UK VAT tax

SadieN

Virgin Atlantic normally fly out of Terminal 3.

There are VAT refund desks both land-side (ie before security) and air-side (ie after security) - but if you're going to put items in your checked luggageI suggest you visit land-side before you check your bags in, in case the customs officer wants to see the items.

http://www.globalblue.com/tax-free-shopping/uk/london-heathrow-terminal-3

(they mention "purchases in London", but presuming this is your final departure point from the EU it's also for purchases you also made elsewhere in the EU)

There are plenty of hurdles & paperwork.

For instance you'll only get a refund on total purchases in a single shop of over €175 or equiv.

So it's worth checking out this website too

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/individuals/travelling/travellers-leaving-eu/guide-vat-refund-visitors-eu_en

JB :)

Sorry just saw the post Sadie and JB (as usual) has it right.

For convenience I would do this prior to the airport so you have one less thing to worry about and also so you can pack the items.

Keith

Agreed, tho' it's not always possible. But the more paperwork you do when you purchase, the less you have to do at the airport. And the shop can help you avoid making mistakes.

BTW, to clarify my poor phraseology.........

To avoid the grief of processing small reclaims, you can only reclaim on transactions worth at least €175.

That doesn't mean individual items must be worth €175, it can be the total value of several items purchased at the same time from the same shop.

Agreed, tho' it's not always possible. But the more paperwork you do when you purchase, the less you have to do at the airport. And the shop can help you avoid making mistakes.

BTW, to clarify my poor phraseology.........

To avoid the grief of processing small reclaims, you can only reclaim on transactions worth at least €175.

That doesn't mean individual items must be worth €175, it can be the total value of several items purchased at the same time from the same shop.

That's correct JB. Transactions have to total €175.

Keith

Sadie, I can also confirm that you can (and in my experience, almost certainly will!) be asked to show the actual item to get the refund - many folks get caught out by having already checked their bags so they cannot prove they are removing it from the country with them, which is a requirement of getting the refund (otherwise everyone coming to see relatives would be leveraged by their Brit family to buy all their expensive stuff so they could score a big discount. I know mine would try to leverage the hell out of the system if it only needed a photo or receipts!)

Also, if you want to get as much money back as possible you have to do more work yourself - the 'refund kiosks' skim a chunk off if you get an on-the-spot refund, mail order offices that pay you after the fact will skim less, and if you deal with all the paperwork directly and request the refund from the taxman yourself the fees are minimal but usually this means waiting months for a cheque in the currency of the country you left the EU from, with associated fees to cash it at your home bank. Ballpark in the UK, expect to get a 10% refund if you want cash on the spot and be very happy if you get anything else - but don't be surprised if the queue for customs stamping is so long you have to abandon it or risk missing your flight and for the hours it's available to be restrictive enough some flights you simply cannot make a claim because they leave before the office opens.

We've been hosed on claiming refunds leaving the EU before in both of these sets of circumstances!

Sadie, I can also confirm that you can (and in my experience, almost certainly will!) be asked to show the actual item to get the refund - many folks get caught out by having already checked their bags so they cannot prove they are removing it from the country with them, which is a requirement of getting the refund (otherwise everyone coming to see relatives would be leveraged by their Brit family to buy all their expensive stuff so they could score a big discount. I know mine would try to leverage the hell out of the system if it only needed a photo or receipts!)

Also, if you want to get as much money back as possible you have to do more work yourself - the 'refund kiosks' skim a chunk off if you get an on-the-spot refund, mail order offices that pay you after the fact will skim less, and if you deal with all the paperwork directly and request the refund from the taxman yourself the fees are minimal but usually this means waiting months for a cheque in the currency of the country you left the EU from, with associated fees to cash it at your home bank. Ballpark in the UK, expect to get a 10% refund if you want cash on the spot and be very happy if you get anything else - but don't be surprised if the queue for customs stamping is so long you have to abandon it or risk missing your flight and for the hours it's available to be restrictive enough some flights you simply cannot make a claim because they leave before the office opens.

We've been hosed on claiming refunds leaving the EU before in both of these sets of circumstances!

We usually put items in our carry-ons. This way we don’t have to drag our luggage when we go to customs. However, it would not be possible if you have a really large object. We use a credit card when shopping. They give the best exchange rates and insure our purchases. There is usually an option to put the VAT back on the card and we do it. Once at the airport, we go to customs with our items, have the paper stamped and place it in the correct box ( there are mail type boxes for the VAT companies). A month or two later, we have our refund.

Sent from my iPad using Forums