Some last minute questions ....

Jeffrey1950

It is getting closer to my sail date of Nov. 26th, on board the Queen Mary 2. Here are a few questions I may be repeating myself on some. Here goes ....

Do you tip for room service and if so what is a decent amount. I always tip on other ships but in the past read that most people do not on his ship.

As I am not a younger person when I arrive at the terminal will there be a luggage/ trolley available should I need it and for when I get off the ship?

At dinner should you order a drink with your meal do you hand them your room card ?

Thank you !!!

It is getting closer to my sail date of Nov. 26th, on board the Queen Mary 2. Here are a few questions I may be repeating myself on some. Here goes ....

Do you tip for room service and if so what is a decent amount. I always tip on other ships but in the past read that most people do not on his ship. - Not usually

As I am not a younger person when I arrive at the terminal will there be a luggage/ trolley available should I need it and for when I get off the ship? - Normally - yes

At dinner should you order a drink with your meal do you hand them your room card ? - Yes

Thank you !!!

andhow

From the American viewpoint, I do tip a couple of dollars for room service. I know it is not necessary but when I order room service it is because I don't want to leave my stateroom. Having somebody bring it to me is worth a couple of dollars.

From the American viewpoint, I do tip a couple of dollars for room service. I know it is not necessary but when I order room service it is because I don't want to leave my stateroom. Having somebody bring it to me is worth a couple of dollars.

On other lines I always tip for room service so this I will do the same here. I do have two more questions perhaps you can answer as I know I have seen your name a few times on this board so you may be a bit of an expert on Cunard. When boarding the ship and leaving will I have to walk far ? I ask this as I have recently had four Laser Surgeries on my legs and concerned about having to walk a long distance. Oh, and one last question...I will be on deck six can you tell me how close that is to the Restaurant. Thank you and I will really appreciate any information you can give me.

When boarding the ship and leaving will I have to walk far ? I ask this as I have recently had four Laser Surgeries on my legs and concerned about having to walk a long distance. Oh, and one last question...I will be on deck six can you tell me how close that is to the Restaurant. Thank you and I will really appreciate any information you can give me.

I'd say to board you don't have to walk much further than the length of the ship & unless you arrive at a particularly busy time the longest you have to stand is waiting for the metal detectors. I think but couldn't swear there are wheelchairs available. Getting off in NY is a little further but not much & fewer opportunities to sit. There are escalators at both ports to take you up/down & lifts as well in NY & I presume Southampton. Brittania restaurant is in the aft half of the ship on deck 2/3, lifts nearby. Kings court buffet (and Carinthia Lounge which does lovely snacks & a couple of tempting breakfast options) is most of deck 7. If you can get hold of a Cunard brochure you can study the deck plans (worth doing although you do get a map when you board) You can also get deck plans on line but I find them harder to interpret that way.

When boarding the ship and leaving will I have to walk far ? I ask this as I have recently had four Laser Surgeries on my legs and concerned about having to walk a long distance.

"Far" is a relative term. I felt like it was a longer walk on arrival in Southampton than boarding in Brooklyn.

If you can't be on your feet for long periods of time, then make sure you don't arrive at peak check-in time - we waited for two hours to check in at the terminal in Brooklyn and had to stand the whole time.

I tip a dollar or two for room service. Possibly more on a holiday like Christmas morning or New Years Day.

In ports there typically are small shuttles (like a large golf cart) to take you from the gangplank to the end of the pier, which can occasionally be several hundred meters distance.

At a tender port you may be asked to demonstrate that you can step across an 18 inch gap unassisted prior to boarding the tender from the ship.

If you occasionally make use of a cane, carry it with you when you arrive for check in. The terminal staff are very good about giving priority check in to people with mobility impairment of even a minor degree (in Brooklyn the mobility impaired check in is at the extreme right side of the row of check in stations).