Cruising on Pacific Sun N620 30th June 2006

reecat

Hi All

I am quite new to this forum... I am going on my FIRST cruise on 30th June 2006, with my husband, and a few of our friends... I have a few questions, I hope you can help, and sorry in advance if the post gets to long...

1. What sort of weather should I expect for that time of year? Will it be warm?

2. How dressed up do people get for formal nights, men and women?

3. What clothing is suitable for dinner?

4. Are there phones onboard?

5. Im on the empress deck, is that good?

5. Are there any other tips you could give me?

thanks in advance for your help

hi Reecat. Welcome to the cruise family. If you look back on some of the reviews past cruises have done you will get lotssssss of help. Someone will reply to your questions. I am fairly new also but since finding this site I am on it all the time. It is great to read peoples experiences and see their photos. Ask as many questions as you want. Everyone is so friendly. DH and I will be on Empress Deck when we go in Feb2007. Outside cabin E116 mid ship and near the lifts.

Hi All

I am quite new to this forum... I am going on my FIRST cruise on 30th June 2006, with my husband, and a few of our friends... I have a few questions, I hope you can help, and sorry in advance if the post gets to long...

Hi reecat & welcome to the boards. I can't help you with your 1dt question as I sailed in April (very hot) but I believe that the 1st day or 2 & the last day or 2 will be pretty cold but once you reach the islands it should be pretty warm. Someone else will give you a better answer on that one.

Formal nights - some people get really dressed up some not so much. Most people put the effort in though. Cocktail dresses are good for ladies, suit or tailored pants & shirt for men. Clothing in general for dinner is smart casual. I wore pants & blouse & DH wore pants (sometimes jeans) & shirt, even polo shirts. Pretyy much what you would wear to a club. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask - someone will answer them.

Karen

Hi reecat & welcome to the boards. I can't help you with your 1dt question as I sailed in April (very hot) but I believe that the 1st day or 2 & the last day or 2 will be pretty cold but once you reach the islands it should be pretty warm. Someone else will give you a better answer on that one.

Formal nights - some people get really dressed up some not so much. Most people put the effort in though. Cocktail dresses are good for ladies, suit or tailored pants & shirt for men. Clothing in general for dinner is smart casual. I wore pants & blouse & DH wore pants (sometimes jeans) & shirt, even polo shirts. Pretyy much what you would wear to a club. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask - someone will answer them.

Karen

Hi from another karon,(popular name on here)

well I am very jealous you are going on a cruise so near. You will have a ton of fun.

Best tip is to read through all the posts on here mainlythe p and o site.

there are no phones on board although there is an internal phone in your room. Mobile phones only work when close to shore.

As karen said dress as you normally would for a night out and to be comfortable.

Check out posts on dressup nights and take small stuff with you to dressup it is so much fun.

Also check out webshots for photos, several of us have some photos linked. My name is kaseyoz I have pics from both cruises on there including dressup.

ask away any questions.

karon

Hi Reecat

We are going on the same cruise with some friends. We all have kids in the age group from 4 to 9 and are really looking forward to some relaxation and adult time together. Do you and your husband have children or are you travelling alone?

Would be great to catch up if thats your scene????

Keith

Hi All

Hi Reecat,

Well you will have a ball....lucky you!

I just got back off the Pacific Sun yesterday and the weather was cold on the first 2 days (on the deck it was blowing a gale). On the islands though it was quite nice. We did have a few showers though. (tropical weather to be expected). In the showroom it can be quite cold at times. I made hubby take his coat and i put that over my legs in there as I do feel the cold. I took singlets but never wore them as I didn't find it hot enough. So probably t-shirts would be fine.

Formal night is quite formal with most people looking beautiful and going to great efforts to look good. Most wearing lovely evening dresses and nice hairdoo's, makeup and jewellery that type of thing. And the men wearing dress trousers and ties and many wearing suits. I did check out people on formal night and must say I ddin't see anyone not dressed up nice. My guess is you would look out of place if you didn't dress up.

Phones-can't say i seen any. Only the internal cabin phones. there is internet available but I didn't use it.

