truthfully, this didn't even come CLOSE to a repeat performance!! Many had better luck at Dreams.

I got info about changing Ports from one of the Entertainment crew on board the next day as we sailed into Aruba that LaRomana was not likely to be a long lived port..but like others have said, it's not something you can change in a heartbeat.....

We are booked on the new Miracle itinerary for February and for some reason, while researching, I remember seeing some itins going to La Romana and others to Catalina. Not quite sure why they wouldn't just pick one as opposed to having both on there??

We are booked on the new Miracle itinerary for February and for some reason, while researching, I remember seeing some itins going to La Romana and others to Catalina. Not quite sure why they wouldn't just pick one as opposed to having both on there??

I know Catalina is a tender port..maybe it has something to do with availability of shuttle services?

John Heald provided our answer on his blog just now...

That’s all for today and I will be back with more tomorrow. As always my friend Host Mach has been keeping me in touch with some of the things being discussed over on Cruise Critic. One subject he told me about were rumours that the Carnival Miracle was going to stop calling at La Romana and replace the port with Catalina Island. So I asked one of our Senior Vice Presidents Terry Beard who sent me this reply:

We will continue calls in La Romana on the Miracle through spring, ’11 and then again from fall ’11 to spring ’12. There are some calls where we will go to Catalina Island. This is a small out island off the coast of La Romana. Even when we go to Catalina Island, we will still provide transportation to Casa de Campo and run tours on the mainland.

Mach – please glue this to the thread thing would you mate and thanks for bringing it to my attention.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2010/11/01/having-a-scrap/

Well..There you have it as they say..

But before we go , Carnival will have taken 8/10 thousand guests there..

And that is what Carnival should remember, we are their GUESTS...

I hope that the 'Beards' in Miami do read the reviews and this thread...

Us, well we are travelling from the UK, and would hate to have to say at the end of our cruise, 'we told you so'...I think others will tell before us...

There again , if we all stay on the ship The Beards will be happy as , well...cheeerrrr CHING !!!! as we spend on board !!

Mach, Thanks for the update! I'm not crazy about going to La Romana but I did after all, book the cruise to there. Our plan is to enjoy the spa that day. After all, if Carnival doesn't make money, we don't cruise.:D

John Heald provided our answer on his blog just now...

That’s all for today and I will be back with more tomorrow. As always my friend Host Mach has been keeping me in touch with some of the things being discussed over on Cruise Critic. One subject he told me about were rumours that the Carnival Miracle was going to stop calling at La Romana and replace the port with Catalina Island. So I asked one of our Senior Vice Presidents Terry Beard who sent me this reply:

We will continue calls in La Romana on the Miracle through spring, ’11 and then again from fall ’11 to spring ’12. There are some calls where we will go to Catalina Island. This is a small out island off the coast of La Romana. Even when we go to Catalina Island, we will still provide transportation to Casa de Campo and run tours on the mainland.

Mach – please glue this to the thread thing would you mate and thanks for bringing it to my attention.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2010/11/01/having-a-scrap/

So three weeks from today I will be at La Romana! :) Thanks Mach. You're the best!

Madelene

Ya' know, we constantly see people asking for new ports, new excursion and such. I KNOW that the folks in Miami are making an effort to expand the offerings and at some point you see this... The change has to happen eventually and someone is gonna be upset.

I wish it could be otherwise but that's not the case...

From what I can see, Catalina Island is far prettier than the one on the west coast!!!

catalinaisland.jpg

Well..There you have it as they say..

But before we go , Carnival will have taken 8/10 thousand guests there..

And that is what Carnival should remember, we are their GUESTS...

I hope that the 'Beards' in Miami do read the reviews and this thread...

Us, well we are travelling from the UK, and would hate to have to say at the end of our cruise, 'we told you so'...I think others will tell before us...

There again , if we all stay on the ship The Beards will be happy as , well...cheeerrrr CHING !!!! as we spend on board !!

Actually i my case if I decide to cancel my excursion and stay on the ship that will save me money and cost Carnival the profit on the excursion. Outside of a soda card and maybe some chocolate covered strawberries I am not planning on spending any money on board. :D

Archived