Southampton: We dock at 7AM per itinerary...

We got off pretty early and quickly. And there wasn't any customs to go through. So it was pretty easy. I just read my review again and we grabbed some breakfast around 7:30 and walked off around 8:30. So that was with eating and taking our time.

Thank you all. My transfer to the airport questioned whether we would really be off the ship by that time and asked me to double check, so this helps.

For clarity...............

Which airport?

What flight time?

Which day-of-the-week?

Long-haul or European or domestic flight?

JB :)

Lots of time, you do not need to be at LHR before 11-45am at the earliest. You could leave the ship with a private transfer at 9am. LHR on a Saturday will only take 2hrs maximum even with traffic. Any earlier at Heathrow you won't be able to bag drop straight away. Which terminal is it? If it's T5 that's closest to the M3 route from Southampton.

Oops. sorry. Yes, on Sapphire Princess, going to...Heathrow. Flight time is 2:50PM. Saturday, and to the US.

If your transfer to LHR is by horse and buggy then the transfer operator is right to be concerned about the time you disembark :D

But I suggest you book the car for 9am or 9.30 - the latest you'll be allowed to disembark, and enjoy a leisurely breakfast while the herd is milling around the gangway.

Journey time to LHR on a Saturday will be under 90 minutes so you'll be there about 4 hours ahead of flight time - that gives you a window of more than two hours for unexpected delays :)

John thank you for all you excellent information on these threads. Based on your information above, would there be any problem booking a flight departing London Heathrow at 12:15pm? Princess states our ships (Sapphire Princess) arrives at 5:00 am - however unsure how soon we could disembark. Princess also states not to book a flight that departs before 12:00 noon. Based on your information above, I'm wondering if 12:15pm is cutting it a little too close.

Now that is getting tight unless you leave by 7-30am with a pre booked car waiting for you, as you need to be at LHR by 9-30am, also depends on which terminal, and where you dock. This would be taking your own luggage, not everyone can manage this!

As GrJ has posted, that doesn't give you a lot of wiggle-time, though I have heard of folk making flights at around 11am

You should be able to disembark unassisted by about 7am, the first tranche of regular assisted disembarkation is usually 7.30.

That half-hour earlier doesn't just give you an extra 30 minutes, it steers you clear of crowds for elevators, for immigration (tho lines are usually short) & a bun-fight collecting luggage in the terminal.

You need a private transfer car booked for, say, 7.15.

On a weekday morning the drive to LHR is 2 to 2.5 hours, that should put you at LHR by 9.45 - 2.5hrs before your flight time. That's plenty if there are no unusual delays en-route, but a serious accident can royally screw-up traffic on the motorway and on the few alternate routes.

What day/date is this?

If its a saturday or sunday, no worries. In fact you'd very probably be OK if you took ship's first LHR transfer bus though for two the savings would be minor.

If it's a weekday I'd still aim for that flight if there's no suitable flight later in the day, but there is a small risk.

Which cruise terminal makes little difference at that time of day, but which LHR terminal can make a difference of about 15 minutes.

Thank you for your information - it greatly helped in my decision to change the flight from 12:15 to 1:40 pm. I did not wish to end an amazing cruise with a nervous trip to the airport - just not worth it.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge