Breakaway & Bahamas - Several questions

barbpatter

Hi everyone...a few questions I was hoping someone could answer for me. Thanks in advance!

1. Storage in Inside cabin - I have been on NCL twice in a balcony and mini-suite. My boys (21 & 24) are cruising Sunday on Breakaway in an Inside cabin (IA). Is there the same underbed storage for suitcases? Obviously the closet area is much smaller as well, does anyone know if there are shelves for clothing or are they better off living out of suitcase?

2. I dont think they plan to go to pay restaurants, but if they do, are they limited to the number of nights they can go to places with up-charge?

3. Margaritaville - When hubby and I were on Breakaway last October, this eatery was opening the following cruise. Is this another pay restaurant or can they go there anytime?

4. VerizonWireless users - were you able to use your international plan at Great Stirrup Cay? Is it considered 'Bahamas' when looking at the countries that the VZW international plan will work? Could you use your DATA in Bahamas as well as voice/text?

Thanks so much in advance for any info ....additional tips are great too!! So excited for them...they have never cruised before! (Wish I was going with them!!)

1) yes, there is plenty of space under the bed for the suitcases. They are also lots of shelves and other cubby hole type things to store stuff in

2) there is no limit. you can go to as many specially restaurants you want. the only limit is the number of meals you purchased in one of the dining packages

3) there is some mixed reports of this place. Currently there is some kind of test period where it is about 15 dollars per person instead of ala carte

I haven't cruised yet, but I have Verizon and set it up. They said yes GSC is under the plan for the Bahamas. I paid the $10 a day for those two days we are in port. For my plan they said it'll be as if I'm in the States and can talk/text/ and use the internet

Edited by MTB25
Adding on

The top shelf on top of the closet, above the hanging rods is big & deep ... jeans & bigger items can go up there (and, it helped as we travel with & use packing cubes, a concept not embraced by everyone - keep items clean, neat, organized & easier to repack ... and less likely to forget an item when disembarking, soiled laundry items aside)

There are 3 or 4 smaller open shelves inside the closet, items like t-shirts & underwear, that can be folded into smaller size are fine. Use hangers for other items. There is enough floor space inside the closet for two (25") rollerboards - lay them flat & the top one can serve as an open shelf. Under-bed storage space for big suitcases, slide in-n-out with items not needed. Beside tables has open (top & bottom) shelves. There's an odd shape shelf behind the dresser table/deck for loose items, like shoes - and, the stool for sitting is a storage cube, move the heavy cover & flip open ... if more space is needed.

Can't speak for VZW usage at GSC, we have coverage via AT&T, T-Mobile & Project Fi, and had excellent cellular PLUS ship's WiFi signal on the private island - a new antenna/tower has gone up so it was a solid & reliable 3G+ signal while we're ashore, via roaming partner - "BTC" on our devices.

You might want to check with VZW about their int'l data coverage for the "Berry Islands" as GSC is part of that chain of islands, and, included in the travel plan. As for Nassau, it was solid 4G speed for us ashore ... have not read/heard of post-hurricane coverage issues in that area since, assumed it remained good. Voice & texting are definitely fine, as long as the smartphone used has the band coverage ... no issues with iPhones and/or Nexus (Android) devices as they have multi-band radios.

Hi everyone...a few questions I was hoping someone could answer for me. Thanks in advance!

1. Storage in Inside cabin - I have been on NCL twice in a balcony and mini-suite. My boys (21 & 24) are cruising Sunday on Breakaway in an Inside cabin (IA). Is there the same underbed storage for suitcases? Obviously the closet area is much smaller as well, does anyone know if there are shelves for clothing or are they better off living out of suitcase?

2. I dont think they plan to go to pay restaurants, but if they do, are they limited to the number of nights they can go to places with up-charge?

3. Margaritaville - When hubby and I were on Breakaway last October, this eatery was opening the following cruise. Is this another pay restaurant or can they go there anytime?

4. VerizonWireless users - were you able to use your international plan at Great Stirrup Cay? Is it considered 'Bahamas' when looking at the countries that the VZW international plan will work? Could you use your DATA in Bahamas as well as voice/text?

