QE2 Queens Grill - Dress Code Query

rjms74

Hello,

I am travelling on a 9 ngt QE2 Med cruise next month and will be dining in the Queens' Grill. Could anyone tell me if on an 'elegant casual' nigh, would a jacket & tie still be expected in the QG Rest? I seem to recall the last time I dined in this Rest. back in Dec '02 there was a notice as you entered the Dining Room stating something 'gentlemen are requested to wear jacket and tie for dinner'? I would be grateful if anyone could clarify this for me.

Kind Rgs,

RJMS74

Thames side,

Thanks for your reply. Now I am a little confused? I know re a QE2 crossing I've done the dress code is informal for 2 nights & 4 nights formal, but in an email from Cunard re the 9 night Med cruise later this month it does state that 2 nights are Elegant Casual & in the voyage info booklet it does not state that a jacket & tie are necessary for these nights? (incidentally for the other nights of the cruise 4 are informal & 3 are formal).

Kind Rgs,

RJMS74

We travelled on the QE2 for the Mediterranean treasures in August '04.

The Daily program on our first day contained the following advice:

"Dress code applies from 6.30pm every evening.

Formal dress: Tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit with tie for the gentlemen, cocktail dress or other evening attire for the ladies.

Informal dress: Suit or sports jacket and tie for the gentlemen, regular/cocktail dress or suit for the ladies.

Elegant Casual dress: Jacket and collared shirt for the gentlemen, skirt/slacks & blouse for the ladies."

"Shorts are not permitted for Dinner or Midnight Buffet in the Lido"

We had 4 formal nights (on sea days - Captain's Reception, Red White and Blue Ball, International Ball, Ascot Ball)

8 informal nights (first and last nights and port days)

2 Elegant Casual nights (11.00pm sailings after Naples and Rome)

We dined in Caronia, the formal nights were just that, almost all the gentlemen wore tuxes and the majority of ladies wore evening gowns. Very elegant, sophisticated and special.

There is a 'MossBros' Tuxedo hire store on board.

We are planning to go again, we loved it, and even our 15 year old daughter really enjoyed dressing up and acting like a young lady....

• 4 weeks later...

Just got home from a 19 day cruise on QE2. Ate almost every meal in Queens Grill. Men are required to wear jacket AND TIE on all formal and informal nights. We only had one casual night out of 19 and I was not onboard for that night. If you appear at the door of the Queens Grill with a jacket and not a tie, the manager will offer you a nice selection to wear. I saw them make an elderly man, who had on a very nice sweater and jacket, put on a tie over his bulky sweater. I even have a picture of it.

Have fun dressing up!

Grace

I too can concur with Grace re the QE2 Q's Grill having just returned yesterday from the 9 night Iberian Shores cruise. Even on the elegant casual evenings, gentlemen were requested to wear tie & jacket. After visiting the Princess Grill one day I noticed a similar notice as you descend the staircase just before the Crystal Bar with a notice to the same effect.

Grace - your 19 night trip, how did you find the very rough seas upon your return to S/hampton on the 21.10 - We could not board until late evening due to the ship's late arrival into port - i.e. 2.00 pm that afternoon & heard that it had been terrible weather in the Bay of Biscay & E. Channel? As a matter of interest we experienced Force 10 weather on our 2nd day crossing the Bay and also Forces 6 & 7 upon our return and we could not even visit Lisbon due to very bad weather conditions!

Kind Regs

RJMS74

Hi RJMS74! Congratulations on another Queens Grill Cruise. As Andrew is now maitre d’hotel he will be pleased if you do dress in jacket and tie on those casual nights.

When he was our host in the Princess Grill Andrew lamented the casual attire worn by some grill passengers and having observed it firsthand I can concur. On this six night sailing to Bermuda there were 3 formal nights that were less than formal for at least half of those in PG. He told us “wait until the last night (casual night) and you shall really observe the lowering of standards.” He was right. We wore dresses every night even though we had planned to wear nice pants and a jacket the last evening.

Jeanne

Archived