Scuba girl....please answer!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:06 PM.
29 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Scuba girl-

We are headed to Nassau in late February mid week and are in port from 7am to 2pm. We are looking for a beach to hang out at with cheap beer and some shade for the older folks, or even a bar for them to sit at on the beach while us youngins get some sun. We are not picky but would like to get off the boat and be in the sun drinkin by 9am. I looked into the BC Hilton, but I think it might be just too quiet for our rowdy group of 10. Any suggestions from you would be greaty appreciated. Thank you

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UP NEXT: Carnival Breeze 8 NIGHTS--Southern Caribbean

Carnival Breeze 3/14
Carnival Breeze 9/12---Mediterranean Cruise
Carnival Dream 3/12
Carnival Valor 2/09
Carnival Miracle- 4/08
Carnival Valor- 3/07
Carnival Conquest -2/03
12,044 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by Irishgal27
Scuba girl-

We are headed to Nassau in late February mid week and are in port from 7am to 2pm. We are looking for a beach to hang out at with cheap beer and some shade for the older folks, or even a bar for them to sit at on the beach while us youngins get some sun. We are not picky but would like to get off the boat and be in the sun drinkin by 9am. I looked into the BC Hilton, but I think it might be just too quiet for our rowdy group of 10. Any suggestions from you would be greaty appreciated. Thank you

BCH bar is closed during the week. so that's probably not where you want to go.

the only place I can suggest is cable Beach.. Either the All inclusive Breezes [$55) (adults Only) or the Wyndham. ($40 with lunch).

Only places you'll find a bar AND a beach.

Of course the other option is to bring a folding cooler, fill it with beer from the local liguor store.. and head to the free beach just outside of town. (1/3 mile west of the port).
Maryland
500 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by scubagirrl

the only place I can suggest is cable Beach.. Either the All inclusive Breezes [$55) (adults Only) or the Wyndham. ($40 with lunch).

Of course the other option is to bring a folding cooler, fill it with beer from the local liguor store.. and head to the free beach just outside of town. (1/3 mile west of the port).
My DH and I are going on a B2B cruise on the Majesty this April. We will be in Nassau two days, once day during the week and the other day is Sun (Easter SUN). Since I have read the bar is open on the weekends only, we thought we would go to BCH on SUN and walk around town etc. during the week.

Do you know if they will not have the bar and food open on Easter Sunday? We are leaning toward the Island Marketing deal.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Cruising!

Future cruises:
Grandeur of the Seas - October 2016
Harmony of the Seas - March 2018

Past cruises:
Carnival Elation - July 2016
Adventure of the Seas
- RCCL - March 2016

Allure of the Seas
- RCCL - August 2015

Serenade of the Seas
- RCCL - March 2015

Jewel of the Seas - RCCL - August 2014
Oasis of the Seas - RCCL - April 2014
Grandeur of the Seas
- RCCL - December 2013
Independence of the Seas - RCCL - March 2013
Freedom of the Seas
- RCCL - November 2012

Allure of the Seas
- RCCL - June 2011

Navigator of the Seas - RCCL - January 2011
Radiance of the Seas - RCCL - August 2010
Serenade of the Seas - RCCL- December 2009
Majesty of the Seas (B2B) - RCCL - April 2009
Valor - Carnival - November 2008
Monarch of the Seas - RCCL - July 2008
Liberty of the Seas - RCCL - March 2008
Majesty of the Seas- RCCL - November 2007
Pride of Hawaii - Norwegian - April 2007
Sovereign of the Seas - RCCL - November 2006
Navigator of the Seas - RCCL - November 2005
Majesty of the Seas - RCCL - May 2005
Explorer of the Seas - RCCL - November 2004
Fascination - Carnival - February 2004
Pride - Carnival - June 2003
Adventure of the Seas - RCCL - April 2002
Destiny - Carnival - April 2000
Paradise - Carnival - April 1999
Inspiration - Carnival - April 1999
Imagination - Carnival - March 1998
The Big Red Boat - September 1991
12,044 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by CruisersfromMD
My DH and I are going on a B2B cruise on the Majesty this April. We will be in Nassau two days, once day during the week and the other day is Sun (Easter SUN). Since I have read the bar is open on the weekends only, we thought we would go to BCH on SUN and walk around town etc. during the week.

Do you know if they will not have the bar and food open on Easter Sunday? We are leaning toward the Island Marketing deal.
Sorry, I have no idea. I would assume that bar would be open, but I don't know if any one really knows for sure at this point. There's alot of construction going on at the hotel itself (not the beach/pool) and I dont know how this will affect the Patio Grille.. or even the amount of visitors.

I've been told the beach and pool will remain open.. but the rest is up in the air.

Things change on a regular basis these days.. and all hotels base their day on their occupancy rates and bookings.
IOPSC
7,108 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Sorry, I have no idea. I would assume that bar would be open, but I don't know if any one really knows for sure at this point. There's alot of construction going on at the hotel itself (not the beach/pool) and I dont know how this will affect the Patio Grille.. or even the amount of visitors.

I've been told the beach and pool will remain open.. but the rest is up in the air.

Things change on a regular basis these days.. and all hotels base their day on their occupancy rates and bookings.
From the people we talked to last weekend it is a scary time. A hotel may be opened or may close at any time. If the Sheraton SHUTS down completely til spring break anything can happen.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Big Red Boat/Carnival/Royal Carib/Celebrity/NCL
12,044 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by bobsfamily
From the people we talked to last weekend it is a scary time. A hotel may be opened or may close at any time. If the Sheraton SHUTS down completely til spring break anything can happen.
The sheraton is not shut down.
Georgia
5,893 Posts
Joined Dec 2006

Scuba Girl.....what's the name of the free beach? My daughter & her husband are coming in October on a 3 day cruise & cannot afford the all inclusive prices. Thanks in advance
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dianne

Carnival Glory - 11/03/03
Carnival Destiny - 11/27/05
Carnival Glory - 2/3/07
Mariner of the Seas - 4/25/08
Disney Wonder - 11/2/08
Carnival Glory - 2/7/09
Emerald Princess - 11/8/09
Freedom of the Seas - 5/9/10
Freedom of the Seas - 11/7/10
Disney Dream - 5/22/11
Carnival Dream - 10/22/11
Carnival Fascination - 1/16/12
Carnival Fascination - 4/28/12
Carnival Dream - 10/20/12
Carnival Fascination - 01/28/13
Carnival Fascination - 04/27/13
Allure of the Seas - 11/3/13
Freedom of the Seas - 4/6/14
Freedom of the Seas - 8/31/14
Carnival Liberty - 11/28/14
Brilliance of the Seas - 2/23/15 (cancelled FOG cruise )
Brilliance of the Seas - 4/11/15
Freedom of the Seas - 6/14/15
Enchantment of the Seas - 9/21/15
Freedom of the Seas - 9/27/15
Disney Dream - 4/4/16
Freedom of the Seas - 5/15/16
Freedom of the Seas - 10/2/16
Oasis of the Seas - 1/15/17
Oasis of the Seas - 3/26/17
Oasis of the Seas - 8/27/17
Oasis of the Seas - 10/22/17
Brilliance of the Seas - 11/23/17
Oasis of the Seas - 4/29/18
IOPSC
7,108 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
The sheraton is not shut down.
I'm sorry that is the one on GBI... we were told 3 towers were closed at Wyndham/Sheraton complex and that the hotel next door was closed.... So sorry for the incorrect info about the Nassau Sheraton.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
12,044 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by bobsfamily
I'm sorry that is the one on GBI... we were told 3 towers were closed at Wyndham/Sheraton complex and that the hotel next door was closed.... So sorry for the incorrect info about the Nassau Sheraton.
Yes, Our Lucaya's Westin/Sheraton complex is the one you are talkng about in Freeport. Westin is getting all guests at this time.
This should change as of Presidents week.
29 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Are there random bars on Cable Beach or only breezes and the Wyndham??? We were hesitant to go to breezes because we heard it isn't open until 10am?? Would we just take a taxi to the free beach and how are the people around it??
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UP NEXT: Carnival Breeze 8 NIGHTS--Southern Caribbean

Carnival Breeze 3/14
Carnival Breeze 9/12---Mediterranean Cruise
Carnival Dream 3/12
Carnival Valor 2/09
Carnival Miracle- 4/08
Carnival Valor- 3/07
Carnival Conquest -2/03
IOPSC
7,108 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Are there random bars on Cable Beach or only breezes and the Wyndham??? We were hesitant to go to breezes because we heard it isn't open until 10am?? Would we just take a taxi to the free beach and how are the people around it??
We were are Wyndham 2 Saturday's ago and other than the complex did not see any "random" bars.... Breezes is open earlier but they may have 10am as to when they allow "day trippers" I would really advise not going to the "Free" beach. Pay a little and be safe.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
12,044 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
No.. no public beach bar. Just those that are part of the cable beach resorts or Breezes.

THe public beaches east of breezes are unsafe. Stick with those with life guards.
12,044 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by GTO-Girl
Scuba Girl.....what's the name of the free beach? My daughter & her husband are coming in October on a 3 day cruise & cannot afford the all inclusive prices. Thanks in advance
The free beach just outside of town is Lighthouse beach.. It's just around the corner from the Hilton at the edge of town.

No bar or grill, so you should bring your own. There's sometimes a hot dog vendor cart with soda.. but he's not always around.
12,044 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by SusieCruisie
What do you get for the $20 pp at BCH? Is it just beach, or pool also? Any rentals like tubes or floats? Thanks
Beach and Pool, chaise and towels. They have kayaks for your use.
IOPSC
7,108 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
I just checked my itinerary, will be there on a Thurs, so I guess no bar huh???
You walk by Senor Frogs... get a couple to go.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
12,044 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
I just checked my itinerary, will be there on a Thurs, so I guess no bar huh???

There is beach and pool service for drinks and food.. just no bar open.

Who knows.. they may reopen it if they get enough guests to make it worthwhile.
IOPSC
7,108 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Who knows.. they may reopen it if they get enough guests to make it worthwhile.
Let's pray it changes EVERYWHERE... more money in the US means more vacations and more money in the Bahamas.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DC Area
31 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
I'm looking for the same answer. Two adults wanting a relaxing beach day in Nassau. Sunning on a nice sandy beach, swimming, possible snorkeling and some cold beer would be ideal.

It looks like our choices are:

An all inclusive such as Breezes that charges per person for beach and pool access. Are food and all drinks included in the price? Any other amenities.

A public beach like Cabbage Beach with a stop at a local store for some cold beer on the way. Any other public beaches worth recommending? Best way to get there? Taxi?

The Hilton with a quiet beach and pool, bar on weekends only (not Friday).