Thanks so much in advance for any info ....additional tips are great too!! So excited for them...they have never cruised before! (Wish I was going with them!!)

#2: The only limit is how much they want to spend on upcharge dining. Most of the upcharge venues are a la carte (only exceptions are Teppanyaki, Moderno, and the Dinner/Lunch shows in the Spiegel Tent), so they could theoretically go to multiple upcharge venues in the same night if they can get reservations/seats.

#3: Margaritaville is usually only open for lunch and carries an up-charge. All other ships have it as a la carte, but as others noted on Breakaway they are experimenting with a flat $15pp charge, but it has gone back to being listed as a la carte on ncl.com, so may be heading back to that pricing (hopefully). Apparently, there is also a small complementary breakfast buffet in there as well in the morning.

#3: Margaritaville is usually only open for lunch and carries an up-charge. All other ships have it as a la carte, but as others noted on Breakaway they are experimenting with a flat $15pp charge, but it has gone back to being listed as a la carte on ncl.com, so may be heading back to that pricing (hopefully). Apparently, there is also a small complementary breakfast buffet in there as well in the morning.

Thanks for the info! You are covered for drinks in Margaritaville with UBP though, right?

I haven't cruised yet, but I have Verizon and set it up. They said yes GSC is under the plan for the Bahamas. I paid the $10 a day for those two days we are in port. For my plan they said it'll be as if I'm in the States and can talk/text/ and use the internet ��

Perfect...thank you! Enjoy your trip!

The top shelf on top of the closet, above the hanging rods is big & deep ... jeans & bigger items can go up there (and, it helped as we travel with & use packing cubes, a concept not embraced by everyone - keep items clean, neat, organized & easier to repack ... and less likely to forget an item when disembarking, soiled laundry items aside)

There are 3 or 4 smaller open shelves inside the closet, items like t-shirts & underwear, that can be folded into smaller size are fine. Use hangers for other items. There is enough floor space inside the closet for two (25") rollerboards - lay them flat & the top one can serve as an open shelf. Under-bed storage space for big suitcases, slide in-n-out with items not needed. Beside tables has open (top & bottom) shelves. There's an odd shape shelf behind the dresser table/deck for loose items, like shoes - and, the stool for sitting is a storage cube, move the heavy cover & flip open ... if more space is needed.

Can't speak for VZW usage at GSC, we have coverage via AT&T, T-Mobile & Project Fi, and had excellent cellular PLUS ship's WiFi signal on the private island - a new antenna/tower has gone up so it was a solid & reliable 3G+ signal while we're ashore, via roaming partner - "BTC" on our devices.

You might want to check with VZW about their int'l data coverage for the "Berry Islands" as GSC is part of that chain of islands, and, included in the travel plan. As for Nassau, it was solid 4G speed for us ashore ... have not read/heard of post-hurricane coverage issues in that area since, assumed it remained good. Voice & texting are definitely fine, as long as the smartphone used has the band coverage ... no issues with iPhones and/or Nexus (Android) devices as they have multi-band radios.

WOW! What a great reply! Thanks. Made me feel like I was back in our mini-suite last year. I was just AMAZED at how much storage, plenty of unused space. I was sure I would forget something tucked away LOL.

Thanks for the info! You are covered for drinks in Margaritaville with UBP though, right?

That is correct. There is a small bar there where you can walk up/sit at if you just want drinks, but no food (since they do have some signature cocktails that use ingredients unavailable at other bars on the ship). The bar is called the "Chill Bar". It is open whenever the restaurant is open. (I personally would like to see it open longer, but hey there are more than enough other places to get cool drinks around the ship).

Margaritaville on the BA is open for breakfast from 8-10:30 (weather permitting). And that usually means when it's really cold they're not open. And once when the waves were 15 ft or so, they were closed.

They have pastries, breads, bacon, sausage, precooked eggs, egg sandwiches and big cinnamon buns. The burger grill area cooks eggs to order and has yogurt and small fruit cups.

I love the calmness up here, but ask my dh to bring me fruit from the buffet.