Buying SIM Card in Italy For Data Usage

gonesalsa

We want to be able to use our android and iphone in Italy for the apps and GPS, which usually require data. I know the phones have to be unlocked, which is not a problem, since my husband is an IT geek. We were wondering about people's experiences using Italian SIM cards for the data plan. Who did you purchase the SIM card from, where did you purchase it, the cost, speed, etc? Also, if you're using an Italian SIM card, are the instructions from the phone in Italian? We're not as interested in using it for phone calls...more for the data.

Thanks!

We want to be able to use our android and iphone in Italy for the apps and GPS, which usually require data. I know the phones have to be unlocked, which is not a problem, since my husband is an IT geek. We were wondering about people's experiences using Italian SIM cards for the data plan. Who did you purchase the SIM card from, where did you purchase it, the cost, speed, etc? Also, if you're using an Italian SIM card, are the instructions from the phone in Italian? We're not as interested in using it for phone calls...more for the data.

Thanks!

Since my iPhone is locked and I am not interested in jail breaking what I have been doing for data is find WiFi hot spots. That worked well for me in the UK, Canada and Norway. I will be in Italy in October and I intend to do the same there.

Vodaphone is one of the major mobile phone providers in Italy. I have no idea whether or not they will sell you just a SIM card. In the days when I owned an Italian phone from Vodaphone, all messages including the message for adding money to my account were in Italian -- very, very, very rapid Italian. I don't know what having an Italian SIM card in your US phone will do to the language of the messages from the service provider.

In order to buy an Italian phone, you must register with the Italian government and be assigned a Codice Fiscale. The Vodaphone store will take care of the paperwork for your Codice. (Incidentally, once you have a Codice Fiscale, you're all set to do any number of things like purchase property in Italy.)

Same question for me. Would love to use an Italian SIM card in my iPhone to use maps. Anyone with experience?

You don't need a SIM card to use maps if you download maps ahead of time. And your GPS will work even with data roaming turned off.

Vodaphone is one of the major mobile phone providers in Italy. I have no idea whether or not they will sell you just a SIM card. In the days when I owned an Italian phone from Vodaphone, all messages including the message for adding money to my account were in Italian -- very, very, very rapid Italian. I don't know what having an Italian SIM card in your US phone will do to the language of the messages from the service provider.

In order to buy an Italian phone, you must register with the Italian government and be assigned a Codice Fiscale. The Vodaphone store will take care of the paperwork for your Codice. (Incidentally, once you have a Codice Fiscale, you're all set to do any number of things like purchase property in Italy.)

Not been to Italy yet but when I buy a SIM card in Europe, I have an unlocked Moto GSM phone for voice calls, (not my iPhone which I have mentioned) I find a cell phone shop where someone speaks English and they have set it up for me.

I can't comment on Italian Vodafone but just returned from Portugal. Bought SIM in the airport and everything worked very well. See my post here http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189100-i201-k4666095-Vodafone_cell_phone_internet_use_in_Portugal_observations-Portugal.html

To read more on Italian Vodafone plans go to http://www.vodafone.it using Chrome (it'll automatically offer to translate pages)

Just checked Vodafone Italy website. Presently mobile internet rates are: 3 euro for 250mb per week or 10 euro for 1 GB per month. Don't know how much they charge for SIM card.

TIM (Telecom Italia) charges €15 for a SIM card, which includes €5 phone credit. I'm pretty sure this is the going rate for a SIM card for most companies. As others have mentioned, the seller will need to see your passport or EU ID and take your codice fiscale number (or sign you up for a codice fiscale - very useful if you wish to buy a house or set up a bank account in Italy in the future! :))

Archived