Honeymoon Help?

marycappuccio

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon in Australia in July 2005. We live in Philadelphia, US. Originally, we planned to stay in Sydney for 4 days and then fly up to Cairns for about 7 days for our honeymoon (we're divers). However, after looking into flight options (thank you turtlemichael!!!), we're thinking it might be cheaper to book our own domestic flight to LA ($250 USD), then fly with the Quantas Pass from LA to Sydney ($999 US) and pay the extra $100 to get to Cairns rather than fly to Sydney from Philadelphia ($1500 US) and book an Australian domestic flight to Cairns ($500 US). Any recommendations?

If we do decide to do the Quantas Pass, would be able to make an unplanned trip to Melbourne. Would anyone more familiar with Australia recommend a visit to Melbourne? What are the best things Melboune has to offer? Are there any hotels in particular that would be recommended?

Also, I would like to surprise my soon-to-be husband with something fun and romantic. Anyone have any fantastic recommendations for any of these three cities? We are in the earlier planning stages, so we are totally open and really need help! Anything people might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Mary

Originally, we planned to stay in Sydney for 4 days and then fly up to Cairns for about 7 days for our honeymoon (we're divers). However, after looking into flight options (thank you turtlemichael!!!), we're thinking it might be cheaper to book our own domestic flight to LA ($250 USD), then fly with the Quantas Pass from LA to Sydney ($999 US) and pay the extra $100 to get to Cairns rather than fly to Sydney from Philadelphia ($1500 US) and book an Australian domestic flight to Cairns ($500 US). Any recommendations?

If we do decide to do the Quantas Pass, would be able to make an unplanned trip to Melbourne. Would anyone more familiar with Australia recommend a visit to Melbourne? What are the best things Melboune has to offer? Are there any hotels in particular that would be recommended?

Also, I would like to surprise my soon-to-be husband with something fun and romantic. Anyone have any fantastic recommendations for any of these three cities? We are in the earlier planning stages, so we are totally open and really need help! Anything people might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, marycappuccio, and welcome to CC!

The first thing you need to know is that there's no "u" in Qantas. That's not just being pedantic - if you search for things on the Internet you may miss out on pages where Qantas is spelt correctly.

The next thing that occurred to me is that if you want to include Cairns in the pass, you could do that for $1199 and still have one more free domestic sector left over (three free ones come with the pass). In fact, you could even do a circle trip including Melbourne and still have one free domestic sector left over (fly to Sydney, first domestic to Cairns, second domestic to Melbourne, fly home from Melbourne).

However, if you can only spare 11 days in Australia, I wouldn't advise rushing around to be in more cities just for the sake of it. Frankly, a minimum of two weeks - preferably four - is necessary for Sydney alone.

I'll have a think about fun and romantic ...

However, if you can only spare 11 days in Australia, I wouldn't advise rushing around to be in more cities just for the sake of it. Frankly, a minimum of two weeks - preferably four - is necessary for Sydney alone.

Oh if everyone had 4 weeks for Sydney!

My thoughts are to look at what Globaliser said on using the Qantas Air pass.

If I were on my honeymoon I'd look at 4 days in Sydney and 7 days in the tropics, seeing you are divers. I'd go for either one of the nice islands in the Whitsundays, preferably Hayman but it is expensive (its also rated very highly), maybe Port Douglas out of Cairns at one of the 5 star hotels (Sheraton Mirage is glam), maybe Silky Oaks in the rainforest out of Port Douglas. Of the islands on the Barrier reef Lizard is very special but it will be an extra flight from Cairns.

For Hayman you fly to Hamilton Island usually. That can be done as part of the Qantas air pass as of course can Cairns.

The weather in Sydney in July will be cool and maybe damp. Not beach weather. But you'd have a great time anyway. In the tropics it is the best time of the year. Temperatures should be in the low 80's sunny days and blue skies. And you can swim in the ocean at that time . Diving is fine all year, it is just swimming off the beaches in jellyfish season from November to May is a problem.

Another option could be a liveaboard dive boat out of Cairns but as its your honeymoon you would not get much privacy. I guess it depends on your relative interest in yourt husband compared to diving!

Melbourne is my birth city but in July it will be cold and possibly bleak. It is a great place for restaurants, parks etc. I would save it for my second trip at a different time of the year and that you'll undoubtedly do!

You need to start to do some internet hunting. Good luck in the planning.

Mary,

I am a born and bred Melbournian and love our beautiful city - in fact to me it is the only place to live in Australia - but I would only visit in July if you came expecting cold weather. July is one of our coldest months and we can get the winds off the Antarctica during that time. Melbourne has a lot to offer, re the Theatre, Galleries, Restaruants, Shopping etc. It is so different to Sydney and you would see a completely different type of lifestyle down here.

I would not go as far as to say spend 4 weeks in Sydney, that would be too long. Two weeks would be ideal if you could spare the time. Even in Sydney, July is also the coldest month there and it can be very cold. I have been to Sydney many times in winter, and it can be wet, windy and cold. Our daughter lived in Sydney for 8 years and I went up every month for those 8 years so know the city well.

If it were me, I would spend 4 days in Sydney and then travel up north. Perhaps stop off at Brisbane on the way and then go on to FNQ. In Brisbane you could take a trip either to Noosa or down to the Gold Coast and see another way of life here in Australia.

For a special treat, I would definitely fly out to Hayman Island for a few nights or seeing you will be up in Cairns, why not go to Bedarra Island - where Sarah Ferguson has stayed amongst many notables - for a few nights. If you chose Bedarra, it would not cost you too much to get there from Cairns.

Here is a website which might be of interest:

http://www.poresorts.com/

All the best in whatever you choose. You have made a wonderful choice in choosing our country. :)

Jennie

Thank you! You all have given me terrific ideas and really helped to narrow our selection. We now know what to expect as far as weather is concerned, as well! Thank you!

We are so looking forward to this trip! It will be the trip of a lifetime for the both of us! I wish we had more time to spend in Australia, but I haven't racked up enough vacation time at work yet and my fiance has limited time off from school, so 2 weeks is all we really have to work with. We are so excited though.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Kind Regards,

Mary

G'day Mary,

Firstly, there is not a lot to see and do in downtown Cairns QLD. It is just a country town. The beaches, resorts, rainforests and activities are all about an hour north. There will be boats to the reef from Cairns.

Melbourne VIC is more confined than Sydney NSW but a fun place for shopping, sightseeing and dining. To get a feel for the city take a free tram ride around the perimiter. The free trams are red or burgandy in colour. Sydney (I am biased) is more scenic but big and it will take time to see just a few things. The Harbour Bridge climb is a must especially at dusk. You will need to book for a dusk tour.

Both Sydney and Melbourne are cold in winter but not as cold as your winter. Both cities will get down to about zero (cellcius 32oF) first thing in the morning but probably warm up to as high as 16C (61oF). No snow.

You will find the people warm and friendly and happy to say g'day.

You know, I have forgotten your questions. I'll leave it here, save the thread and pop back if I have forgotten your specific questions.

Cheers

Alan

Archived