PG in summer... with kids??

DrmnOfMaui

We are in the process of planning our summer family vacation. My husband and I have two children, ages 11 & 14. We all love the tropics and South Pacific and the PG sounds fantastic. I see that this PG Section on CC is new, so I didn't see any info on how children are accepted on this cruise line, although the PG reps have said that there is no issue. I love that there are lots of water activities to do on each island as we all love to snorkel and love the beach. We are looking at the August 7th voyage leaving from Papeete and visiting Raiatea, Taha'a, Bora Bora, Moorea and returning the Papeete.

I'd love to hear any highlights of your PG trips! What were your favorite places and activities? What are you favorite things about the ship? Favorite meals?

Thanks so much!

Kim & Family

If you go back to the Regent board and do a search you can find older threads on children on the PG, I'm sure.

One issue will be booking a cabin where they will allow two children--not sure what the policies are there, but in general the cabins on the PG are not huge.

The 7-day itinerary is the best choice, since there are no sea days, and there's not a lot for kids on the ship itself, beyond the tiny pool.

But there's so much to do on each of these islands, I'm sure you will have a great time.

There's Taha'a, which includes a whole day on Motu Mahana, with lunch, free flowing drinks, kayaks available, snorkeling. (Note that the snorkel equipment is provided to all for the duration of the cruise.)

In Bora Bora there will be beach time available as well, on a private stretch of beach with beautiful sand and water. There is no charge for this as well.

Get out in the BB lagoon and see the stingrays, this is a great excursion.

You should have no problem finding water excursions on Moorea and Raiatea as well, although recommended is to get up to the Belvedere lookout on Moorea to see the breathtaking view.

Have a ball, and report back!

Wendy, thank you so much for your response!! I have been researching this board, the Regent board and the whole web for any and all info I can find on this cruise. I can't even begin to tell you the level of excitement that I and my family are feeling right now! We have put a hold on a Grand Suite, #801 and will book either today or tomorrow. We were trying to decide between the Grand Suite and an A Veranda. With 4 of us, one being a 14 year old boy and the other an 11 year old girl, we opted for the extra bit of elbow room in the GS and the extra balcony space. I spoke to PG at length and have seen a couple of reviews with teens and feel comfortable taking the kids. We have only done one other cruise on a mass market line and while we really enjoyed ourselves (got upgraded to the Royal Suite!!) we did not really like all the shipboard activities, the kids did not partake in the kids club and we mostly enjoyed our port intensive schedule with our time off the ship. We rose early, disembarked the ship, enjoyed the islands, returned to the ship for dinner, an early show and then bed! My husband laughed as we put our head on the pillow at 10 PM saying we must be old as 25 years ago it was not OK to leave the house till 10 pm! :D

The PG sounds fantastic... we are really happy with the 7 day itinerary, but I feel a bit "out of sorts" as I haven't planned our days yet. I know so little about this part of the world, and I don't want to mess up our precious few days there. There is not a whole lot of info about excursions and the PG site has not been too helpful. Patty from the PG office is going to email us a detailed excursion list today though.

I'm very much looking forward to the day in Taha'a! I saw a video posted online and it looks fantastic! Someone also posted a youtube video of their PG vacation and we are thru the roof excited after watching that too! Somehow it made it real.

• One question about the snorkel equipment... is it of good quality? I've read that it is of good quality, but would like your opinion as well!
  • In Bora Bora, how easy is it to access the stretch of beach you were talking about?
  • Do you know if you can book excursions ahead of time? I've recently read a review that said it was worth coming into Papeete a day early so you could board the ship earlier and secure your excursions. (I haven't asked at the office yet, I'm sure they can answer this too! And this was a fairly old review)
  • What excursion do you like in Raiatea?

Thanks Wendy, I've read so many of your posts already and have made numerous notes from your tips!

Kim

We have put a hold on a Grand Suite, #801 and will book either today or tomorrow. We were trying to decide between the Grand Suite and an A Veranda. With 4 of us, one being a 14 year old boy and the other an 11 year old girl, we opted for the extra bit of elbow room in the GS and the extra balcony space.

