Just curious

Jeffrey1950

Any mail that is deposited in the mail box on board does it stay in the box until the end of the cruise or is it dropped off each port that is visited along the way. Also, what kind of postage is used and does it get a Queen Mary 2 stamp mark on it? Silly questions but I am sure I am not the first to ponder over this.

Thanks !!

Any mail that is deposited in the mail box on board does it stay in the box until the end of the cruise or is it dropped off each port that is visited along the way. Also, what kind of postage is used and does it get a Queen Mary 2 stamp mark on it? Silly questions but I am sure I am not the first to ponder over this.

Thanks !!

Dropped off at each port along the way. Not sure on your other 2 questions .

If you hand your letters or cards to the purser's office or Grills concierge they will be marked posted on board Queen Mary 2. The charge the last time I did this was $1.80. On eastbound crossings they were post-marked in Germany - even on a crossing that did not end in Germany.

On our recent Québec-Southampton voyage we put Canadian stamps on our cards and posted them in the pillar box. They were taken off at each Canadian port. The four we sent were taken off in Halifax and I am told they arrived at their destinations promptly.

Also, what kind of postage is used and does it get a Queen Mary 2 stamp mark on it?

Yes, it is postmarked QM2. Frankly, I have no idea how the postage works. You're charged a flat rate to mail a postcard anywhere in the world from that port and you're charged in USD. The postage isn't applied in front of you. I would think the postage would have to be in the denomination of where it's being mailed from.

I have friends still awaiting the arrival of their postcards that I mailed to them onboard several years ago. Other times I have posted cards and letters while onboard and it has taken several weeks for them to make their final destination.

Those that made it as intended had an ink stamp from the ship that they were mailed onboard, but the post office stamps were not officially cancelled as in the old days "Posted at Sea: Paquebot Mail."

I have friends still awaiting the arrival of their postcards that I mailed to them onboard several years ago. Other times I have posted cards and letters while onboard and it has taken several weeks for them to make their final destination.

That is unfortunate. We mailed postcards to the US and the UK from Southampton and they all made it to their destinations. The domestic postcard took a day or two.