Epic - planning Specialty Dining and Shows

nolansmama

Hi all

We're sailing the Epic 10 day western Caribbean in January. Party of 5 with 2 kids 6 and 9. I'm coming up on my window for making my 3 specialty dining reservations.

I am leaning toward

Teppanyaki - maybe Day 1 since MDRs will be a little more chaotic

Moderno - mid cruise?

Cagney's. - late cruise?

Looks like all 6 port days have early aboard times so aside from scheduling around possible exhaustion from port adventures, anything else I should consider?

I think the only shows we are can take the kids to are Burn the Floor (This is family friendly, right?) and maybe a comedian? Mom and I might see Priscilla, but only if DH watches the kids or they go to the club. Howl at the Moon should be fun, but that is offered a few nights, correct?

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise.

The Cirque dinner show on the Epic is really good. I always plan that for our first night. I also like the sushi bar on the Epic and the Chinese noodles. Teppanyaki is fun but its no different or better than the hibachi places you could find in any town.

On a 10 night cruise, the promo dining package gives you 4 meals, not three. Since we're Platinum, we also get 2 extra meals, so we booked all 5 restaurants, plus Cirque Dreams.

Book Teppanyaki & Moderno first, so your SDP will book them at no charge. Then Cirque if you want it (they only charge you for the $10 or $15 upcharge). Then book the ala carte restaurants, which don't have a charge when booking.

Oh my gosh, i didn't realize we had 4 specialty dining spots. Well, my mom and son do for their cabin. Thank you for that tip!

We bought a 3 night SDP package for us, to accompany their perk, because for our cabin we opted for beverage + kid sails free. If we want to do a 4th night, we could A La Carte for the 3 of us, correct? Is there a downside to not using one of them? I do realize reservations could be tricky so the point might be moot.

I'm on the fence on the Cirque thing - this is our first NCL cruise. I don't want to over do it and try to cram everything in... do you think kids aged 6 and 9 will like it?

Thanks everyone!

On a 10 night cruise, the promo dining package gives you 4 meals, not three. Since we're Platinum, we also get 2 extra meals, so we booked all 5 restaurants, plus Cirque Dreams.

Book Teppanyaki & Moderno first, so your SDP will book them at no charge. Then Cirque if you want it (they only charge you for the $10 or $15 upcharge). Then book the ala carte restaurants, which don't have a charge when booking.

Thanks for the logistics advice! This makes lots of sense!!

If I'm pretty sure we want to try Cagney's, should I change my 3 meal SDP purchase to a 4 night to match my mom and son's perks? It seems like for $18 pp that's cheaper than paying A l Carte at Cagney's.

Does it matter if I do it now online, or later, onboard? Or after I confirm I can get a reservation at Cagney's?

TIA

in my experience book specialty restaurants and entertainment as soon as possible. they fill up.

I booked Teppanyaki night 2. I've found that to be delightful, my wife is a huge hibachi fanatic. she loves the Italian joint. and I like Cagneys last or second to last night. a little celebratory steak to end the trip.

If I'm pretty sure we want to try Cagney's, should I change my 3 meal SDP purchase to a 4 night to match my mom and son's perks? It seems like for $18 pp that's cheaper than paying A l Carte at Cagney's.

Does it matter if I do it now online, or later, onboard? Or after I confirm I can get a reservation at Cagney's?

TIA

It'll be cheaper to book ahead and to make reservations before, because the specialty restaurants fill up quickly. I really loved Moderno with the delicious buffet and all the tasty meats. Not sure if this is standard practice, but all the really good stuff came later when we were all stuffed! But save room for that pineapple!!! OMG it was so gooood! La Cucina was also very good, and Cagney's is a no brainer if you like steak. A lot of folks love Le Bistro, but it's not to my taste. I would definitely take the kids to cirque dreams as there's not a lot of shows geared for kids, I think. It's not expensive with the dining plan.

Have fun planning :D