Has anyone used My Friend Mario?

aprill121

Aprill, I used My Friend Mario, as have several others on this forum. A search of his name on this forum will bring you the good and the bad about his tours. The original Mario is retired but occasionally called into service. The business is run by his son, also Mario. We did a city tour of Panama City on a nice air conditioned mini bus. Pretty good value for $30 for about 4 hours. I'd recommend him. I wrote about our tour with him on our blog if you'd like more information on what to expect. http://appytales.blogspot.com/2010/06/panama-city-and-my-friend-mario-tour.html

I will be using MyFriendMario on Aug 5 while in Colon on the Carnival Freedom. I will post my experience when I get back.

cruising with cherbear but taking a different tour. will try and report back as well when we return

:o Just an FYI.... MyfriendMario is now charging $60 on his website so if you got the tour for $30, you got quite a deal!! I still think $60 is a bargain, if that tour is as good as it sounds. I look forward to hearing from the cruisers that take it next week. Have a great time and leave some sand for us!!

Has anyone else been asked to mail a deposit to Mario's sister in the USA for a private tour? (This is the only private tour where a deposit has been requested. We've scheduled three private tours.)

Hmm, I just took a look at Mario's website and he's done a lot of changes. The Panama City tour I took that cost $30 was for 5 hours and called PC21. I don't see that tour listed anymore but there is a 7 hour tour around Panama City - PC1 - for $40 that looks more or less like the tour I took. Still a good price. While we were on Mario's tour we ran into some people we'd met on the cruise ship who were on the Princess shore excursion city tour, also doing pretty much the same sights as us, but packed on a 40 passenger bus, not as personalized, and cost $79 or $89. Plus he looked absolutely exhausted when we ran into him in the French Quarter! Perhaps the $60 price belongs to one of the different tours Mario offers?

I really don't know why a deposit has been requested for a private tour. We paid for our tour in cash at the end when we were dropped off back at the marina. The only thing I can think of is might be connected to this. There were 2 people who did not show up for our tour even though we waited 15 minutes or so for them. They were Cruise Critic members and we took private tours with them at several ports. Later they told us another couple was interested in taking Mario's tour and so they said come along and we'll see if he has space. While still inside the confines of the marina they spotted a fellow wearing a T-shirt that said Mario on it and asked if he was My Friend Mario for their tour. Of course he said yes and had room for the other couple and took them to a car. While they were driving away they did spot the My Friend Mario tour bus in front of Bennigan's restaurant and realized their mistake. However their tour guide/driver gave them an excellent tour for a good price and they were very happy. So I'm thinking My Friend Mario may be requesting an advance deposit for private tours just in case his customers get sniped by the imposter Mario(s). If his customers get waylaid then he's out the time and money for the person booked to take the private tour group.

On the other hand there are several English speaking cab drivers/tour guides in the marina area who are very willing to take you on a private tour. You might want to consider playing it by ear when you arrive. This would be for Fuerte Amador which is a few minutes drive from Panama City. I don't know what your luck would be if you're on the Colon side for arranging tours on the dock.

Hi Appygirl.

Thanks for the information. Since we're going to the Embera Indian Village, we feel more confident going with a recommended guide. We were just surprised at the request for deposit, since we always take private tours and haven't been asked for a deposit before. We will pay the deposit when we get instructions from Mario, but were just curious as to whether others had paid a money order deposit to Mario's sister in Indiana.

Hi Appygirl.

Thanks for the information. Since we're going to the Embera Indian Village, we feel more confident going with a recommended guide. We were just surprised at the request for deposit, since we always take private tours and haven't been asked for a deposit before. We will pay the deposit when we get instructions from Mario, but were just curious as to whether others had paid a money order deposit to Mario's sister in Indiana.

When are going on the Embera Indian Village tour? I am going with my friend mario in Sept.

I would like to know if it is a reputable company?

we had a tour with myfreind mario on our march 2010 cruise on the coral princess .they were very good,we did the embera indians tour.

we had nice big bus with good air-con.we too had trouble finding them,so i phoned them at the port to arrange pick up .we had a nice lady from england doing our tour.they had a esky (ice box)with some beer & sodas for the trip.If your going to the waterfall take some water shoes it gets a bit slippery on the rocks.

Hi Terri.

No, we will not do the waterfall. We specifically requested to skip it since I believe you have to walk on rocks across a creek, and since I'm a clutz, I would certainly fall into the creek.:D Also, we're traveling with our granddaughter, who will be 6 years old, and we want to make this tour shorter than normal. We also requested not to stop at the Gatun locks. (We've gone through the Panama Canal and also spent time on the Yangtze River going through locks.) That's why we arranged a private tour.

• 2 weeks later...

We used My Friend Mario on Aug 5 in Colon. The tour visited the Panama Canal (Gatun Locks), "rainforest" (it was on an old US base), and the fort overlooking the Chagres river. We had a good guide "Rey" and about 20 people on the tour. Cost was $55/person which was less than anything we saw the ship offer.

Bus had drinks (water, soft drinks) and snacks for the group (no extra charge). Rey was very knowledgeable and provided good commentary.

Got back to the ship in plenty of time. Would definitely recommend this tour.

We used My Friend Mario on Aug 5 in Colon. The tour visited the Panama Canal (Gatun Locks), "rainforest" (it was on an old US base), and the fort overlooking the Chagres river. We had a good guide "Rey" and about 20 people on the tour. Cost was $55/person which was less than anything we saw the ship offer.

Bus had drinks (water, soft drinks) and snacks for the group (no extra charge). Rey was very knowledgeable and provided good commentary.

Got back to the ship in plenty of time. Would definitely recommend this tour.

we were there with ya and I agree with everything you wrote.

booking with them was easy. I'd use em again in a heartbeat. We were nothing but satisfied. The tour was CL001.

Hi All: Guess most using Friend Mario are on Carnival or Princess as it stops in Colon. I will be on Holland and seems doesnt stop Colon, stops at GatunLakes. Therefore, Mario says wont do tour from there. Guess i will have to book thru ship, unless Anne writes me back. Have great time all. We are going Nov 23rd, Elaine

• 4 weeks later...

Just an FYI to anyone who uses my friend mario in Panama. The company sent me a warning with my reservation confirmation. I pasted the warning from the email

WARNING

For all passengers on Cruise ships, taking our shore excursions.

Because we are the best tour operator in Colon, We have just found out that are some people impersonating us, especially in Colon Port. There are use copy of our sign and saying they work for MyFriendMario Tours, which is not true. If anyone is booking a tour through us, whether by email or phone, please be careful with anyone telling you that the tour has been changed or no space left in the Indian Village, beach or rainforest. We always accommodate so everyone can enjoy the tours with us. We use minibuses with capacity for 23 passengers and only few time we use small vehicle, Also, careful when you arrive at the canal and they tell you to pay your own entrance, (Beware) it is already included in our tours. If anything like this happens, please straight away, ask the personnel of the Canal to call us at the following numbers 6680-8894 or 6615-2271, and we will go and pick you up. We also will have somebody at the canal incase this may occur. Most important is to follow the instructions word by word, given to you both by email or phone so you can find us and at the same time avoid any inconvenience like this in the future. That way we can attend to you properly and have no confusion in the future.

They gave us the name of our guide already so I guess one would need to be very careful when looking for the company at the dock.

Kim

Just an FYI to anyone who uses my friend mario in Panama. The company sent me a warning with my reservation confirmation. I pasted the warning from the email

WARNING

For all passengers on Cruise ships, taking our shore excursions.

Because we are the best tour operator in Colon, We have just found out that are some people impersonating us, especially in Colon Port. There are use copy of our sign and saying they work for MyFriendMario Tours, which is not true. If anyone is booking a tour through us, whether by email or phone, please be careful with anyone telling you that the tour has been changed or no space left in the Indian Village, beach or rainforest. We always accommodate so everyone can enjoy the tours with us. We use minibuses with capacity for 23 passengers and only few time we use small vehicle, Also, careful when you arrive at the canal and they tell you to pay your own entrance, (Beware) it is already included in our tours. If anything like this happens, please straight away, ask the personnel of the Canal to call us at the following numbers 6680-8894 or 6615-2271, and we will go and pick you up. We also will have somebody at the canal incase this may occur. Most important is to follow the instructions word by word, given to you both by email or phone so you can find us and at the same time avoid any inconvenience like this in the future. That way we can attend to you properly and have no confusion in the future.

They gave us the name of our guide already so I guess one would need to be very careful when looking for the company at the dock.

Kim

Please report back after your cruise. We have booked him for Feb. for CL001, so I guess we'll get the same info when it gets closer. Thanks.

We are booked for CL003. Mostly everything that I have read has been positive. The one that kept popping up is they get u back to the ship on time but cut it close. All my emails have been answered very promptly and so far I am have been impressed. I guess they just want you to know that there are people out there impersonating them and to be extra cautious when you get off the ship. We leave soon and I will let you know how the experience was.

Kim

My two daughters, two granddaughters (13) and (2) and myself are going on Freedom over Thanksgiving holiday . We have writeen several times to My Friend Mario - but we cannot decide on a trip with the two year old.

Has anyone been to the Indian Village in Colon Panama - with a small child in the canoe ?

Any other suggestions ????

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived