Question about Motorcoach transfer London/Southampton

Ken_W

I'll be taking the motorcoach transfer on 12/15 from Victoria Station to Southampton, and at this point I only know that the average trip time is two and half hours. So if anyone can tell me what time it usually leaves or is scheduled to arrive, whether there are refreshments on board, does it arrive right at the terminal or is there an additional form of transport or a long walk after getting off the bus?

Too much to hope there's a bar on board, right?

Hi Ken,

The motorcoach transport is a great way to get to Southampton. I took it last year from Victoria Station, and the hardest part was dragging my luggage to Victoria Station! upon signing in, they take your luggage, and you don't have to worry about it until you're in your cabin. The motorcoach is very comfortable, but no food is served on board, and definitely no bar. Sorry! Although they seat approx. 50 people, we had only about 6 on our trip. There was a very nice gentleman who gave nice commentary about the countryside during our trip. But it was probably because we asked him questions. Nothing too formal. I think the motorcoach left around 11-11:30am, and got there between 1-2pm. Sorry I don't remember, but it was awhile ago! It does arrive right at the terminal. All you have to do is hop off and go inside to stand in line for check-in. No hassles or anything.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!

One thing to be aware of there are several Victoria Stations. There is a railway station, underground station, coach station and bus station. The railway station and bus station are adjacent and above the underground station so no problem. The coach station is several streets away and always seems a long walk with luggage. I am not sure which one Cunard uses but it would be worth checking your documentation.

Several American passengers on QM2 told me that they had gone to the wrong station and had missed the coach. In one case they had then struggled to get alternative transport to Southampton at their own expense and stress. In another case the Cunard representative took petty on them and booked them free of charge on the Orient Express Boat Train (very smart) which was just about to leave. Though that was a nice upgrade you could not rely on it.

Hope that helps, Stephen.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CunardShipQM2/

That long walk with the luggage for several streets sounds like what we did, so it must be the coach station. :) But to be sure, I would call and ask. That would be awful to get there and find you're in the wrong spot. Good luck and have fun!!

My wife and I took the coach from Victoria to Southampton for the QE2's April 19 departure for NY. I'm almost positive it is the Victoria COACH station, but double check your documents and/or check with Cunard beforehand. The layout inside is a little like gates at an airport concourse....all numbered and with a waiting area with seats for each "gate".....just walk through until you see a little sign for CUNARD at one of the "gates". You just check-in with the representative, put your bags in the pile with everyone else's bag, and just wait to go. It seems to me that it was about 11:30AM departure from Victoria.....Of course, get there early...you don't want to miss the coach !!! No food or drinks aboard enroute. A nice drive. You do indeed arrive right at the Queen Elizabeth II Terminal (pier) in Southampton {named after the monarch herself, NOT our beloved ship, hence the Roman "II" , not the "2" like our ship !!}. It couldn't be easier !! My wife and I nevertheless will be going down to Southampton the day before and spending the night there before our sailing. The coach is a great & easy way to go !!! See you aboard !!!

Anchors away !!!

Tom:)

Oddly enough I did know, in an empirical way, that the tube/bus/train station is in one building and the coach station is two blocks further west (it's actually kitty-corner at the northwest corner of the third block) because I've walked by it. I've though, hm, well, a Victoria COACH station, how interesting.

I wonder if it would have occurred to me when reading the travel and transfer docs, when I get them, to realize that they say Coach Station and then later told the taxi driver, in my casual American a-bus-is-the-same-thing-as-a-coach way to take me to the Vicoria Bus Station....

I see how that would be an easy mistake to make, and not quite as easy to fix!

Hi Ken,

The motorcoach transport is a great way to get to Southampton. I took it last year from Victoria Station, and the hardest part was dragging my luggage to Victoria Station! upon signing in, they take your luggage, and you don't have to worry about it until you're in your cabin. The motorcoach is very comfortable, but no food is served on board, and definitely no bar. Sorry!

I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!

It's a pity that the Boat Trains no longer operate. I know there is the Orient Express but, given the fare, that is not a realistic option for most people. In the 1970s, the Boat Trains offered first class and second class carriages and accepted regular British Rail fares - even Britrail passes. I found that in the 1980s there was only first class available and a special higher fare that had to be paid through Cunard or P&O. There was either buffet car or trolley service and that included bar service.

On a P&O cruise in 1989, there was a special promotion where Canadians were given boat train tickets as well as a night before and after the cruise in a posh London hotel.

When I was in London last December, my DH and I hired a car and driver (not an actual taxi), provided to us by our hotel. We were picked up at the hotel, taken to Stonehenge for a tour and dropped off at the terminal. A great experience.

We have just disembarked the Royal Mediterranean cruise. One thing that amazed us was the price being charged for onward transfers for disembarking guests .. in the region of $100 per person for what seemed to be standard coach transfer.

American travellers in particular should note that there is a very good, scheduled "coach" transfer available between London and Southampton with standard fare being £12 ($21). It takes 2 and a half hours, and is run by national express (www.nationalexpress.com) from/to victoria coach station. Some, but not all, go to the southampton cruise ship terminal (so allow an extra £5/$8 for a taxi within Southampton). You can connect at Victoria Coach station for Heathrow terminals 1/2/3/4.

"Private sedan" transfers also seemed way over-priced and were always charged per PERSON (if you have a friend in england, ask them to book you a "mini-cab" which would be pre-arranged for a set fee - and should not be per person if say two sharing)

American travellers in particular should note that there is a very good, scheduled "coach" transfer available between London and Southampton with standard fare being £12 ($21). It takes 2 and a half hours, and is run by national express (www.nationalexpress.com) from/to victoria coach station. Some, but not all, go to the southampton cruise ship terminal (so allow an extra £5/$8 for a taxi within Southampton). You can connect at Victoria Coach station for Heathrow terminals 1/2/3/4.

This is an excellent idea, and National Express offers a special "FunFare" of only ONE POUND (about $1.80) on some coach departures to Southampton from the Victoria Coach Station. This sure beats Cunard's $75.00! Of course one would have to complete the journey to the Queen Elizabeth II terminal via taxi, but you would still get from London to the ship for about $10.00. Incredible deal.

National Express does have a limit on luggage though. Two medium suitcases and one carry-on per passenger.

If you have not yet booked your transfer with Cunard and are on a budget, this sure seems the way to go.

Archived