Purses?

Whippets

Just wondering as I am planning my first cruise......does everyone carry around their purse or are the fanny packs the way to go? I know I will probably need a little evening bag for the more dressier occasions.:confused:

I don't carry either. On board the ship I need only my Sail & Sign card and a pair of sunglasses.

When I go into port, I also need a little cash, driver's license and a credit card. I fit those into my pocket and rarely carry any kind of bag.

The fashion police don't like fanny packs (not that I give a hoot). If I needed a bag, I'd go with a belt bag. If I needed to carry a beach towel, I'd do a backpack.

Some ladies do carry their purses all over the ship. (Reminds me of Sophia on Golden Girls!):D I take a small tote bag if I'm going on deck to get some sun - for book, cigs, sunscreen. Otherwise, I put whatever I need in the pockets of my shorts. I take a small evening bag to the dining room at night. When going on shore, I leave my purse in the cabin, put my wallet and whatever else in a large shoulder-tote bag.

I confess to using a black fanny pack with 3 compartments that I got at the Gap about 15 years ago - :eek: but in my defense:

I put items on every trip in the same place and can reach them quickly. Sign and sail card, casg, credit card, chapstick, nail file, camera, snack, bandaids, tylenol, a couple tampons (just in case), small mirror, contact lense wetting drops, sunglasses. Probably a couple other things i am forgetting.

My daughter hates it and admittedly I would NEVER carry one any where else but on vacation. Seems to work for me and I always know where everything is.

Small evening bag or nothing for dinner and of course a tote for excursions and sitting by the pool.

Just another idea:

I have a little waterproof plastic case on a string that I wear around my neck. It's just big enough to hold a room keycard, a credit card, some money, etc. I use it a lot - especially when we're by the pool, or at the beach. And, it can be tucked inside a t-shirt or blouse and isn't noticeable - so it doesn't take away from your outfit while you're out and about...

:eek: A belt bag is an absolute no-no! Does somebody really still use them? :rolleyes: Anyway, I had a backpack with me when going ashore and a beach bag when going to pool deck. Otherwise, I didn't need a bag, the card was enough.

Sisi:

I have to disagree about the beltbag. I do not wear it aboard ship (I just put my ship card in my pocket); However I do use one ashore for two reasons. First of all, I am usually pushing a wheelchair so carrying a bag is difficult. Secondly, in Europe, I believe that a fanny pack is safer than a backpack.

I have worn mine in the pool when I'm going there by myself, to keep my room key safe and dry.

Just another idea:

I have a little waterproof plastic case on a string that I wear around my neck. It's just big enough to hold a room keycard, a credit card, some money, etc. I use it a lot - especially when we're by the pool, or at the beach. And, it can be tucked inside a t-shirt or blouse and isn't noticeable - so it doesn't take away from your outfit while you're out and about...

I have my shoulder travel bag that expands to a duffel if need be, for when I'm shopping in port. I have my new "seal life" evening purse for dinner, and I have a very flat, easy to pack beach tote for the pool or water excursions. I have medication, sunglasses and an inhaler that has to be with me at all times, so I have to carry something.

Just wondering as I am planning my first cruise......does everyone carry around their purse or are the fanny packs the way to go? I know I will probably need a little evening bag for the more dressier occasions.:confused:

I am a single parent and consequently need to be on the ball - If the fanny pack is a no no, somebody forgot to tell a huge percentage of the woman (and men) traveling. I once had my wallet stolen in Paris on the first day of my arrival and prefer to avoid that in the future. I was even being extremely careful.

As for wearing the fanny pack, who said I wear it all the time. If circumstances warrant, I throw it into the bag I am carrying for our towels, purchases etc. But should I feel like I need to keep valuables close, I will suck up my sense of fashion (which as the mother of a teenager is good she tells me) I do so.

Just my opinion...

Archived