Dohány Street Synagogue & Jewish Budapest - Viking

mjthecruiser

Has anyone done this tour? Is it worthwhile or should we do it on our own? Do you receive tour of interior of Synagogue?
We did the Jewish Walking Tour offered on Viator and it included a full tour of the synagogue. Definitely worth it!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Glad to hear that someone has done this and is able to report. A couple of questions. What else did you see on this tour? How long was it and did it conflict with Viking's Budapest tour?

Thanks for your help.

The tour was about 3 hours and, in addition to the synagogue, we saw a smaller synagogue and walked through the Jewish ghetto. There was a lot of background and history imparted.

We came into Budapest 3 days before we boarded the AmaDolce. From what I have gathered from the boards on here, most of the ships' Budapest tours are a driving tour overview with extra time on Castle Hill or at St. Matthias.

If you are arriving early, I also highly recommend New York Cafe for afternoon tea or coffee.

The tour was about 3 hours and, in addition to the synagogue, we saw a smaller synagogue and walked through the Jewish ghetto. There was a lot of background and history imparted.

We came into Budapest 3 days before we boarded the AmaDolce. From what I have gathered from the boards on here, most of the ships' Budapest tours are a driving tour overview with extra time on Castle Hill or at St. Matthias.

If you are arriving early, I also highly recommend New York Cafe for afternoon tea or coffee.

Thanks, we are going in the other direction so we end in Budapest. Not exactly sure of the timing but will probably have a Friday evening and Sat afternoon available. Of course, that will not work for a synagogue tour. We will probably have to settle for outside views.

Here's a free alternative that we took when we were in Budapest in 2015 (http://www.triptobudapest.hu/tours/jewish-district-tour/). We found it fascinating and reviewers on TripAdvisor agree (https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g274887-d1566303-r559951880-Free_Budapest_Walking_Tours-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html).

We were in Budapest this past summer with Viking as a part of our Bucharest to Budapest cruise. We did not take the Viking Synagogue tour but went there on our own. The website for the synagogue has the hours listed. There are free tours inside that the synagogue provides and was well done in our opinion.