Just How Safe in Montego Bay?

Singer4Him

I keep hearing how unsafe this port is. Received an inbox from a friend who cruises a lot to mention it to me and again tonight, another couple who have been to all three ports told DH that if they ever went again, they wouldn't get off of the ship. Is it really this bad??? :confused:

When you port at MoBay, you immediately see that its basically a dump. Money has not been spent here like it has in other locations to give you that "yay! we're here" feeling. The "shopping" at the port is a largely empty warehouse with next to nothing to offer, so the first thing you really notice are the particularly skulky and/or aggressive "independent" vendors waiting for you to step out of the restricted area. Kinda creepy...

Once you get passed that area and head out to something else, you'll realize that it's just a small part of the experience. I'm not afraid of going into MoBay, but I prefer to stay onboard.

It's no more unsafe than any other port, you just have to pay attention. It's a shame that they haven't spent the money to make this a more "attractive" port. Just follow your gut when you get there.

We have been to Mo'Bay 11 times and have never had a problem.

You can get a taxi at the pier, to take you anywhere you want.

Remember you need to make your deal for price before you leave.

The driver will be your tour guide. Or the safest way is to book a personal

tour with one of the local tour companys. We have used the same company

for the past nine times we have been there. Check out there web site. It's

http://knowjamaica.com/:)Hope this helps you. And I hope you have a great Cruise.

We were there a month ago and I saw no reason to consider it an "unsafe" place. We enjoyed our visit to Doctor's Cave Beach and the Hipp Strip. Perhaps the only danger there was the heat. Heat stroke could be a possibility without the aid of Red Stripe Bold beer. It was very hot the day we were there, and we are used to heat and humidity.

I think that when you receive a negative response is from people who have an uncomfortable feeling with the surroundings. It is not from actually being a crime victim.

Not so. A few years ago we were returning to the ship on a van which was involved in an accident. While the driver was attending to the accident local thugs attempted to gain entrance to the van. After the police arrived the thugs were placated, but were not arrested.

I probably should have made a more detailed explanation. I would never say that there was not any crime because that would be ludicrous. However, I will quantify my earlier statement by saying that the vast majority of people that say Jamaica is dangerous have not incurred real criminal activity themselves however feel uncomfortable in the surroundings.

I live in Orlando, FL near "The Happiest Place On Earth" known as Disney World and unfortunately our crime is extremely high. Yes, it has dropped over the last couple years but has a long way to go for me to feel safe when I am in the tourist areas.

I also, do not want to belittle your experience. That is a terrifying ordeal to go through. If that or a similar incidence happened to me I probably would not want to put myself in that situation again by returning.

Not so. A few years ago we were returning to the ship on a van which was involved in an accident. While the driver was attending to the accident local thugs attempted to gain entrance to the van. After the police arrived the thugs were placated, but were not arrested.

I keep hearing how unsafe this port is. Received an inbox from a friend who cruises a lot to mention it to me and again tonight, another couple who have been to all three ports told DH that if they ever went again, they wouldn't get off of the ship. Is it really this bad??? :confused:

It depends on what your definition of not bad. Its a third world country with poverty, therefor pretty bad for some. In terms of safety you should be fine, but there are people with bad luck that trouble follows. This is what you will see entering Montego Bay. You can catch a cab or shuttle to Dr Cave beach, Margarittaville or both.

People can 'feel' unsafe in places that are reasonably safe. I am terrified of going to NY city. Many people like myself go to NY and return without incident, yet I think I think the worse will happen. Is NY that bad, for me yes:D

• 3 weeks later...

A group of us (10 of us) took a taxi van to M'ville in MoBay. When the driver dropped us off, he told us not to leave M'ville and go to the left (if you're in front of M'ville). We asked why and he said because it goes into a bad area.

We didn't feel unsafe, but we did as he advised and did not leave the area. We walked next door to a small shop and bought a few things.

We originally had the driver scheduled to come get us at 4pm, but we hated M'ville, (absolutely the worst one we have ever been to) so we had him come back several hours earlier. The hostess at M'ville called him for us and while we were waiting, she told us not to leave the front area of M'ville. We told her that our taxi driver already advised us of that. So, that was 2 locals that told us the same thing, but again, that was only for the M'ville area of MoBay.:)

People can 'feel' unsafe in places that are reasonably safe. I am terrified of going to NY city. Many people like myself go to NY and return without incident, yet I think I think the worse will happen. Is NY that bad, for me yes:D

NYC is nothing like what you see on TV or in the movies. We've been numerous times and I have never felt unsafe. To be completely honest, I felt more safe in NYC that I did in New Orleans. That is one city where you have to be careful about the alleys you walk down. :)

I bet if you ever visited NYC, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.:D

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Montego Bay this past June and a cab driver was shot & killed outside of Margaritaville. I know that was an isolated incident and I would not stay away from Margaritaville.... but my point is you just have to be very careful. I was shocked even though I live in New Orleans and I'm used to hearing about murders everyday.

Archived