Texting/Facetime on an iPod Touch onboard

Mumof2

Hi,

I'm a bit unsure how this works...my kids both have the new iPod Touch (with iOS 5). Would they be able to text each other (or us with our iPhones) or Facetime for free, or does it require purchasing wifi minutes? Would short texting use up a lot of minutes? It would be nice to be able to check in on them if they go around the ship on their own. Technology is moving faster than I can keep up...:confused:

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm a bit unsure how this works...my kids both have the new iPod Touch (with iOS 5). Would they be able to text each other (or us with our iPhones) or Facetime for free, or does it require purchasing wifi minutes? Would short texting use up a lot of minutes? It would be nice to be able to check in on them if they go around the ship on their own. Technology is moving faster than I can keep up...:confused:

Thanks!

There are 2 things to look at here. 1) For texting, it depends on your cell phone provider about what their fees are per text. 2) For using iPod to communicate, one would have to get online to check for messages or send messages. It may not take that much time each time that you need to check or send a message but to stay on so that you can receive a message would take minutes... A good way to do this is to buy a minutes plan and give them specific times to text you with what they are doing, then you would only need to get on to check messages and not stay on waiting for them... hope this helps.

I had to purchase a package of minutes from my cell provider before leaving on a cruise last year to keep in touch with clients. it is much cheaper to do the texting than it is to do voice mail, email or calling. I think it only cost $10 for 50 texts, which was plenty for me. With this said though, there is an app that my 8 year old neice uses on her ipod touch that makes your phone a walkie talkie. Not sure how that works. I assume that since it is an app that you would need wi-fi but that might be something to check into because if you can truly use it as a walkie-talkie, then that would be the way to go.

Or you could go to carnival.com/funville and sign up under the forums. You can access carnival.com for free while you're on the ship. If all parties register, you can keep in touch that way for completely free.

You don't want to possibly get roaming charges on your phones/ipads while you're out to sea.

Ignore all comments about wireless since that wouldn't with the Touches anyway.

You would have to connect to the ships WiFi for your plan to work and at .75 a minute that would be problematic at best because in order to communicate you would have to remain logged in X 4 or at least login and logoff at regular intervals just to see if someone attempted to communicate.

Even with the iPhone I've had only limited success using cellular at sea with Telus. I don't know how Rogers or Bell work.

Ignore all comments about wireless...

Sorry, read iPhone but it was iPod.

Yes, iPod requires the onboard Wi-Fi at $0.75/min per device. Speed is extremely slow and sadly even single texts can take time. Don't even consider trying Facetime, the shipboard Wi-Fi speeds will not support it.

Activation Fee

One time activation fee of $3.95 applies to EACH user on the first time Wi-Fi login.

Carnival Fleetwide Wi-Fi Pricing

480 minutes for $159

240 minutes for $89

120 minutes for $59

45 minutes for $29

Pay As You Go: $0.75/minute

I think what big_duck (and I like the name) is saying is as follows:

The iTouch is not a cell phone so it does not use the cellular network.

The iTouch communicates over the internet. Hence you need internet service.

The internet service comes from an internet provider to the iTouch via WiFi. How you get the WiFi is your choice. Aboard the ship you pay and pay and pay and.....

One of the very best things about cruising (to me) is that the kids do not use their electronic devices. First thing that happens: all electronics off, and lock them in the safe. It is so refreshing to see groups of teens walking around the ship talking to each other!

That being said, keeping up with where they are at all times can be difficult. Here is what we are doing: port days are easy; they are with us at all times. Sea days: eat all meals together (set times and locations), providing a check in time that is guaranteed. Then they need to check in every (so many) hours as well. We usually end up in the same spot on sea days, and they can meet us there. I also will have them give me three spots they will "hang" out. Post-its on the cabin door if this changes.

Since I bought an Ipod Touch two years ago I have ceased lugging my laptop with me on cruises. I can do everything I used to do on my pc on the Ipod. As others have mentioned your kids need to subscribe to the ship's wifi to use any of the wifi functionality onboard so my suggestion is that you tell them to forget it. If you buy them 75 minutes they will burn through it in 75 minutes and do practically nothing with it.

When your stop in ports your kids should have no trouble finding wifi connectivity at little or no charge so they will be able to check e-mail, tweet, facebook etc. with friends back home at that time very cheaply. Texting each other probably won't be something they do.

Or you could go to carnival.com/funville and sign up under the forums. You can access carnival.com for free while you're on the ship. If all parties register, you can keep in touch that way for completely free.

You don't want to possibly get roaming charges on your phones/ipads while you're out to sea.

Currently Onboard is great for keeping in touch with those at home but I think they will be onboard at the same time.;)

Hi,

Thanks!

They will both have to pay for wifi minutes.

I would suggest the following:

1. Invest in real walkie talkies.

2. Use the phone in your stateroom to leave each other messages about where you'll be and when.

3.Write each other notes and leave them in the room (this will require them to actually come back to the room every time they change activities.)

4. Give them parameters and then trust them (must be with two others at all times, can not go into anyone's stateroom even for a minute, can go to specific locations only.)

You didn't mention how old they are, but depending on their age and responsibility level, I'd say give them some rules, let them know what's expected of them, request their presence at mealtimes, and then tell them to bug off. Were there an actual medical emergency, the ship can page you or them. Otherwise, safety in numbers and have fun!

Archived