Disembarkation a day early?

sarahjaneb

Hello All,

Our Crystal trip of 16 nights on the Mahler will be ending in Budapest with a full day an night there before disembarkation.

We are thinking of leaving the ship the night prior and staying at a hotel in Budapest. (our flight the next day isn't until 4:30pm and we would have to be off the ship by 10am)

Will we be missing much on the last night on the boat?

Any opinions will be helpful.

Thank you!

Do you have to be off the ship or just out of your cabin? Because of the small number of people you can generally have the run of the ship for as long as you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you have to be off the ship or just out of your cabin? Because of the small number of people you can generally have the run of the ship for as long as you need.

I think off of the ship but either way, we would like to spend the day enjoying Budapest without our luggage/carry on baggage.

Also thinking a night in Budapest would be lovely but not sure we would be missing much leaving the boat early.

Check with your cruise line to see if you can leave your luggage on the ship and pick up before leaving for the airport. Ships usually dock in the heart of Budapest so it would be easy to go back for your luggage.

How much do you enjoy socializing? If you're looking forward to meeting new people you might not want to miss the last night. We enjoyed the final dinner and sitting on the deck looking at Budapest lights with new friends. If you prefer to keep to yourselves you might not miss the last evening.

Budapest is not big and it easy to take a taxi from the pier or the hotel (depends on which hotel you are looking at) in central Budapest.

I have done Budapest both on the Mozart and at a hotel (Ritz Carlton, courtesy of Crystal as well. Don't ask long story). If you wish to do the cruise (inclusive) excursions, then stay on board the boat. If you wish to do your own thing then, you can arrange to check-out on the penultimate day. You can get help getting your luggage off the boat from staff and get reception to call you a taxi to the hotel.

One thing Crystal and most cruise ships do, is that they sail up and down river around mid-night to see the buildings along the waterfront lit up. You are not on a coach and they boat itself sails with restaurant staff serving hot chocolate to which you can add a punch with some rum or have a virgin version.

Not many restaurants, if any, in Budapest will come close to the Waterfall Restaurant when it comes to dinner. And remember that drinks are free (sorry, inclusive) at night long on board the boat.

We had the same set-up on the Crystal Serenity in Singapore. We stayed on board the Serenity on the last night (friends, food, entertainment) but checked into the hotel in the afternoon on the day before disembarkation with some hand luggage. We were staying for a couple of nights. That way we were already checked-in when we hauled our luggage over after leaving the Serenity at 9am.

Its horses for courses. I was happy to pay for the hotel room and it was for two nights anyway.

If you just want to go to the airport, then my suggestion is to check-out after breakfast. You can leave the luggage on board the boat until the afternoon. Do your own excursions in town that day. At a lost? Try a couple of hours at the hot springs at the Szechenyi Baths. It is massive with indoors and outdoor pools. Grab lunch and then head back to Crystal, pick-up luggage and it should be time to head to the airport.

Budapest is not big and it easy to take a taxi from the pier or the hotel (depends on which hotel you are looking at) in central Budapest.

I have done Budapest both on the Mozart and at a hotel (Ritz Carlton, courtesy of Crystal as well. Don't ask long story). If you wish to do the cruise (inclusive) excursions, then stay on board the boat. If you wish to do your own thing then, you can arrange to check-out on the penultimate day. You can get help getting your luggage off the boat from staff and get reception to call you a taxi to the hotel.

One thing Crystal and most cruise ships do, is that they sail up and down river around mid-night to see the buildings along the waterfront lit up. You are not on a coach and they boat itself sails with restaurant staff serving hot chocolate to which you can add a punch with some rum or have a virgin version.

Not many restaurants, if any, in Budapest will come close to the Waterfall Restaurant when it comes to dinner. And remember that drinks are free (sorry, inclusive) at night long on board the boat.

We had the same set-up on the Crystal Serenity in Singapore. We stayed on board the Serenity on the last night (friends, food, entertainment) but checked into the hotel in the afternoon on the day before disembarkation with some hand luggage. We were staying for a couple of nights. That way we were already checked-in when we hauled our luggage over after leaving the Serenity at 9am.

Its horses for courses. I was happy to pay for the hotel room and it was for two nights anyway.

If you just want to go to the airport, then my suggestion is to check-out after breakfast. You can leave the luggage on board the boat until the afternoon. Do your own excursions in town that day. At a lost? Try a couple of hours at the hot springs at the Szechenyi Baths. It is massive with indoors and outdoor pools. Grab lunch and then head back to Crystal, pick-up luggage and it should be time to head to the airport.

Wow, thank you for this great information. We were looking at staying at the Four Seasons in Budapest for that final night but I am second guessing the thought if our boat sails the river at night, that sounds lovely. If we can keep our luggage on board until the afternoon on the last day, that might be the answer.

Our Crystal agent indicated that there is nothing much going on on board the last evening of the cruise are there are crew parties and most passengers are packing but I would not want to miss any good sights from the river that I would not be able to see from Budapest...

IMG_3360.thumb.JPG.9dcb7b31ca5f2dde80e4e39c755ca1a6.JPG

My photo from the top deck of the late evening sailing

With good weather, you could easily walk to the Four Seasons from where Crystal docks. Don’t overplan for now.

IMG_3373.thumb.JPG.2e7a92eb95c2911798156033db713db6.JPG

Edited by JohnKen3

[ATTACH]426347[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]426348[/ATTACH]

My photo from the top deck of the late evening sailing

With good weather, you could easily walk to the Four Seasons from where Crystal docks. Don’t overplan for now.

Absolutely gorgeous, thank you :)

sjb