Baggage Limitation Question

margord

Looks like you can fly international from US to Austraila on something like Qantas and have 2 checked bags with a 70 lb max weight and a carry on (per person), but travel within Australia looks like it is limited to one piece of checked luugage. Help, how does this work? What do I do with my extra luggage? Any info appreciated.

Margord,

When you fly on domestic flights here in Australia there are different rules depending on whom you are flying with. Qantas is very reasonable and here is their on luggage allowance.

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/beforeYouTravel/baggageChecked

I think you will find you will be able to carry your two pieces of luggage onboard as long as you fly with Qantas.

Jennie

well, worst case scenario is you would have to pay for it...

i believe its $3.00 per kg

On Qantas domestic flights within Australia, the excess charge is only AUD 11 per bag. Peanuts, really - certainly not worth worrying about.

If your domestic travel is in conjunction with international travel (strictly speaking, either on the same ticket or on a linked ticket), then the higher international baggage limit should apply for the entire journey irrespective of what the ticket says. If you can show your international ticket, you might not get charged even if strictly speaking you ought to be. But at worst, it's the peanuts amount above.

I don't know about Virgin Blue - never flown them, hope never to have to ...

One tip: Make sure that no checked bag is over 32 kg (about 70 lbs). This is a strict absolute maximum weight limit per bag, for health and safety reasons. Any bag over the limit will be refused and you will be made to take stuff out of it.

Thanks so much. I do feel better now. I was trying to figure out how to get 3 weeks worth of clothes for 2 people in 2 bags. I definiately need one more bag. I have no problem paying a little extra for the third bag.

Archived