Cigars?? A couple of neophyte questions

johnrobert57

Will visit Havana next week on Majesty. Looking for some help please.

Want to bring back some mid price/average Cuban cigars for friends, co-workers. I don't smoke cigars.

Where to buy close to the port?

What brands would you suggest?

How much should I expect to pay?

How do I make sure they're authentic Cuban cigars.

Appreciate any advice.

So as to assure that you are buying genuine hand-made Cuba cigars, only buy them at a La Casa del Habano store.

For cigar aficionado's, size is important so when buying for someone ask them what size they would prefer. A cigars diameter is called 'Ring size' and is measured in 64th of a inch generally ranging from 42 to 52. In the US, cigars are often referred to as 'Corona', 'Robusto', 'Toro', and 'Churchhill' which relates to the diameter and length.

However, with the exception of the Corona and Churchhill size; Cuban cigars also use names or numbers. So when buying for someone ask them the ring size and length they want and tell that to the shopkeeper.

Price wise, expect to pay 6 to 10 CUC each for major brand names like Montecristo or Romeo y Julieta. Premium Cohiba brand cigars will be 11 to 13+ CUC each. Prices for a box [25 cigars] of Montecristo or RyJ average 110 to 150 CUC. FYI, you are allowed to bring 100 cigars into the USA.

The closest La Casa del Habano is in the Hotel Conde De Villanueva. The address is Calle Mercaderes 202.

Go down to ground level at the Cruise Terminal, out the door and turn left 50 feet to the pedestrian crosswalk. Cross the street and go straight west through Plaza de San Francisco to Amargura street. Proceed 1 block west on Amargura and turn right onto Calle Mercaderes. The Hotel is ½ block north on the left.

Google maps says the Hotel is permanently closed but the website is still active and the Manager is responding to guest reviews on TripAdvisor. Even if the Hotel is closed the La Casa del Habano may be open.

The next closest Casa is the old Partagás factory at Calle Industria No. 520. It is on the first street west of the Capital building and would be about a 20-30 minute walk from the Cruise terminal.

We visitted La Casa del Habano is in the Hotel Conde De Villanueva.

Great little store.

Purchased 4 boxes of 25, very genuine. No worries at all.

Paid around $800 US in total.

They do have cheaper brands, but I was after very specific sizes and brands.

They had 3 of the boxes I was after and recommended another box as a substitute for the one they did not have.

Also provided me with the appropriate customs forms to take them out of Cuba.

Here I am enjoying a smoke and some rum.

cigars.thumb.JPG.c7e8c43891a8b8b442976a652dafec66.JPG

Helpful thread!

Does anyone know if the ships (NCL SUN for example) carry cuban cigars in the duty free? and How do prices compare? Or if there is a Duty Free at the port?

TYIA

The latest review on TripAdvisor for the Hotel Conde De Villanueva was 2 weeks ago so the Hotel must be open and most likely the La Casa del Habano.

The Havana Cruise Terminal has a couple of stores and a money exchange but no Duty Free store per se. One store selling cigars and another with good prices on Havana Club rum and trinket souvenirs.

Oceania cruise also stopped at 2 other Cuba ports. The Cruise Terminals at Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba had money exchanges but no formal shops and just a few street vendors.

The latest review on TripAdvisor for the Hotel Conde De Villanueva was 2 weeks ago so the Hotel must be open and most likely the La Casa del Habano.

The Havana Cruise Terminal has a couple of stores and a money exchange but no Duty Free store per se. One store selling cigars and another with good prices on Havana Club rum and trinket souvenirs.

Oceania cruise also stopped at 2 other Cuba ports. The Cruise Terminals at Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba had money exchanges but no formal shops and just a few street vendors.

Thanks.

Very helpful

Helpful thread!

Does anyone know if the ships (NCL SUN for example) carry cuban cigars in the duty free? and How do prices compare? Or if there is a Duty Free at the port?

TYIA

You have to be kidding on a ship . Nothing at the port just money exchange in Havana

You have to be kidding on a ship . Nothing at the port just money exchange in Havana

No they don't offer Cuban cigars on board.

There is a small cigar store at the port, limited selection and higher prices.

Very good information but can you advise me on a sweet Cuban cigar. Reasonable good. My uncle who has lung cancer has request a sweet Cuban cigar. Thanks in advance...

So as to assure that you are buying genuine hand-made Cuba cigars, only buy them at a La Casa del Habano store.

For cigar aficionado's, size is important so when buying for someone ask them what size they would prefer. A cigars diameter is called 'Ring size' and is measured in 64th of a inch generally ranging from 42 to 52. In the US, cigars are often referred to as 'Corona', 'Robusto', 'Toro', and 'Churchhill' which relates to the diameter and length.

However, with the exception of the Corona and Churchhill size; Cuban cigars also use names or numbers. So when buying for someone ask them the ring size and length they want and tell that to the shopkeeper.

Price wise, expect to pay 6 to 10 CUC each for major brand names like Montecristo or Romeo y Julieta. Premium Cohiba brand cigars will be 11 to 13+ CUC each. Prices for a box [25 cigars] of Montecristo or RyJ average 110 to 150 CUC. FYI, you are allowed to bring 100 cigars into the USA.

The closest La Casa del Habano is in the Hotel Conde De Villanueva. The address is Calle Mercaderes 202.

Go down to ground level at the Cruise Terminal, out the door and turn left 50 feet to the pedestrian crosswalk. Cross the street and go straight west through Plaza de San Francisco to Amargura street. Proceed 1 block west on Amargura and turn right onto Calle Mercaderes. The Hotel is ½ block north on the left.

Google maps says the Hotel is permanently closed but the website is still active and the Manager is responding to guest reviews on TripAdvisor. Even if the Hotel is closed the La Casa del Habano may be open.

The next closest Casa is the old Partagás factory at Calle Industria No. 520. It is on the first street west of the Capital building and would be about a 20-30 minute walk from the Cruise terminal.

Very good information but can you advise me on a sweet Cuban cigar. Reasonable good. My uncle who has lung cancer has request a sweet Cuban cigar. Thanks in advance...

Really?

He should run that by his Dr,

Can't think of any 'Sweet' Cuban cigars.

• 4 weeks later...

Magnetchief i am from the UK did they have the ability to pay by credit card? i know this is difficult for US citizens, if not did they convert money in the store?

We visitted La Casa del Habano is in the Hotel Conde De Villanueva.

Great little store.

Purchased 4 boxes of 25, very genuine. No worries at all.

Paid around $800 US in total.

They do have cheaper brands, but I was after very specific sizes and brands.

They had 3 of the boxes I was after and recommended another box as a substitute for the one they did not have.

Also provided me with the appropriate customs forms to take them out of Cuba.

Here I am enjoying a smoke and some rum.

Thanks