Driving to Seattle night before cruise....which hotel, transfers etc.

Marieze

Hi Everyone!

I live in Portland and in my enthusiasm about our cruise pre-purchased roundtrip business class train tickets to Seattle. I had figured that when we got off the week long Alaska cruise it would be nice to just get on Amtrak and not deal with any traffic etc.

But now I'm curious....I was thinking that there is only one train to arrive prior to the ship leaving and if something were to happen we would just end up driving....then I thought well, maybe we should just go up Friday morning, spend the night....do a little sightseeing and be one of the first to board the ship in the morning!

Do any of you have any hotel suggestions, whereby, I could leave my car there for the duration of the cruise (do you think that's safe) and have them drop us off where the porters are, and come back to get us at the end of the cruise or just take a taxi?

Any thoughts are welcome!!!!

Marie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi. I am not sure it is available when you are going and I don't think this option is available at all times....but the Hilton offers a "park and Cruise" option under special offers which includes 7 days of "free" parking, one nights stay and free transport to and from the pier. It is a higher price then just the room rate but it might be worth it. Especially with the cost of the cab to and from your parking place/pier. We stayed just on the other side of the Hilton at the Kimpton one time and it was a safe area. We were going to stay at the Hilton this time but we missed out on my husbands employee discount so we are researching other options. If the website won't let you book it, don't be afraid to call and talk to someone to see if it is actually available.

We love Seattle and we are coming in on Thursday and then staying that Saturday and going back to Tennessee on Sunday after the cruise so we can enjoy it. Of course we are QUITE A BIT farther then Portland.

Hi Marie,

We stayed a night in Portland last year with some lovely friends we met on a previous cruise, and then caught the amtrak to Seattle the day before the Cruise to Alaska, we stayed at the Red Lion Hotel , walked from the Amtrak to light rail, a couple of mins walk, then walked up the street to the Red Lion, great place to stay as it was right in the centre of everything, got a taxi to the cruise terminal next day, after cruise got taxi back to Amtrak Station

Marie

Ten years ago this summer we took the Coast Starlight up from Oxnard (the closer station to us didn't check luggage) to Seattle. Before we booked the train, I checked the arrival times over the course of a few months (yes, I'm that OCD about planning travel), and found that most of the time, the train was at least a few hours late in getting in to Seattle. So I booked a Friday night arrival for a Sunday cruise. We were so glad because the train had to sidetrack a lot (every time a freight train needed the track, it got priority over the Amtrak train). We were scheduled to get in around 8:20 and we arrived around 11:30pm. There were also major plumbing problems on that trip so we were so glad to finally get to our hotel to use the facilities there. We spent that Saturday getting in a little sightseeing (first time in Seattle for hubby and our girl), a little shopping for soda, wine, laundry detergent, etc) and relaxing after the train trip.

The only time we wouldn't get in to our embarkation city the night before is when we're leaving from the Port of LA, because it's only an hour's drive for us...and even then, we try to be in the car by 9 or 10am.

If I were you, I would get to Seattle at least the day before no matter whether you're driving or taking the train so you'll be relaxed the day of your cruise.

Sleep Inn near the airport gets lots of great reviews on this forum. The hotel is also partner with Seattle Express for shuttle to either pier. I believe they have a park and fly option.

Google Seatac park and fly to find hotels. Parking is expensive in and around Seattle. Just a fact.

If the train schedule works for you, go ahead and take it, but a day earlier.

There is parking at the pier. http://www.portseattle.org. And there's also a private lot (a bit cheaper) nearby at Smith Cove, secure. Google Smith cove parking

Edited by mapleleaves