I'm very much looking forward to the day in Taha'a! I saw a video posted online and it looks fantastic! Someone also posted a youtube video of their PG vacation and we are thru the roof excited after watching that too! Somehow it made it real.

• One question about the snorkel equipment... is it of good quality? I've read that it is of good quality, but would like your opinion as well!
  • In Bora Bora, how easy is it to access the stretch of beach you were talking about?
  • Do you know if you can book excursions ahead of time? I've recently read a review that said it was worth coming into Papeete a day early so you could board the ship earlier and secure your excursions. (I haven't asked at the office yet, I'm sure they can answer this too! And this was a fairly old review)
  • What excursion do you like in Raiatea?

Thanks Wendy, I've read so many of your posts already and have made numerous notes from your tips!

Kim

The GS sounds sweet--we were in a B on deck 8 last year and loved it, it's somewhat smaller than the A, can't imagine 3 teenagers in there. You have a balcony facing forward which is wonderful when the ship is coming into a port. Loved deck 8, adjacent to the pool deck!

Yes, the snorkeling equipment is very good. I have my own mask and snorkel but that's because I have a prescription mask, but my husband has had no problems with his--they fit you well, and if you have trouble, take it back and they will adjust.

The BB beach--this all depends on PGcruises continuing to do the same as they previous did (this will be my standard disclaimer I guess until I sail again!) Weather permitting, the BB motu should be available via tender both afternoons you're in BB. The first day the tender trip is quite long, then the second day the boat swings around closer to the motu and the tender to *town* is longer. As I said, this is all weather permitting. It's lovely--if you see the brochure they just published and sent out, the cover shows the Bora Bora motu, with the Pearl hotel just around the corner to the left.

I have heard that PGcruises will continue the practice of allowing you to book excursions in advance online, or by phone. I've never heard such a thing as boarding early to do that--Regent had a very strict 3 p.m. boarding time.

Raiatea, hmm. The excursions have changed somewhat. We've done the Faaroa River and Island Exploration, it's very nice, beautiful scenery, but perhaps a bit passive for the kids, altho the exploration part is by 4x4 (beware, they grow a lot of pot on this island, and the locals don't mind bragging about it.) I've done a snorkel on the south end of the island, it was a drift snorkel, not for the faint at heart--sounds like they offer something like that--the coral and fish were very good (not universally true in the Societies any more, alas.)

I just hope I get to go back and try the ship again some day. Now that my recent trip to Rio is over, the Polynesian Flu might start creeping up on me again. Have a great time!

In 2006 I did the 10 day with my kids who were 14 and 13 at the time. We had a BLAST. We had a level B cabin if I remember correctly. Sure it's cramped. If tight is not to the family's liking, better off in a resort maybe. We didn't mind it at all. Best things they loved--SCUBA (first timers for them) the jeep trip on Bora Bora, the Free Bora Bora beach (almost better than motu mohana because of the dogs and hermit crabs :) ) and of course motu mahana. The captain invited us up on the bridge one departure and they loved it. I found the PG so inviting and warm toward my teens. They often ask when they can return!

In 2006 I did the 10 day with my kids who were 14 and 13 at the time. We had a BLAST. We had a level B cabin if I remember correctly. Sure it's cramped. If tight is not to the family's liking, better off in a resort maybe. We didn't mind it at all. Best things they loved--SCUBA (first timers for them) the jeep trip on Bora Bora, the Free Bora Bora beach (almost better than motu mohana because of the dogs and hermit crabs :) ) and of course motu mahana. The captain invited us up on the bridge one departure and they loved it. I found the PG so inviting and warm toward my teens. They often ask when they can return!

Thank you for the response!! We have officially booked the August 7th sailing of the PG and can not even begin to tell you how excited we all are! :D

I've been hearing more and more about the Bora Bora beach as I do my reading, and the responses are very similar to yours. It is indeed a day we are looking forward to to. I have also read so much about the Taha'a day and how much people enjoyed that as well.