For nightly dinners smart casual clothing is fine. I mainly wore pants and nice tops and heels, that seemed the "go".

Empress deck will be fine and the middle is good as it is quieter than the front or back of the ship.

Any other tips......yes take elastic waist clothes or clothes which are a little big now as you will no doubt put on a couple of kilos (its inevidable) the food is so good and there is so much of it. I went with a group of 12 (6 Adults) and we all put on around 3-5 kilos but its all worth it.

Take goggles, snorkels and reef shoes or flippers as the snorkeling is fantastic and have a fantastic time!

Annette :) :) :)

Hi Reecat

We are going on the same cruise with some friends. We all have kids in the age group from 4 to 9 and are really looking forward to some relaxation and adult time together. Do you and your husband have children or are you travelling alone?

Would be great to catch up if thats your scene????

Keith

hi keith

no we dont have children... unfortunately!! we are going with 6 of our closest friends

Re phones - the phones in the cabin's can be used to ring ashore - International calling cards are available for purchase from the Purers lounge (and if you are on Pacific Star - from a vending machine on either deck 7 or deck 8 - I can picture it, just not which of the two decks it was on!). The calls are expensive, so I don't think the calling card would last very long.

Hi All

We got gressed up for formal nights, cocktail dress & suit & tie. We looked great. Some people just wore smart casual. Some of the younger people just wore casual every night.

We were in E114, great location. Close to lifts & stairs, although we took stairs most of the time, it's only up 2 flights to the bars, show lounge & shops.

Tips....we tried to eat in the dining room for every meal. This limited our food intake (we still ate too much), food was always hot and the line up in the buffet was sometimes too much for us. It was like feeding cattle!

Don't bother taking perfume, go to the duty free shop & try a new perfume each day.

The hairdryer is adequate in the cabin, I should have taken mine, but I ended up going to the spa & using that one.

Try not to listen to the negative comments, I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise. It's what you make of it. Have fun!!

I've worn jeans to the dining room most nights on every cruise I've been on - except the formal nights (wore a suit) and Island nights (when I wore shorts or beach pants or whatever I had).

Dress code for the restaurants is Smart casual except on formal nights. Theme nights you can wear suitable clothes if you want - with the exception of the PJ night.

On our first cruise we were told NO jeans in restaurant and men were sent back to their cabin to change. On our last cruise in April, jeans were allowed

That's really weird, your first cruise on Pacific Sun was the cruise immediately after ours - and I wore jeans every night on Pacific Sun, as did my partner and my father. In fact jeans were the only trousers I took other than my suit for the formal nights.

Kym

The level of dress in the restaurant has dramatically reduced in the years I have been cruising. On our last cruise in January there were even people at dinner in shorts on the Formal nights! Don't worry hubby will be fine in jeans. We personally like to get changed for dinner and wear something a little smarter than our day wear. You don't get enough opportunities to "dress up" nowdays I reckon.

I have seen people sent from the restaurant for dress on the last few cruises (Sept 05 & Jan 06) but mostly it is because they aren't wearing shoes or still have a swim suit or something on, not because they were wearing jeans.

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Hi All

On the Star my hubby wore a combination of shorts/polo shirts , jeans/poloshirts and trousers/shirt/tie (formal nights) without any issues. There were people wearing thongs on their feet (weren't asked to leave) but the bloke who kept showing up without a shirt on was always being sent back to change.

Phones - the internal phones can make calls to shore - on deck 8 on the star and cost $20 or $30 cash (they are machines). The $20 card gives you 6 mnutes and 30 seconds. Mobile phones - we had CDMA and had absolutely no access anywhere - not even New Zealand (after being assurred by Telstra we would). Sim carded phones worked in Fiji and Tonga (if you were with Vodaphone only).

Hope this helps

Rach

With all this discussion re 'jeans' I think it comes down to the type of jeans. Like some are 'dressier', if there's such a word, and some look like you've just greased the car. So I guess it depends if they are neat and clean, sometimes you can't even notice that they are jeans.

Archived