First time out of NY!!! Hotels close to NYPST>>>

Bran8778

Bran8778, I don't think you need (or want) to stay close to the port. It is not a decent neighborhood, kind of seedy with next to nothing to walk to that night or the following morning. Taxi's are inexpensive and plentiful anywhere in Manhattan. I'd suggest you stay in the Midtown area and take a taxi to board your ship the next afternoon.

Agreed!

For the extra $3.00 it might cost in taxi fare, there's no reason to stay in one of the few hotels in that seedy area. You're not going to walk to the pier with all your luggage, so why would you want to stay in that area?

Stay in midtown, enjoy a little time in NYC and then take a taxi to your ship.

I have been to the city but not that area. From the sounds of it I'll be staying somewhere else. Thanks for your help. I have stayed at the Muse and the Renissance, any other ideas.

Ummmm........that's quite a question. We've got hundreds of hotels. My suggestion would be to stay in the midtown area - anywhere between 34th and 72nd streets. That way, if you have a little time to walk around the enjoy the city, there will probably be someplace you can walk to and enjoy. although staying in Soho would be great too.

Some popular hotels are the W Hotel, the Benjamin, the Morgan, Ganesvoort, the Library, Soho Grand, Ganesvoort........really depends on what you're looking for.

I have to disagree with some of the previous posters - the Midtown west side, once known as "Hell's Kitchen" now "Clinton" is a wonderful neighborhood. We stay there several times a year for plays and such and have never had a problem. There are great little deli's and restaurants that don't charge a fortune. It is much less expensive than Midtown and still within walking distance of everything. Try http://www.nyskylinehotel.com - 2 blks to the port (& the Intrepid Museum) and 5 blocks from Times Square (& Rockfeller Center).

Yes, you will be charged more for 5 than for 2, but if you say 2, you may get a room with one double bed, which would be quite cozy for 5 people.

Plus, in my mind, it just wouldn't be right. Pay for the number of people you've got, and let each of them have a place to sleep.

I was able to talk to everyone who is going to be sailing with us, and I asked an important question "Do you want to stay near the port or near Times Square"??? Everyone said they want to stay near Times Square. I was told about a hotel close as possible and cheap, The Edison Hotel.

So, I wanted to get something done and I booked it today:)

HAS ANYONE EVER STAYED HERE?????

It's pretty much a dump with really small rooms and some strange odors, but for one night you'll be fine and the location is unbeatable. It's just of those old NYC hotels badly in need of refurb.

You'll have a great time in that area.

We stopped in to see the Edison when we were in NYC a couple of years ago. Thought we might stay there at some time, and wanted to look at a room. the staff were very nice, and the room wasn't small--more a typical Holiday Inn room. It's a very large hotel, and they cater to big groups.

Bran,

Some of the rooms in the Edison are renovated and a few still are not.

Overall, I think it's a good choice.

Their coffeeshop is famous and serves great chicken noodle soup. You might run into some of the B'way stars there having a light meal at about 6:00PM before their curtain calls.

Jane

• 3 weeks later...

Archived