Mullet bay or Simpson bay

tiba99

Simpson Bay - lots of small condos, hotels and BNBs that are sparsely occupied right now - which is a good thing if you want to get away from the crowds. I think there is one public place at Simpson Bay that is open. I was there Friday and can recommend highly. It is called Karakter beach bar and restaurant. Food, drink, free lounge chairs and umbrellas, restrooms, shower. Get there in the morning before lunch, they will fill up. From Karakter you can walk a half mile down the beach and maybe see ten people.

Taxi ride is about half hour. Price depends on the number of people, I paid $9 per person for four people (each way).

When you go to get a taxi they will know what you want if you ask for "Karakter". Just make sure they don't try to take you to Kim Sha instead, which is a more popular nearby destination (but you don't want to go there).

Mullet I have not seen but I have heard that the facilities are basically a porta-potty and a guy selling drinks from a cooler.

Simpson Bay - lots of small condos, hotels and BNBs that are sparsely occupied right now - which is a good thing if you want to get away from the crowds. I think there is one public place at Simpson Bay that is open. I was there Friday and can recommend highly. It is called Karakter beach bar and restaurant. Food, drink, free lounge chairs and umbrellas, restrooms, shower. Get there in the morning before lunch, they will fill up. From Karakter you can walk a half mile down the beach and maybe see ten people.

Taxi ride is about half hour. Price depends on the number of people, I paid $9 per person for four people (each way).

When you go to get a taxi they will know what you want if you ask for "Karakter". Just make sure they don't try to take you to Kim Sha instead, which is a more popular nearby destination (but you don't want to go there).

Mullet I have not seen but I have heard that the facilities are basically a porta-potty and a guy selling drinks from a cooler.

Do you have any pictures you can share?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

“When you go to get a taxi they will know what you want if you ask for "Karakter". Just make sure they don't try to take you to Kim Sha instead, which is a more popular nearby destination (but you don't want to go there). “

Can I ask why not Kim Sha? Struggling to find an excursion for our upcoming cruise.

“When you go to get a taxi they will know what you want if you ask for "Karakter". Just make sure they don't try to take you to Kim Sha instead, which is a more popular nearby destination (but you don't want to go there). “

Can I ask why not Kim Sha? Struggling to find an excursion for our upcoming cruise.

Kim Sha is also known as Buccaneer Beach Bar. It is a public beach close to condominiums.

Cruise lines offer trips to Buccaneer, with beds supplied on a first come first served basis. In essence, they take your money but do not garantee a bed.

So, if you were holidaying in a large condo complex, and wanted a bed on the beach, would you kindly wait until all the ship's guests had arrived, or grab one before?

Hence the phrase "First come....."

Consider Mullet or Simpson

PS: Kim Sha (Buccaneer) is not part of Simpson Bay

There are those who have, and those who have Yachts.

Do a pre Irma search on Kim Sha beach. You won’t find much but it was there long before now.

To me it’s a drive by beach. I only went in the water there on a couple occasions and we had a timeshare in this area for 25 years.

Here are some photos:

Simpson Bay Beach

IMG_7253.jpg

Karakter Beach Bar and Restaurant

IMG_7345.jpg

Karakter Beach Chairs

IMG_7363.jpg

Simpson Bay

IMG_7271.jpg

Thank you for sharing [emoji5][emoji5][emoji5]

Looks great and exactly what I’m looking for

Thank you this looks perfect ! were there any problems getting a taxi back to the cruise port ?

Thank you this looks perfect ! were there any problems getting a taxi back to the cruise port ?

No problems for us. When the taxi dropped us off we made arrangements for him to come back and pick us up, and he was there as scheduled.

Allow a half hour to travel by taxi. The distance is not far but there is construction going on near the port that has the one road into the port reduced to one lane and traffic in each direction alternates going through that stretch..

• 3 weeks later...

We took your advice and went to Karakter while in St. Maarten. We loved it! Thank you so much for your advice!

Lisa

We took your advice and went to Karakter while in St. Maarten. We loved it! Thank you so much for your advice!

Lisa

I am glad you enjoyed it. For us it was a nice, uncrowded beach day.

When I was there I took photos of some of the huge yachts anchored in Simpson Bay. This afternoon I was browsing through my photos and looked up some of the ships online. I found all kinds of interesting information, a couple of the boats even have their own Wikipedia page.

I am glad you enjoyed it. For us it was a nice, uncrowded beach day.

When I was there I took photos of some of the huge yachts anchored in Simpson Bay. This afternoon I was browsing through my photos and looked up some of the ships online. I found all kinds of interesting information, a couple of the boats even have their own Wikipedia page.

Thank you for this and thank you to Lisa (Scagos5) for your input as well. We were debating between Mullet and Karakter as well, now we know where will go in a couple of weeks. Yeah! :D:D:D

Now we only have Antigua to figure out :confused: Thanks a lot.

• 5 months later...