My husband and I are not divers, but I did read about some sort of certification on the ship. Is that what you kids did? I will need to look more into that as well as it is appealing to my husband and daughter.

I've just begun excursion research and I've noted your favorites as they sound like things we would definitely like... I've spent hours in the last few days pouring over all things French Polynesia! Our excitement builds daily!

Kim

PS... what do you fly Flydreamer?? My husband is a pilot also...

Thank you for the response!! We have officially booked the August 7th sailing of the PG and can not even begin to tell you how excited we all are! :D

You will have an amazing time. I've taken my kids to 16 countries and counting and this remains about their favorite vacation (the lack of museums and palaces to tour has a part in that I'm sure, lol)! When you have time, look up my review from the cruise. Also, while on the cruise itself I posted things we were doing and liking. If you click on my profile you can backtrack to earlier posts. We went in 6/06. My posts were all very kid-centric so you guys might find them helpful.

My husband and I are not divers, but I did read about some sort of certification on the ship. Is that what you kids did? I will need to look more into that as well as it is appealing to my husband and daughter.

None of us were certified. It was the kids' first dives ever. The dive masters were so patient and wonderful! One of them took us around underwater as a family, like daddy and the ducklings, it was a blast. No certification required, just the pool class the first day and the rest of the dives were all voluntary and we paid for them like excursions. I don't know which cruise you are on but I'd rec not getting any kind of cert on the cruise as most of them are too short IMO and then the whole cruise becomes about the PADI certification, know what I mean?

PS... what do you fly Flydreamer?? My husband is a pilot also...

Very cool! I fly 747s. In fact, I'm on a layover in Singapore as I write this! :)

Flyerdreamer... Thank you so much for your response! My husband has done what you suggested and reviewed a few of your posts. I haven't had a chance to check out your review yet, but hopefully tomorrow will have a little time.

My husband is a 767 Capt for UPS and is curious who you fly for and noticed that you booked a great deal from one of the airline employee sites. He is a cargo employee, and unfortunately many of them do not honor discounts for cargo guys. Do you have any suggestions or do you mind sharing who you used? My email is 1kimkelly@gmail.com. We were wondering if you did a last minute deal? We are traveling with the kids and need to go on that certain week, so we are not too keen on a last minute for this trip.

My husband and kids are also SO excited about your scuba info... They have all decided that this is an activity that they will actively pursue. Next research is the underwater camera or camera housing.

I'll check out more of our posts tomorrow! Thanks for letting us know the posts are there!

Kim

Hope Singapore goes well and that you get home soon!! Brian is just starting days off...

My wife and I took our 10 year old grandson on pg-society islands in august 2009. We took onboard scuba class and went on two scuba dives. Between dives, snorkeling, and cousteau experience adventures (night snorkel and expeditions) which we all shared, everyone, particularly our grandson had a wonderful experience. the dive staff particularly Martin was great. We swam with a humbback on Dr. Poole trip in Moorea, loved the beaches at Bora Bora and Taha'a. Staff and food excellent. I can't think of many travel adventures, if any, that could top.

We all have to remember that the PG just changed ownership and onboard management, and all of the reports I've seen or written on the PG were when she was managed by RSSC. So, assuming the new management changes nothing, I agree with all said above based on a total of five weeks on her over the years under RSSC.

Also, our summer season is the best time to go to Polynesia because it is their winter season. This means that it will be less hot and less rainy.

My wife and I took our 10 year old grandson on pg-society islands in august 2009. We took onboard scuba class and went on two scuba dives. Between dives, snorkeling, and cousteau experience adventures (night snorkel and expeditions) which we all shared, everyone, particularly our grandson had a wonderful experience. the dive staff particularly Martin was great. We swam with a humbback on Dr. Poole trip in Moorea, loved the beaches at Bora Bora and Taha'a. Staff and food excellent. I can't think of many travel adventures, if any, that could top.

Thanks George!!

What did the 10 year old think of scuba? I've read that the instructors are very patient and helpful. One question is how much time did the scuba classes take? We only have 7 days, and I don't want to spend too much time in classes, but the dives sound spectacular. What were your favorite dives?

I've just started reading about the Cousteau program as well. My 14 year old son is fairly resistant to the program... I have not had much info to present to him (sell him!) about the program as of yet (still researching). I've read that parents (grandparents!) participate in much of the program. Would you mind expanding on what you liked about the program and what activities you did? What were your grandson's impressions of the program, and what were his favorite things? Are there things that you would skip?

My daughter is even more excited about this trip after reading your post!! She is my adventure girl, and is ready to swim with whales (she says how hard can it be??!!;)). She is willing to do anything! Now if only I could get my son to be the same we'd be set...

Thanks again George!

We all have to remember that the PG just changed ownership and onboard management, and all of the reports I've seen or written on the PG were when she was managed by RSSC. So, assuming the new management changes nothing, I agree with all said above based on a total of five weeks on her over the years under RSSC.

Also, our summer season is the best time to go to Polynesia because it is their winter season. This means that it will be less hot and less rainy.

I am keeping that in mind... but still trying to gather all info until "new news" comes out!

Glad to hear about the less rain. I love tropics, but would prefer sun!:)

Drmn, the scuba diving class on board was about 2 hours at the raitea stop. that qualified us to go with the scuba instructors on 2 special dives of about an hour, on in bora bora lagoon and one in moorea. Great experience for me and for my grandson.

the cousteau program seems expensive, but it includes excursions the kids would otherwise have to pay for and the adults do pay for. The advantage is they are led by the cousteau leaders, both of whom on our trip last summer were terrific. The excursion guides include them in the program and they look out for kids. There are other portions of cousteau program we did not take advantage of, but we did attend lectures and some events on ship. we chose to use to maximize our trip and share with grandson and chose events to maximize our trip and experience not every event just because included in the fee.

check on youtube under either bora bora or moorea for some scuba videos.

The dive staff takes underwater photos including of you and all photos are great. If beginners might not be a good idea to complicate trip with a camera, you might be focusing on camera and miss some good sights. The staff led by martin and dominique are terrific.

My 14 year old son is fairly resistant to the program...

Drmn, I had to smile when i read this. For all their childhood, my two never had any interest in the "kids programs" on any vacations. They just wanted to hang with us. Now that they are older, I'm glad for that time we had. Each kid is different, but just saying we didn't do the program on the PG and there was more than enough to keep my kids excited.

We are going in July and I am already SCUBA certified. If you feel that you really want to dive, and will do it more than just on this one vacation, you can become certified. The most logical way is to take the PADI SCUBA class near your home. This is usually a 5 session course which includes classroom time and pool time. At the end of this class you then need to complete the required 5 open water (not in a pool) dives.

I did this years ago in Aruba but most places that are PADI certified offer what they call the "referral dive" course. For this "course" you complete 5 dives under the supervision of a dive master. For the first 5 or 10 minutes of each dive (most last about 45 minutes) you complete a skill (the same ones you did in the pool) such as taking off your mask underwater, putting it back on, and clearing out the water. After the few skills you then stay with the dive master and "dive", looking at the sites.

By taking the course in this manner you don't spend any of your vacation time in the classroom, you get 5 great supervisied dives, and in may locations this referral course ends up being less expensive then paying for five separate dives.

For this "course" you complete 5 dives under the supervision of a dive master.

Thank you for the information FlightMedic. Normally PADI requires only 4 dives. http://www.padi.com. Is the extra one you mention because these are resort dives? I am trying to sort out how to complete my cert on my upcoming 7-day PG cruise without letting the goal take over what I hope will be a relaxing vacation. As such, I plan to take the classwork/pool before I go. I did several dives on a past PG cruise back in 2006 but although I believe Dominic logged them in with PADI I myself have kept no record. I would assume these don't count anyway.

Archived