Hair straightener question

Suzieanna

hi folks

I have seen many debates about whether these are allowed or not... I have something a bit different though

Why do my tongs never heat up? There was more heat coming off the light bulbs in the vanity unit?

What type of ship? Mainly NCL and Royal

Any ideas?

Hey, as a fellow Brit I have heard this a lot from British cruisers plugging a high voltage appliance into a lower voltage US style plug.

You have two options:

1) Check that your next ship has a European socket. If so buy an adaptor for a European socket and you should be ok. I am guessing you have one anyway? A few ships have this I have found but not sure if I was just lucky.

2) Have hair heat appliances that are made for worldwide use (this is probably the easiest fix). My GHD large tongs work and my Remington curlers and this has been on 4 different lines on 5 different ships. Most new appliances seem to do this but some older ones do not.

Good luck! :)

I think I was using an adaptor to go into the American socket yeah! Will try a different plug set up next time. I have one of those a babyliss heated smoothing brush which is only a few months old so I am hoping I don't have to upgrade thst cos I love it!! Thanks for your advice ladies xx

Are you using an adapter and plugging into U.S. 110v ? Only getting half throttle!

Actually, since power (P) = Vsquared/R, using half the voltage means 1/4 the power (wattage) for a fixed resistance (the same hair appliance).

I think I was using an adaptor to go into the American socket yeah! Will try a different plug set up next time. I have one of those a babyliss heated smoothing brush which is only a few months old so I am hoping I don't have to upgrade thst cos I love it!! Thanks for your advice ladies xx

I've been mulling it over and realised I have only ever used European sockets on cruise ships with my UK/European adaptor so that must be the fix! I have sailed on Royal and NCL btw.

Found this on Royal's website:

'All of our Royal Caribbean ships are equipped with North American standard, 110 volts AC and standard European 220/230 volts AC outlets. You can use standard UK electrical items onboard, but will need an adaptor to use the UK 3 pin plugs in either the 2 flat pin US socket or the 2 round pin Northern Europe socket, both of which we use in the staterooms. Adaptors are available in most high street electrical stores, supermarkets etc. '

and on NCL's it didn't have anything but from reading online it seems to vary by ship. One ship apparently has UK sockets and no European ones. So with NCL you might as well read up but I imagine most ships will be ok.

Actually, since power (P) = Vsquared/R, using half the voltage means 1/4 the power (wattage) for a fixed resistance (the same hair appliance).

My 'half throttle' comment was more related to OP's location, where the IOM TT Races are currently being held!

I have taken on on 15 cruises and never had a problem.

OP is from Europe where the electricity supply is 220v. In U.S. supply is 110v. Therefore insufficient current to power European electical products (unless they are dual voltage products).