NCL Gem How does speciality restaurant package work in a la carte restaurants?

jkgourmet

We will probably use our OBC to purchase a specialty dining package. I've noticed that a couple of restaurants are listed as a la carte - Cagney's for example. How does the package work with that?

Tips are based on 20% of the total price of the package, CORRECT? can we use OBC to pay for those specific gratuities?

And can we use our OBC to pay for the package prior to departure to allow us to make reservations prior to departure? (And to avoid standing on a queue to arrange for this stuff when we board. )

If you have the dining package, you just order what you want (but are limited to one entree) and it is covered. There are occasional reports of staff trying to limit to certain quantities of other courses, but nothing in the T&Cs to back this up.

Gratuities are 20% of the package, as you say. This is paid when you purchase the package, so if you buy it onboard then you will pay it then. You can use OBC for these.

You can't use your OBC to pay for the package if you book it before cruising. That doesn't stop you booking some meals though. There is no up front charge for booking the a la carte places, so go ahead and book them now if you want. You would have to pay the cover charge on the fixed price places though (and claim it back onboard as more OBC), so that could be an incentive for pre purchasing the package.

We will probably use our OBC to purchase a specialty dining package. I've noticed that a couple of restaurants are listed as a la carte - Cagney's for example. How does the package work with that?

--------------------------

Tips are based on 20% of the total price of the package, CORRECT? can we use OBC to pay for those specific gratuities?

---------------------------

And can we use our OBC to pay for the package prior to departure to allow us to make reservations prior to departure? (And to avoid standing on a queue to arrange for this stuff when we board. )

---------------------------

When you buy the SDP (Specialty Dining Package) you are buying a set number of meals (minimum 3 - maximum

the number of days/nights of the cruise).

When you dine at one of these SDP restaurants you tell the hostess or waiter you are using one of the

packaged dinners disregard the variable a la carte pricing. If you don't specify this the a la carte pricing

will be billed on your account.

----------------------------

Yes you can use the OBC for paying these specific gratuities.

----------------------------

The OBC is used for Onboard purchases and therefore can not be used to buy the SDP in advance off the ship.

You can make the advanced reservations thru the NCL website.

If you prepay the SDP credit adjustments can be made on board.

You can't use your OBC to pay for the package if you book it before cruising. That doesn't stop you booking some meals though. There is no up front charge for booking the a la carte places, so go ahead and book them now if you want. You would have to pay the cover charge on the fixed price places though (and claim it back onboard as more OBC), so that could be an incentive for pre purchasing the package.

Thank you for the swift reply! I'm not sure I understand what you are explaining in the above section.

1. I can book specialty restaurants before sailing, THEN buy the package on board using OBC to pay for it AND the gratuities? Yes/no?

The final sentence does not make sense to me - but the last thing I want is additional OBC. We find OBC a bit difficult to use when we sail with a free alcohol package.

[A bit annoying that OBC cannot be used to purchase anything. Celebrity does allow that.]

Thank you for the swift reply! I'm not sure I understand what you are explaining in the above section.

1. I can book specialty restaurants before sailing, THEN buy the package on board using OBC to pay for it AND the gratuities? Yes/no?

The final sentence does not make sense to me - but the last thing I want is additional OBC. We find OBC a bit difficult to use when we sail with a free alcohol package.

[A bit annoying that OBC cannot be used to purchase anything. Celebrity does allow that.]

Yes, you can book the speciality restaurants before sailing and then but the package onboard using OBC to pay for it and the gratuities.

However:

If you book either Moderno or Teppenyaki prior to sailing, and you haven't purchased the dining package at that time, then you will have to pay the cover charge for those meals when booking. Once onboard you can get a refund for that payment, but it may be a bit of messing around, and the refund will be in the form of further OBC.

You can book the a la carte places prior to boarding as there is no upfront charge for them.

If I was in your position, and I had nothing else to use the OBC for, I would book any a la carte places now and then as soon as I boarded I would go to the reservations desk and book Moderno ond/or Teppenyaki, if I wanted those meals. Then I would buy for the dining package.

1 You can buy the SDP before or within the first few days of getting onboard.

Buying advance will give you a modest discount and you pay the gratuity up front.

Thus you need not worry about anything further OBC etc.

Yes the OBC packages that NCL has are cumbersome to put it mildly !

A bit annoying that OBC cannot be used to purchase anything

Clarification - the ONLY thing that you can not use the OBC payment is for the DSC (Daily Service Charge)

Anything else if fair game refundable or non !

Hope this stirs the muddy waters to the same consistency that NCL applies the OBC !

No, I think we are in agreement, but I have introduced the problems with rebooking Moderno and Teppenyaki, whereas the other poster isn't talking about that at all.

I'll try again to explain:

When you prebook meals, you may need to pay for the meal by credit card when booking. This is dependant on two things, whether you have the SDP and whether the restaurant is a la carte or fixed charge.

If you book an a la carte restaurant online then the upfront charge is $0. Anyone who is within 90 days from their cruise can book one of these every night with no charge if they want, regardless of whether they have the SDP or not.

If you book a fixed charge restaurant (in this case Moderno or Teppenyaki) then you will have to pay the cover charge by credit card at the time of booking unless you have purchased the SDP prior to booking the meal. If you have the SDP then you can book the relevant number of meals with no prepayment.

Therefore, in your case, if you want to eat in the a la carte places then you can book them now and then wait until you get onboard to buy the dining package. All your meals will be covered and you will use your OBC to pay for the package.

However, if you want to eat at Moderno or Teppenyaki and make the reservations before cruising then you will either have to buy the SDP now (and not be able to use your OBC for it) or you will have to pay the cover charge now for those meals. This charge will be refunded when you are onboard as OBC, which will defeat the object for you.

So, you have a few choices:

Buy the SDP now (and not use your OBC for it)

Book Teppenyaki and/or Moderno now, paying the charge and end up with even more OBC

Not eat at Teppenyaki or Moderno

Wait until you get onboard to book Moderno/Teppenyaki and also buy the dining package onboard, using your OBC.

For me, the last option is best. Just get Teppenyaki booked ASAP after boarding, as it can fill up quickly. Book any a la carte places before boarding.

Thank you, Keith, for the extensive and very, very clear response. I'm sure that future cruisers will benefit from if as well.

We'll take your advice and wait to do everything on board. If we're unable to get into moderno or tepanaki, it's no great loss.

[my bigger objection is not being able to use OBC to pay gor the discounted SDP prior to sailing.]

Bad typing. Should have read "A bit annoying that OBC cannot be used to purchase anything prior to sailing. Celebrity does allow that (and gives you any pre-sale discounts applicable. )